Dev Diary: Mad ramblings

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Dev Diary: Mad ramblings

Postby loftar » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:52 pm

Jackard wrote:game should really focus less on accumulating individual character skill... more on resources, equipment, strongholds and teamwork

I know you and Chakravanti like to argue that, and I can see why. I'm not sure I agree, however. Moving focus from the individual characters to some "abstract civilization" would be a very un-germanic thing to do.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Gauteamus » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:06 pm

Mad ramblings indeed :P

EDIT: Etymology of "German"
Well, seeing that the word german possibly originates in the dazumal word for "noisy neighbour", you may have an inkling of a point, but I still think you're mad. :D
Image<<Bottleneck>>
What if Rosa Parks had a car?
Gauteamus

Postby Jackard » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:51 am

loftar wrote:
Jackard wrote:game should really focus less on accumulating individual character skill... more on resources, equipment, strongholds and teamwork

I know you and Chakravanti like to argue that, and I can see why. I'm not sure I agree, however. Moving focus from the individual characters to some "abstract civilization" would be a very un-germanic thing to do.

i doubt you'll ever see a healthy pvp environment that has actual battles without it

edit: too fast reply
Last edited by Jackard on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jackard

Postby loftar » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:54 am

Jackard wrote:i doubt you'll ever get a healthy pvp environment without it

Well, the challenge is what makes it worth it, isn't it? :)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Jackard » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:57 am

pff

people will just log off rather than be on the disadvantage, to achieve absolute protection for their overly precious ephemeral investment, characters. if their investment consists of more tangible things they need to be online to protect, then you wont see that problem
Jackard

Postby Chakravanti » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:34 am

loftar wrote:
Jackard wrote:i doubt you'll ever get a healthy pvp environment without it

Well, the challenge is what makes it worth it, isn't it? :)

PvP just isn't fun when you're risking months worth of character development. 'worth it' is only when I'm ready to die for the purpose of further character development via AW. This has RuneScape & DarkFall written all over it. Eternal grind.

Now granted the actions to develop ones charcter can be fun as hell but regardless how fun it is to hunt (hopefully) or moon about, PvP will just always be a shitty aspect of this game with massive margins of development on an arbitrated time investment.

If you want PvP in this game it means people have to risk less to engage in it.

I think you can achieve this via credo by making combat toons easier to develop somehow. Mooner types can still foolow the massive amrgin of development and people can have alts for PvP & production. Peasants supporting the military. Makes fucktons of sense ot me anyway.
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby froggy2727 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:52 am

I don't really like the idea of poision ivy, but everything sounds great! :mrgreen:
They assume safety in the village that they dwell in. There is a predator of the clan who assumes his dominince over all the hearthlings. They try to run away to find safety, but he is to fast. And that is the great cycle of the village clan.
froggy2727

Postby Haba » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:43 am

loftar wrote:

Protecting your kin and ensuring the future success of your line is un-germanic?

Maybe move from looking at individual characters to looking at a family line, for example? (similarly as is already being done with the ancestors)

At least from my perspective, the game is not fun if you focus on the individual characters. The fun comes from being able to be a productive part of village.
Haba

Postby niltrias » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:08 am

Gauteamus wrote:Mad ramblings indeed :P

EDIT: Etymology of "German"
Well, seeing that the word german possibly originates in the dazumal word for "noisy neighbour", you may have an inkling of a point, but I still think you're mad. :D

I thought it meant something more like "Tribes" or "Comrades", using the root germ- as in "Root" or "Origin".
But the noisy neighbor is more fun, so Ill go with that from now on.
<Marcher Lord>
Dogs! Oh god, please give us DOGS!
There are those who press on with the ardor of beer, and those who are faint with thirst.
niltrias

Postby Potjeh » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:59 pm

- permadeath
- slow, uncapped character development
- PvP
Pick just two, loftar ;)
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements