Game Development: Testing, testing.

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Testing, testing.

Postby sabinati » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:03 am

so jorb and loftar have you tested hunting with the new combat system... it needs some adjustments imho
sabinati

Postby Nemu » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:25 am

sabinati wrote:so jorb and loftar have you tested hunting with the new combat system... it needs some adjustments imho

jorb wrote:The animals have not been updated to handle this. Note that it is a very early version, and very little has been done in terms of balancing
Nemu

Postby warrri » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:58 pm

jorb wrote:
Jackard wrote:just a suggestion, but why not use that new map they had with the funky terrain gen?

Good idea.

EDIT: Done. Sorry for being complete morons.

Spawn some containers with q1 bread and q500 water please?
And whats with people that had their possessions in a chest somewhere.

The reason for the testserver was to test the new combat system by sparring i guess, no resources completely forfeits the possibility to do such.
The world I love The tears I drop To be part of The wave can't stop
Ever wonder if it's all for you
The world I love The trains I hop To be part of The wave can't stop
Come and tell me when it's time to
warrri

Postby stickman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:08 am

I find this new combat system extremely boring. Me and me brother spared about 5 matches and we are literally jumping and flexing infront of eachother 70% of the time. The fights have no action in them at all... Nothing is exciting because I know when he is going to be able to hit me and when I am going to be able to hit him. I feel this new system has stripped everything out of combat that is fun.

Possible suggestion.

Combat stances could be used to determine the growth rate of your offence and defence bars.

All the attack skills should be split into damaging or defence reducing. I think having to waste time on jumping/flexing/charging is what is slowing combat down and making it very boring.

So...I think the offence/defence should grow at set rates (much faster then now) and it should be affected by your combat stances... I think this idea of standing infront of eachother for 30 seconds after the first punch and jumping up and down is very lame.

Also defence is being taken down by your strength value right now even if you miss! Why would it matter how strong you are if your always missing? I think the way defence is reduced needs to be looked at. Currrently I think this system makes STR much better then it is in the current verson of the game.
stickman

Postby jorb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:45 pm

If that is so then that is a bad thing. One issue might be that you're not doing it right -- a proper implementation would obviously try to teach you, and include a level of increasing complexity as you gain more fighting skills, but nevertheless. I would love it if more people had some thoughts on what we're doing here. It might also be that you are doing it right and the system sucks.

What we're trying to do is obviously to create a system where player skill (as opposed to character statistics) actually matters.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby kimya » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:05 pm

ive tried it out a few times now and i think its an interesting idea, but its too complicated and hard to have control over. first thing is that once i have the moves in my hotbar, i can hardly tell which one is which, cause the pictures are hard to remember, and some just look quite the same. in the old system this wasnt much of a problem, as i didnt need many different buttons, maybe 7 tops.
now, from what i have understood, to be actually effective in combat, i need at least 10 buttons, which makes things very complicated.
once i know which button i have put where on the hotbar, things might get a bit easier, but for now i always forget it and i can hardly look them up (a simple mouseover tooltip would do the trick though).

what i dont understand is why i need to get offense first in order to convert it to defense... wouldnt it be better to do it the other way round? its hard to defend as it is now, and i think it should be actually easier to have some defense than offense.
which would also mean that a player who wants to attack someone would have to convert defense to offense, and thus making himseld vulnerable.
the defender would still have to fight strategically, as the offender can use special moves to lower the defense (like opportunity knocks, i think, or no pain no gain, and probably others too)
kimya

Postby stickman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:35 pm

Am i also correct in reading that there are 8 ways to use IP and only 2 ways to gain it without your opponent giving you them?

Jorb our battle looked like this:

Punch
Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump
Punch
Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump
Punch
(defence might be 0 by now)
Feign Flight, Feign Flight, Feign Flight (to get 6 lp)
Punch
Flex Flex Flex
Punch
Flex Flex Flex
Punch

Im sure your going to say that im doing it wrong... but if you have to sit down for 5 minutes and explain how you have to fight its not a very good system is it?

We each had over 100 STR, over 100 unarmed. By this point in the fight we would have dealt about 40-60 damage to eachother (we are not wearing armour and our punches seem to do 1-50 damage). So im counting 26 moves to hit my opponent 2 times... and I only took off 10% of his HP. Im sure if i was using offencive reducing attacks or defencing boosting attacks he would have not even hit me yet after 26 moves.
stickman

Postby Seizure » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:53 pm

stickman wrote:words

So, what you are saying is...

This new system is unfun, repetitive, and unintuitive?
Seizure

Postby Chakravanti » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:11 pm

You shoudl study the move list before commenting. THere are things you can do to gain the upper hand. That aside, Defense is garnered fairly slow especially compared to hwo easy offense is to gather.
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby warrri » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Chakravanti wrote:You shoudl study the move list before commenting. THere are things you can do to gain the upper hand. That aside, Defense is garnered fairly slow especially compared to hwo easy offense is to gather.

Try to get klaue out of defense when he uses oak stance.
The world I love The tears I drop To be part of The wave can't stop
Ever wonder if it's all for you
The world I love The trains I hop To be part of The wave can't stop
Come and tell me when it's time to
warrri

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements