Lesser update: Sheep and kin

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Lesser update: Sheep and kin

Postby Ajantis » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:52 pm

Truffles :O
It will be funny to see powerful players going around in forests with pigs searching truffles :D (And it would be nice to have another psy or psy/dex food, i'm losing my eyes exploring caves for cavebulbs! :P )
Ajantis

Postby warrri » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:59 pm

Ajantis wrote:Truffles :O
It will be funny to see powerful players going around in forests with pigs searching truffles :D (And it would be nice to have another psy or psy/dex food, i'm losing my eyes exploring caves for cavebulbs! :P )

As long as it doesnt give 50psy fep on q10 im fine.
The world I love The tears I drop To be part of The wave can't stop
Ever wonder if it's all for you
The world I love The trains I hop To be part of The wave can't stop
Come and tell me when it's time to
warrri

Postby Flame » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:42 pm

I just alert the creators that the game is becoming hardly playable for new players. Before, was hard to start 'cuz a new player need trees to start lp. You can found some or not, totally randomly in the first land and if you'r new and you go around to explore, you can also die BEFORE find a tree if no one alert you to go far away.

A new player should be able to start in a safety way. If other player destroy the land, new players are in hard time. Now the wool is rare so they can't claim and start a life.
Then the milk is hard, i don't know the sense to make so much rare the milk.
Little by little when you add something, beware of give something for new player. Alone, a player, can't play. If you'r lucky you start good. If you don't find anyone that help you, you quit in few days.

Actually the new player are like sheep in a land of fox. This isn't so good.
I hope you'r working on a way to let new players something to do, also if they'r not a Skilled Players.

Organize what a new player can do to live good, what can't do to be too much easy to life.
What a new player can't do, can do an old player. This is ok. Just try to check how can a new player live whitout be so much in difficulty.

(Sorry for my bad english. I hope the sense of what i wrote, reach the point)
Flame

Postby Coriander » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:57 pm

Let us shear dead sheep. Pretty please :)
When the all cutting blade meets the uncuttable stone - at times, the blade is sharpened
Coriander

Postby martinuzz » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:58 pm

I have been playing this game now for 6 days now I think.
It seems I have been lucky, in that I have acquired some wool and staked a claim just in time ;P

When reading the thread about cow taming, and people's sentiments, I thought : 'Aw well. It makes perfect sense that taming a Aurochs takes quite some skill and strenght. It is really hard and dangerous, in real life also, to try and subdue large hooved animals in a herd. A bit of a shame for us n00bs about milk availability, but I suppose that will be less of a problem once herd farming becomes more common. The combat requirements for subdueing seem a bit too high though.'

However, needing combat skills at all for taming sheep? Sheep are sheep. Unless they are wolves wearing sheep's clothing, they are harmless enough to chase with a rope and subdue them without much risk, in real life. On your own you would almost certainly capture one, although the other sheep would run away. I think that it could be better reflected in the game by just needing a rope equipped, and some (say 10) points of unarmed combat. to capture a sheep.

I do agree with other posters, who point out that the lack of wool for new players would be an illogicaly big shift of balance in favour of the veteran players. Even n00bs need to be able to build a dreamcatcher / claim land, lest they get robbed of the few things they have and still really need. Also, one of the charms of the game, for me, is being able to claim a piece of land, make it your home, and expand upon it.

I don't think that, to prevent influx of new players for a while, if that is really the programmers' intention, that condemning them to a month or more of pottery and breadbaking will accomplish that. If you would want that, an 'invitation only' system would be more effective.
I suspect that this change, as it is now, will only accomplish that people who grind pots at some riverbank they can't claim, will get a false, incomplete image of the promise of this game.

I doubt however, that the programmers' intention is to hold off new players, or to deliberatly disadvantage n00bs to a level that would break gameplay.
This game is in development, and the taming/breeding feature is really nice! It is given to us so we can test it, and provide feedback, as we do here.
So here's my two cents of feedback on the topic of animal taming, in short: The method of taming Aurochs seems fine, maybe a bit too difficult. The taming of sheep is very unrealistic, and possibly gamebreaking.

There are some fixes possible for the sheep:
- make sheep tameable as described above
- make it possible to harvest wool from wild sheep, as mentioned earlier.
- people with access to wool could just give away some dreams / wool to needy n00b players. Low quality, ofcourse, to disencourage alt abuse. It is not the most elegant of solutions though.
martinuzz

Postby Jevon » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:59 pm

^ That, or make dreamcatchers able to be built with plant fibres.
Jevon

Postby kimya » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:12 pm

how much damage do sheep do, and what combat skill do you need to not get hit? server is down, cant check it
kimya

Postby kimya » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:12 pm

Jevon wrote:^ That, or make dreamcatchers able to be built with plant fibres.

yeah and that...
kimya

Postby Chakravanti » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:20 pm

Neruz wrote:
Chakravanti wrote:Heh, no, you insulted the dev's intelligence, claimed they must not have put any foresight or thought whatsoever into the balance of their project.

Also, get a fucking sense of humor.

No, no i didn't, i said that from my perspective that seemed to be the case. I never claimed that my perspective was the only one, or even the right one.

Well you SEEM to be a dumbshit fucktard. I might not be right. It's only what I'm perceiving.

Also....

kimya wrote:
Jevon wrote:^ That, or make dreamcatchers able to be built with plant fibres.

yeah and that...

This^^
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby jorb » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:23 pm

Chakravanti wrote:Well you SEEM to be a dumbshit fucktard. I might not be right. It's only what I'm perceiving.

A bit uncalled for?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements