Release Postponement: Eternal Alpha, Aug. 28th 2015

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Release Postponement: Eternal Alpha, Aug. 28th 2015

Postby epicless » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:35 am

jorb wrote:Amigos,

I realize that I will be breaking hearts and killing puppies with this announcement, but our ambitions for the new map generator have broken the release schedule a bit, and we will thus require another week to bring everything up to speed for launch.

Our new target date for release is now instead the 28th of August.

Deepest apologies.

Words cannot express my sadness.
Haven and Hearth News, Tutorials and the Stories of My Humble Journey
Epicless' Blog | Epicless' Youtube Channel
epicless

Postby Rador » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:14 am

Lucky my gf got some sweets 'n icecream for me...
Rador

Postby Potjeh » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:19 am

So what's this map-gen ambition? Seamless expansion? Sensible elevation map? Sensible river networks? Sensible biome distribution? Please pop the hype baloon, because right now I'm imagining a mapgen as realistic as the one in Dwarf Fortress.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby jorb » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:34 am

Potjeh wrote:So what's this map-gen ambition? Seamless expansion? Sensible elevation map? Sensible river networks? Sensible biome distribution? Please pop the hype baloon, because right now I'm imagining a mapgen as realistic as the one in Dwarf Fortress.

The ambition is probably best described as "make it better", quite simply, but the biome distribution and the height map have indeed been the big things. Also rivers and more structured object distribution are on the list. Time will tell how far we get.

The map gen is obviously something that we can spend an infinite amount of time on. It's a huge thing and it can always be improved further.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby spectacle » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:50 am

The map will be with us for the duration of world 8, so it makes sense to take the time to do it right.

(Also this delay is great for me since there's a music festival I want to go to on the weekend of the 21st :D )
Once a man has changed the relationship between himself and his environment, he cannot return to the blissful ignorance he left. Motion, of necessity, involves a change in perspective.
-Commissioner Pravin Lal, "A Social History of Planet"
spectacle

Postby Arcanist » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:54 am

There will likely be a wipe before the year is through but yes, the map will be with us for the whole world.
Arcanist

Postby Cece » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:04 pm

Could haven 2 address some of these issues?

1. two people can't fish on one boat, only the player on the front row can fish so if you want to fish together you must bring two boats...

2. once you raid anthills and run to the shore, the ants are supposed to get confused however if the second player raids after the ants become confused, they chase the second player like nothing has happened..

3. when two people enter the house and the guy that went in first doesn't move, the two players get stuck until someone logs off to fix it.. it would be nice to see this gone.

4. curiosity system is nice, but could there be more actions that grant lp? such as plowing field for 1 learning exp a tile etc, farming actions could also be more rewarding.

post pone reaction
Cece

Postby Bawhoppen » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:14 pm

Cece wrote: 4. curiosity system is nice, but could there be more actions that grant lp? such as plowing field for 1 learning exp a tile etc, farming actions could also be more rewarding.

When will people realise they aren't bringing back the old LP system?
jorb wrote:I am presently exhausted from twelve hours of non-stop developing and I am going to bed.
Bawhoppen

Postby nyaiee » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:17 pm

Cece wrote:4. curiosity system is nice, but could there be more actions that grant lp? such as plowing field for 1 learning exp a tile etc, farming actions could also be more rewarding.

You can run "out" of people if you use the max speed setting, as you teleport pixels, rather than just moving across them one bye one.
Sorry for the off topic post
nyaiee

Postby ArvinJA » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:40 pm

Take your time! My exam period ends on Aug 29 so... :)
The low life has lost its appeal
And I'm tired of walking these streets
To a room with its cupboards bare
ArvinJA

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements