Game Development: Testing, testing.

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Testing, testing.

Postby warrri » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:46 pm

Yup, my system time was one day back :)
The world I love The tears I drop To be part of The wave can't stop
Ever wonder if it's all for you
The world I love The trains I hop To be part of The wave can't stop
Come and tell me when it's time to
warrri

Postby martinuzz » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:51 pm

Great! Gonna try it out, even though I'm not the fighting character..
All those combat moves sound mighty interesting!

EDIT: I just charged a toad and knocked it's teeth out :)
martinuzz

Postby Avu » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:23 pm

Reeealy 2*Str? Am I the only one seeing how ridiculous that is? How about a system that gives a chance to people that have balanced stats?
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby loftar » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:02 pm

Avu wrote:Reeealy 2*Str?

In the current HP system, I don't really see a great problem with it. To begin with, you need to actually hit with it, and it's only if you're vastly superior in combat stats or the opponent is really low on defense that it'll actually do all that damage. Then, given that your opponent is roughly equal in strength to you and has similar constitution, it's not as if he'll be knocked out by it, even if it's a full hit.

Then on the other hand, we'll almost certainly look over the way that characters' maximum HP is calculated, and then we'll obviously have to adjust attack damage to match. But that's an orthogonal issue.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Avu » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:23 pm

Did you see klaues str before he died? He had mostly str and decent combat skills so he would have been able to one or two hit mostly everyone.

He is also not alone in building his character like that mostly because it's a lot easier and more efficient that actually investing in other stats that were ridiculously underpowered to str and are now not even worth mentioning (with the possible exception of con but still not even in the same league as str). Another reason is the retarded ancestor system that basically punishes only the crafters while almost doubling a combat characters power when exploited.

One question for you. What is this new system supposed to achieve? From what I see the only thing this will achieve is make hunting tedious like all the other things in the game. Everything else stays the same.

Your rework on hp will mostly mean combat characters will have to eat bread too instead of just bear which is an improvement but not nearly enough.
Avu

Postby Potjeh » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:33 pm

It doesn't help that str is by far the easiest stat to raise.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby DeadlyPencil » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:41 pm

loftar wrote:
Avu wrote:Reeealy 2*Str?

In the current HP system, I don't really see a great problem with it. To begin with, you need to actually hit with it, and it's only if you're vastly superior in combat stats or the opponent is really low on defense that it'll actually do all that damage. Then, given that your opponent is roughly equal in strength to you and has similar constitution, it's not as if he'll be knocked out by it, even if it's a full hit.

Then on the other hand, we'll almost certainly look over the way that characters' maximum HP is calculated, and then we'll obviously have to adjust attack damage to match. But that's an orthogonal issue.

Lets say bob has 500 str and no other stats and Joe has 200 all stats. A new person looking at this game would logically think the guy with 200 all stats is the better character, expecially since the game seems to "promote" even stats with the FEP system. However with this update, he will still be inferior as the guy with 500 str is doing 2.5 times the damage as the other guy, and the 200 stat guy has 200 str and the rest of it is useless. as long as you base combat on a single stat, it will always be imbalanced.
DeadlyPencil

Postby Potjeh » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:45 pm

Is anyone actually on the server? I want to spar. I'm at RoB.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Sarien » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:19 pm

It seems like many of the moves, at least, could incorporate stats other than strength. Dexterity, inteligence, agility, and perception all seem to have a natural relationship to various moves.

It would be nice to be able to go with a more mobile, finesse or skilled fighter as opposed to just a strength-based brawler. It does add complexity to the system, though, and maybe that type of balance is not the desired result.

Anyway, throwing my 2 cents in on the side of using more of the other stats in combat.
Sarien

Postby Avu » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:32 pm

I just took out 5 people at once at the rob. Sure most were noobs or not focused on fighting but really...
Avu

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements