Secrets of The Hearth

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Secrets of The Hearth

Postby Alamarian » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:00 am

martinuzz wrote:
Alamarian wrote:Are you sure about that? AFAIK, Toady One and his brother work on the game in their spare time, not as a business.

Tarn Adams (Toady One) quit his job as a math professor some five years ago, to code Dwarf Fortress full time. He makes in between 2000 and 5000 US dollars a month in voluntuary donations by fans of Dwarf Fortress. His brother Zach aids him in providing game ideas, writing great stories, and doing all kinds of logistical stuff. He does have a side job.

Huh. The more you know.
"The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd."
Alamarian

Postby Neruz » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:29 am

Alamarian wrote:
martinuzz wrote:
Alamarian wrote:Are you sure about that? AFAIK, Toady One and his brother work on the game in their spare time, not as a business.

Tarn Adams (Toady One) quit his job as a math professor some five years ago, to code Dwarf Fortress full time. He makes in between 2000 and 5000 US dollars a month in voluntuary donations by fans of Dwarf Fortress. His brother Zach aids him in providing game ideas, writing great stories, and doing all kinds of logistical stuff. He does have a side job.

Huh. The more you know.

The fun bit happens when you work out approximately how much money he's made via donations and realise that he's doing pretty damn well from it in comparison to commercial devs.
Neruz

Postby Alamarian » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:35 am

Neruz wrote:The fun bit happens when you work out approximately how much money he's made via donations and realise that he's doing pretty damn well from it in comparison to commercial devs.

Just based on the per month figure, I know he's doing well. Unless he's an idiot, he has no overhead apart from his website server, so 95-99% of that is profit. Wish my business did that well.
"The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd."
Alamarian

Postby Neruz » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:43 am

Alamarian wrote:
Neruz wrote:The fun bit happens when you work out approximately how much money he's made via donations and realise that he's doing pretty damn well from it in comparison to commercial devs.

Just based on the per month figure, I know he's doing well. Unless he's an idiot, he has no overhead apart from his website server, so 95-99% of that is profit. Wish my business did that well.

Yeah, it's hard work, but he's definitely showing that there's a surprising amount of money that can be made if you get it right (and lucky).

The average commercial dev would not be upset at all to be recieved 2 - 5 grand a month. The fact that Tarn can live off Dwarf Fortress almost entirely is no mean feat.
Neruz

Postby Lothaudus » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:31 am

Vetarnian wrote:But even niche MMO's need a minimal number of players to be functional, and from what I have seen here, <100 is far too small for a game of this scale.

62 players online right now I'd say is pretty good for an Alpha. Especially one that's not being actively promoted and has an "everything will be reset" cloud hanging over it. Do you really believe an unfinished game that has so many acknowledged problems that the developers are still working on should be promoted? So what, we can have more whiney sods who whinge about everything not working and then RAGEQUIT? Remember, boats only came into this game a few months ago. About a month or so before that the entire map was reset. The last thing it needs is 200+ people whining about all the known bugs and an upcoming reset. All it needs if anything is a handful of testers, which are easily found from those already playing and however many else find the game through word of mouth.

Vetarnian wrote:And where you see an alpha, I suspect others merely see a free-to-play game with a lack of polish. It might be an alpha, but it's still offered for play to everyone.

Alpha state isn't about what it means to you. It's about what it means to the developers. In other words: It is not their intent to promote the game and seek hoardes of additional players at this point. If you'd noticed, the kin system only really became workable about a week ago and Village Claims are still in need of a desperate overhaul (you can't even kick people out of the village unless they're online and you're in a party with them or you're looking directly at them). It's not about the people. If you had your however many players online that you wanted right now, the system simply doesn't exist to allow for the intricate politics.

Vetarnian wrote:And, given the nature of MMO's, how many players will they get when they start demanding money for playing their game?

Considering the donate button didn't even exist until about a month ago, I think you're getting ahead of yourself. The game is in no state for that (hence the "Alpha" thing that gets thrown around). When it is, I'm sure it will have plenty more players.

Will Haven and Hearth remain free?

jorb wrote:Even considering it feels presumptuous with the game being what it is. I'm glad so many people play and seemingly enjoy the game. Building it has been, and is, one of the most rewarding experiences of my life, and I love you all for being here.

