Game Development: Crime & Punishment

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Crime & Punishment

Postby Trafalgar » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:51 pm

D:
Trafalgar

Postby KoE » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:15 pm

loftar wrote:
Blaze wrote:Tracking stolen object: Nowhere to be found.

That particular condition is actually a "shouldn't happen" case, where the stolen object has disappeared. I can only guess that it was lost in a crash or something.

Blaze wrote:Tracking hearthfire: Cannot be tracked from this place.

He probably has his hearth fire in a mine, where it currently cannot be tracked into the main world. I'll fix that soon.

I've got a theft clue giving me this error, still, just in case it was thought fixed and has not been.

EDIT:

Another question / bug report and some rambling;

I've noticed that, on occasion, I will see a clue and interact with it, then come back a fairly few short minutes later (usually after miserably failing the tracking) and the clue will be gone. One time I found the clue, used it up and failed, came back to find it gone, and later in the day came back and found it again. Is this intentional behavior (periodic re-rolling of the Exploration/Perception check?) or something being screwy?

As for the rambling, I had a 'knee jerk' negative reaction to this update, ranging from quite worried (the concept of 'blood feuds', which was due to ignorance of the way reincarnation works) to 'anxious but willing to see how it goes'. I have since played with it, ruminated on it, and decided that while incomplete and imperfect (as all things are), it is a pretty ingenious and remarkably simple way of handling the matter. I continuously find myself drawing parallels to the American (Old) West while playing the game, and I realized how much this does give that sort of fibe. Being a hero in the game (my natural inclination) isn't a given - if anything the default is a guy in a straw hat making an endless stream of wicker baskets.

To draw back to the West, tracking down a murderer and putting a bull- err, arrow in the damn dirty dog will win you both the accolades of the townsfolk and the ire of the damn dirty dog's companions. The latter almost seems more important to me than the former, and I imagine is what will go a long way towards making this game fun when we have people who practice actual banditry rather than bored twits and griefers. My only concern is, as Jorb (Or maybe Loftar - I don't remember) pointed out, there may be too much to discourage any bad guys to take care of now, and the profession is probably as low-risk as any other due to the 'law's' superior organization.

Anyway, for the tl;dr version: I've really come to appreciate this system, and thereby the entire game itself quite a bit more in the past few days. I have tremendous respect for Jorb and Loftar, and while I'm aware that a unique game like this (in particular) is going to wind up with the devs stumbling into some bad decisions, they'll have thought a lot more about it than I have by the time I'm reading the development report for the first time.
KoE

Postby WorkerDrone » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:30 pm

Ehehehehe. Jorb took a look inside Owen's Crucibles.

I never really imagined they would get themselves into such antics, but they probably go around screwing with random people.

I mean, Jorb knocks out Loftar every once and a while, strips him down, and leaves him in a swamp to get nommed by leeches. I can get the quote, don't deny it. >:D
[02:31] <WorkerDrone> Kinky.
[02:31] <Malicus> Actually, it's more like it destroyed his pants.
[02:31] <WorkerDrone> Even more kinky.
[02:32] <Malicus> Yes.
WorkerDrone

Postby Krej » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:16 am

there's no "track item option" from the theives clues I pick up.. why?
I tested with with a friend and he stole stuff, not on kin list or anything. Still no track item option, do you need high enough skill or something? was it taken out? :|
Krej

Postby KoE » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:13 pm

At this juncture, the way I understand it, anything inside an inventory object (baskets, chests, etc.) can't be tracked because the code needs an overhaul. Or something to that effect.

Thus you can only retrieve things like carts, entire chests, etc. I could be off-base here.
KoE

Postby Krej » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:39 pm

can someone confirm? and that sounds good btw, how the hell would you magically know where your items are, a cart or big item you could follow tracks.. what if I store my items outside of a container, can I track that?
Krej

Postby jorb » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:24 pm

KoE wrote:At this juncture, the way I understand it, anything inside an inventory object (baskets, chests, etc.) can't be tracked because the code needs an overhaul. Or something to that effect.

Thus you can only retrieve things like carts, entire chests, etc.

Correct. Confirmed.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Previous

Return to Announcements