Release Postponement: Eternal Alpha, Aug. 28th 2015

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Release Postponement: Eternal Alpha, Aug. 28th 2015

Postby jorb » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:32 pm

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:I find this a terribly sad prospect, and with the quality grind being what it is I can't see how this would be sustainable long term. There reaches a point where there's no point in continuing to grind quality, and a fresh start is needed.

Ideally the world would be able to seamlessly rejuvenate itself in all aspects.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby _Gunnar » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:16 pm

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:with the quality grind being what it is

do we even know what the quality grind is though? somewhere they stated some design goals involving meaningful progression which really make me doubt that its just going to be what it is in the current build.

i think a world where development is actually happening that lasts forever would be great, we'd be able to see factions rise and fall over time as they lose the will to rule...
(this already has happened in all of the worlds I've played, for various reasons..)
_Gunnar

Postby RubyRed » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:27 pm

I am expecting a tweeked quality system myself. I do not know how though, we will see soon enough.
RubyRed

Postby painhertz » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:31 pm

I think too many people are expecting business as usual with a new coat of paint and I'm thinking they'll be surprised when enough has changed to almost completely invalidate their plans.That's a big part of the reason I'm not going with the prevailing "Rush to a corner!" idea.
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby TeckXKnight » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:01 am

The rush to a corner idea is also time intensive and nets you no real benefit. Resources aren't going to be clustered at a corner and chances are it'll be faster to navigate to one from the immediate spawn zone, especially if we can compare maps with friends. Sure, it's probably going to take more than a half hour to find each other, but I assure you it's going to take a lot longer than that to hit the edge of the map. Anyone with half a brain is going to hit the ground running for a spot that can satisfy all of their short-term and long-term needs until they can start building quality and mining up metals.
TeckXKnight

Postby NOOBY93 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:08 am

TeckXKnight wrote:The rush to a corner idea is also time intensive and nets you no real benefit. Resources aren't going to be clustered at a corner and chances are it'll be faster to navigate to one from the immediate spawn zone, especially if we can compare maps with friends. Sure, it's probably going to take more than a half hour to find each other, but I assure you it's going to take a lot longer than that to hit the edge of the map. Anyone with half a brain is going to hit the ground running for a spot that can satisfy all of their short-term and long-term needs until they can start building quality and mining up metals.

The point of reaching the corner is if you intend to play with a large group. Without a world map it's virtually impossible to meet up with a large group of players in a short amount of time. Reaching a corner, which is the only possible point of reference, takes probably the least amount of time.
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby ninja_yodeler » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:17 am

ninja_yodeler wrote:Plz delay release date. I just broke my hand in a way that doesn't allow me to hold a mouse for weeks. Why you do this to me :cry:

This just in, I am God. ¦]
Phaen wrote:RIP Homicidal Ninja :(
Let us reflect upon the good he was able to do during his short time in the hearthlands.
Let us remind ourselves of his bravery and willingness to fight for the safety of his friends!
Let us hope he can surpass his previous achievements in his future lives.
<3
ninja_yodeler

Postby Denkar » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:37 am

_Gunnar wrote:
Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:with the quality grind being what it is

do we even know what the quality grind is though? somewhere they stated some design goals involving meaningful progression which really make me doubt that its just going to be what it is in the current build.

i think a world where development is actually happening that lasts forever would be great, we'd be able to see factions rise and fall over time as they lose the will to rule...
(this already has happened in all of the worlds I've played, for various reasons..)

I agree. That's been what I've always wanted the game to be. And I don't think it would be that hard to accomplish; simply by having natural resource rejuvenation and decay everywhere (including claims) I think the world would last for a much much longer time. The only "problem" would be the quality arms race, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with high quality items being common. After all, if everyone is using high quality items, then they're no longer "high" quality.
Denkar

Postby TeckXKnight » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:14 am

NOOBY93 wrote:The point of reaching the corner is if you intend to play with a large group. Without a world map it's virtually impossible to meet up with a large group of players in a short amount of time. Reaching a corner, which is the only possible point of reference, takes probably the least amount of time.

This assumes an inability to coordinate individuals to a relatively nearby location with the tools we have. Even if no new tools are introduced, the ability to automap makes it easier to find other players sharing their maps with you with the more players being introduced into the equation. Large groups that contribute their maps to each other will quickly find overlap and may be able to find one another in a matter of minutes versus the two days travel from the center of the world to a corner.

Even without constant voice chat we have instant messenger services at our disposal. Unless you're teaming up with random people online with which you'll maintain no contact outside of the game with, in which case yes, it will be exceptionally difficult for you to find one another.
TeckXKnight

Postby _Gunnar » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:51 am

If trading is going to be a thing I would have thought any faction with at least half a brain would want to be in the middle... If I was going to really try to be a big trader that would actually be a location worth fighting over, given that village teleporting is probably gone. Hopefully we have some fancy new roads. And we can rob each others caravans.

NOOBY93 wrote:The point of reaching the corner is if you intend to play with a large group. Without a world map it's virtually impossible to meet up with a large group of players in a short amount of time. Reaching a corner, which is the only possible point of reference, takes probably the least amount of time.

I really don't understand the logic here, or are they going to remove adding kin by hearth secret and party directions?
_Gunnar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements