Game Development: Improved kin system

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Improved kin system

Postby Onionfighter » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:55 am

Excellent! I have been waiting a long time for this one.
Cheerleader
Onionfighter

Postby warrri » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:00 am

I love memorizing and giving you names!
The world I love The tears I drop To be part of The wave can't stop
Ever wonder if it's all for you
The world I love The trains I hop To be part of The wave can't stop
Come and tell me when it's time to
warrri

Postby loftar » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:08 am

Cain wrote:Although I see no reason not to just 'memorize' everyone I see. So whats the point of not just displaying names? Or can you not see peoples names anymore?

The reason not to memorize everyone is that you'd get tons of kinlist entries saying "???", which would make the system kinda worthless.

The point of not displaying the actual character name is that that never was intended to be possible anyway. I fully intend to make it possible to impersonate people. As I mentioned in the OP, this will actually make it possible for me to not display character names in the PM chat tabs anymore either. That one was to consider a bug to begin with. Making someone kin will change their nickname in the kinlist to his actual character's name, though.

I also plan to add the old bandit mask (the old players may remember the "bandits" roaming the map) as an equippable item, which will make it harder to memorize its wearer.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby memestream » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:10 am

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH.

This will change everything. Hell, it would have saved my life two days ago even.

PRO UPDATE! :mrgreen:
memestream

Postby dcastello79 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:18 am

This is a much needed update, thank you very much :)
dcastello79

Postby Cain » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:44 am

loftar wrote:
Cain wrote:Although I see no reason not to just 'memorize' everyone I see. So whats the point of not just displaying names? Or can you not see peoples names anymore?

The reason not to memorize everyone is that you'd get tons of kinlist entries saying "???", which would make the system kinda worthless.

The point of not displaying the actual character name is that that never was intended to be possible anyway. I fully intend to make it possible to impersonate people. As I mentioned in the OP, this will actually make it possible for me to not display character names in the PM chat tabs anymore either. That one was to consider a bug to begin with. Making someone kin will change their nickname in the kinlist to his actual character's name, though.

I also plan to add the old bandit mask (the old players may remember the "bandits" roaming the map) as an equippable item, which will make it harder to memorize its wearer.

Maybe I'm just slow. What I've been doing is 'memorizing' someone and then immediately setting their 'nickname' to whatever their name is, as displayed when I open up chat with them. Are you saying you're going to remove the feature that allows you to see the persons name if you're chatting with them and don't have them 'memorized?' Because I can still see everyone's name in pm's
I once dreamt of crafting beautiful thane's rings... then I discovered Big Bear Bangers. Now I smash beautiful things.
Cain

Postby loftar » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:53 am

Cain wrote:Are you saying you're going to remove the feature that allows you to see the persons name if you're chatting with them

That is precisely what I am saying. Now that the kin system works as it does, I can, finally, just display the given nickname instead.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Chakravanti » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:07 am

Some sort of 'autosort' that manages your kin list according to color codes you've assigned after pressing a button would be REALLY nice =D
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby NaoWhut » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:36 am

So would having Warri's bunny!
but i don't think we should ask
for either of those.
:(
ImageImage
NaoWhut

Postby Peter » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:38 am

Wonderful! Finally we won't have to wonder who all these strange people are!
Surprise.
Peter

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements