Planned downtime: Hard drive replacement

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Planned downtime: Hard drive replacement

Postby Jonesboro » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:25 am

I keep getting logged out every 2 minutes. I wouldn't mind downtime to speed up the RAID rebuild. Not like it's playable now anyways. ;)
Jonesboro

Postby loftar » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:29 am

Jonesboro wrote:I keep getting logged out every 2 minutes. I wouldn't mind downtime to speed up the RAID rebuild. Not like it's playable now anyways. ;)

"Getting logged out" wouldn't have anything with the I/O lag to do, though. That just means your Internet connection to the server isn't reliable for whatever reason, and indeed, looking at the logs I see that your connection is timing out repeatedly, which is, then, not related to any of this.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Jonesboro » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:41 am

loftar wrote:"Getting logged out" wouldn't have anything with the I/O lag to do, though

Just saying it was pretty stable before the disk swap. I don't know your server nor do I claim to be great at sysadmin, but I reckoned RAID shenanigans to be hogging cycles or something thus timing me out.

Either way, it seems okay now.
Jonesboro

Postby HarryDresden » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:43 am

loftar wrote:It's just standard hard drives with software RAID.

Gotcha. I'm currently looking at building a 15-16tb RAID 5 at home with WD Caviar Red 4tb's and a decent raid controller, and we just set up a 20tb RAID 5 at work, so it's fresh on the mind. Was thinking of going LSI or Syba for RAID controller.
Yes, I am a Wizard.
loftar wrote: bear fruit is not something I can predict,.

Beborn Beton wrote: "Don't Worry, They Won't Find My Body, I Want You To Know I Found Peace In Another World."
HarryDresden

Postby loftar » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:49 am

HarryDresden wrote:Gotcha. I'm currently looking at building a 15-16tb RAID 5 at home with WD Caviar Red 4tb's and a decent raid controller, and we just set up a 20tb RAID 5 at work, so it's fresh on the mind. Was thinking of going LSI or Syba for RAID controller.

I enjoy using RAID1 arrays in LVM (effectively RAID1+0) at home. I've considered RAID 5, but I like being able to buy disks of other sizes than my current ones when expanding the array.

I've also kinda wondered, really, why one would want to use hardware RAID at all, really, when software RAID gives such nice integration and monitoring in the system. It's not like I've ever noticed software RAID using any noticeable amounts of system resources, and it just feels very nice to have full transparency into it instead of having to use a hardware black-box.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby mvgulik » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:38 am

newwidget id: 53 type:lbl coord: (0, 0) parent:52 args: Server shutdown imminent. See the forums for details.
Aha, some Haven news. :)

"Haven eat a other harddisk"
Bon appetit.
mvgulik

Postby Seizure » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:35 am

How many hard drives has Haven consumed over the years?

Does it like snacking on other hardware too?
Seizure

Previous

Return to Announcements