Character Reset: The Word.

jorb wrote:players are not my first concern at the moment. Don't get me wrong, having players is the thrill of a lifetime, but game development does not hinge on whether or not we have players at any given moment. We've been building this game for a year and a half without players. What matters to me is what the game is like when we, as all good things must come to an end at some point, do our last game update.

Enjoy what is here while it's here. Give feedback and whine to the devs about all the problems but don't expect things to be fixed overnight and don't expect the game to become a professional MMO anytime soon.

You want to make the comparison to Dwarf Fortress? Sure. "Development [of Dwarf Fortress] started in October 2002, followed by the game's first public release in August 2006". I'm certain that in another 6 years time (8 years after development began) - assuming jorb and loftar care enough to keep at it - the game will have all the players you want and they'll easily rake in a couple of thousand in donations a month / sell out to Blizzard / whatever.
Barry Fletcher Norwin
Lawspeaker of Crossroads - Leader of Codexia - Keeper of the Cheese
http://www.rpgcodex.net
Lothaudus

Postby Jackard » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:16 am

Lothaudus wrote:
Vetarnian wrote:But even niche MMO's need a minimal number of players to be functional, and from what I have seen here, <100 is far too small for a game of this scale.

62 players online right now I'd say is pretty good for an Alpha. Especially one that's not being actively promoted and has an "everything will be reset" cloud hanging over it. Do you really believe an unfinished game that has so many acknowledged problems that the developers are still working on should be promoted? So what, we can have more whiney sods who whinge about everything not working and then RAGEQUIT? Remember, boats only came into this game a few months ago. About a month or so before that the entire map was reset. The last thing it needs is 200+ people whining about all the known bugs and an upcoming reset. All it needs if anything is a handful of testers, which are easily found from those already playing and however many else find the game through word of mouth.

yea, im certainly not recommending it to anyone at this early stage - the chances are too great that they'll get a negative impression, drop it and never come back. that doesnt do me any good. you dont start promoting until you have something to promote
Jackard

Postby Haba » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:30 am

Neruz wrote:The average commercial dev would not be upset at all to be recieved 2 - 5 grand a month. The fact that Tarn can live off Dwarf Fortress almost entirely is no mean feat.

Average commercial dev in India maybe. ~2000 USD/month would probably be tolerable for single university student in Sweden (esp. if you get government subsidized housing.
Haba

Postby Neruz » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:22 pm

Haba wrote:
Neruz wrote:The average commercial dev would not be upset at all to be recieved 2 - 5 grand a month. The fact that Tarn can live off Dwarf Fortress almost entirely is no mean feat.

Average commercial dev in India maybe. ~2000 USD/month would probably be tolerable for single university student in Sweden (esp. if you get government subsidized housing.

We're talking straight profit here. And 2000 USD is the low end.

At 2 - 5 grand per month, you're looking at somewhere around 42 grand per year. That's straight to you, no tax, no nothing, just you and any costs you yourself accrue.

42 grand of straight profit per year is pretty good for your standard game dev; you have to be a pretty successful or a lucky indy dev to be earning more than that.
Neruz

Postby Apostata » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:48 pm

Neruz wrote:Real Life is filled with Griefers too, men like Julius Ceasar, Genghis Khan and Attila the Hun are examples of real life Griefers who got hold of enough power to do something big.

Uncountable millions of people throughout history have gotten their shit together and dedicated no small amount of effort into screwing over other people's shit; the various terrorist organisations like Al Qaeda are examples of modern day Griefers.

If your logical deducation ends in value to destruction something and are not going to continuing sentence " ..to build something new on it" and not even always comparing somewhat cynical truth about some "nihilating" points of our existence, which spit on "common good" in most utopic form, both as on "most non-reasonable evil", or collidable evil sylogism of causes ( death of pregnant prey by predator in nature ) with it, because all is lost to be subjectional form of ideas given to us, then..well. God bless but someones less.

The endeavor to understand is the first and only basis of virtue.
Apostata

Postby Potjeh » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:51 pm

Is that even English?
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements