Game Development: More Newb Stuff

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: More Newb Stuff

Postby Jfloyd » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:12 pm

This is good. Made a new character to try it out, to get away from the world again. Just from building two baskets, a bed, and a lean to, gives you your first skill.
"When I grow up, I want to be just like Kaka" -James Floyd, on growing up.
Jfloyd

Postby Peter » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:33 pm

That's great news. It's actually kinda fun to play as a newb in the wilderness, now.
Surprise.
Peter

Postby Doll » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:44 pm

Josan wrote:arrrg the leanto and spruce bed are broken. I can't put bed in leanto.

Same problem. Then I stopped trying to put the bed down in the lean-to and clicked on the lean-to and it worked.
Doll

Postby Idol » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:17 pm

[quote="jorb"]We've been developing tonight, and here's what's new.

New Object, Spruce Bough Bed: Gather boughs from fir trees and build yourself a nice little bed.

New Object, Leanto: Build a leanto. Put objects in the leanto. If you put a spruce bough bed in the leanto, you can sleep in it. Player's will leave theft scents if they try to take objects from the lean-to if someone is sleeping in it.

I like this update because every new player starts with wilderness survival and yet couldn't do much with the skill. Foraging, hunting or fishing is needed to find anything to eat so about the only thing wilderness survival apparently gave you was the ability to build fires and baskets. Now it gives you shelter and a safer place to sleep.

Before wilderness spawning the chief problem predator on new players was other new players. You might, after hours of walking, come across some grapes and bring the grape seeds carefully back to base to begin working on amassing the points for the winemaking skill... only to log in the next time and find them gone. Similiarly it was very hard to stockpile food so that you could balance your attributes. If you had a basket full of eel and rabbit you were almost certain to log in and find it empty. So the protection of the lean-to could make a very big difference.
Idol

Postby ZephNecro » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:20 am

what fep does the blueberry give?
ZephNecro

Postby Kahim » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:40 am

ZephNecro wrote:what fep does the blueberry give?

Intel

Now about the leanto I love it but, how is a leanto going to protect a cupboard i tried it you can keep a cupboard in a leanto seems crazy and unrealistic is all. Ohh and if you do keep that atleast make it able to store a boat, but then a cart should be able to hold a boat and the dead animals
My motions are swift as a eagle, on my worst day I am still Lethal. No challenge, only start me when you learn the ripples of a butterflies heartbeat.
Kahim

Postby sabinati » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:44 am

you can't store anything in the cupboard though...
sabinati

Postby Chakravanti » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:05 am

meaning a nub can effectively store a basket's worth in the lean to....as if it actually made anything 'safe'.
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby sabinati » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:30 am

well it holds two containers if there's no bed in it
sabinati

Postby Kahim » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:57 am

A bed and the bigget container you can carry for a noob thats like a god send build a second leanto isnt exactly hard so moving around till you find yourself with a good set up make this more manigable instead of deforesting for the log cabin.
My motions are swift as a eagle, on my worst day I am still Lethal. No challenge, only start me when you learn the ripples of a butterflies heartbeat.
Kahim

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements