Game Development: Chicks, Cocks and Penetration

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Chicks, Cocks and Penetration

Postby sabinati » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:25 am

warrri wrote:
jorb wrote:I know, but I wouldn't mind some more detail. How long do you have to wait? Does it feel imbalanced/strange/bad/whatever? What kind of stats do you need (perc, marksmanship, gear) to one-shot a boar? Do you think it should be changed, if so, how?

Took about 30seconds aiming with 48 marksman,
q126 rangers bow, q180 or so arrows.
20 base perception boosted with badass monocle, mediocre rangerscape and badass merch rings.

And yes, thats 1803 shp, 722hhp, sorry for the jpg compression :)
-> Rangers bow should do way less damage.
sabinati

Postby DeadlyPencil » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:53 am

sabinati wrote:
warrri wrote:
jorb wrote:I know, but I wouldn't mind some more detail. How long do you have to wait? Does it feel imbalanced/strange/bad/whatever? What kind of stats do you need (perc, marksmanship, gear) to one-shot a boar? Do you think it should be changed, if so, how?

Took about 30seconds aiming with 48 marksman,
q126 rangers bow, q180 or so arrows.
20 base perception boosted with badass monocle, mediocre rangerscape and badass merch rings.

And yes, thats 1803 shp, 722hhp, sorry for the jpg compression :)
-> Rangers bow should do way less damage.

Exactly? He used a q126 bow and did 1803 damage. the guy i was talking to was talking about a quality 180 rangers bow.
DeadlyPencil

Postby sabinati » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:55 am

and you think such a bow exists? and warri's char had 48 marks, is that something a char would have in a couple days?
sabinati

Postby DeadlyPencil » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:12 am

who gives a shit about the bow (iam pretty sure he ment a q180 wooden bow) and who gives a shit about marksmanship. marksmanship has to do with aim, not damage. even perception doesn't reduce the max damage only the minimum. you could have a min damage of 1 but your max is still gonna be 1800 and you still have a good chance of hitting something huge.

you equip warris bow onto a noob and bam, he can do 1800 damage. he might have to aim for 5 minutes and he might hit a 300 on his first try, but he can still hit 1800.

and who says that is the best bow that can be made. did he use his best steel? what quality was his silk? who knows. i doubt anyone who has higher materials is gonna go telling everyone.
DeadlyPencil

Postby jorb » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:36 am

Yeah, but warri had to aim for 30 seconds-ish. We tested the setup, and while you do deal a fuck-load of damage, I would say it is nigh on impossible to hit anything that actually tries to move. I could be wrong, and it could -- regardless -- be argued that ranger's bow should deal at least a bit less damage.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby ElGato » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:28 pm

DeadlyPencil wrote:who gives a shit about the bow (iam pretty sure he ment a q180 wooden bow) and who gives a shit about marksmanship. marksmanship has to do with aim, not damage. even perception doesn't reduce the max damage only the minimum. you could have a min damage of 1 but your max is still gonna be 1800 and you still have a good chance of hitting something huge.

you equip warris bow onto a noob and bam, he can do 1800 damage. he might have to aim for 5 minutes and he might hit a 300 on his first try, but he can still hit 1800.

and who says that is the best bow that can be made. did he use his best steel? what quality was his silk? who knows. i doubt anyone who has higher materials is gonna go telling everyone.

you're right, I have made higher ql ranger bows.
burgingham wrote:We are all Gato, and Gato is Delamore of course. Goons blablabla...

Caradon wrote:Gato, the anti-ghandi

Sabinati wrote:yeah we're gonna kill you gato!!!
ElGato

Postby warrri » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:06 pm

Yea, i think i could make a bow up to q200, however the damage output doesnt change much because of dr.
Also i had, as i described, almost the best possible equipment, including hq merch rings and monocle. My base perception was a bit low but it doesnt change taht much anymore.

However you wont ever be able to fire the bow in a pvp situation, unless your victim is standing afk in short distance to you for some minutes. It took me about 30-60 seconds to aim on a nonmoving target, and it didnt get past 70% hitchance ever.
Its also useless against bears, because they run from time to time, reducign your aim to zero, its way easier to hunt them with a sling doing 400 damage per hit :)
The world I love The tears I drop To be part of The wave can't stop
Ever wonder if it's all for you
The world I love The trains I hop To be part of The wave can't stop
Come and tell me when it's time to
warrri

Postby niltrias » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:40 pm

After testing for a while...
Overall, I really like the new ranged system. I think that shooting at people should have a completely different feel to it than close combat, be it armed or no. Two small points:

1)I do think the ranger bow is a bit over-powered, but Im not sure if that is actually an issue, as the devs have stated that armor and other weapons will be rebalanced as the new combat system comes close to completion.

2) I would like to see a perc/stealth check (modified by distance) when the archer begins aiming at the target...success on the targets side triggers the "normal" combat state, while success on the archer side functions as it does now. It would give people minding their own business a chance to notice that they were about to be murdered, increase the usefullness of both stealth and perception, and also have some interesting effects on hunting. (people with higher MM than stealth would stay back and try to get long shots, while high stealthers would try to get as close as possible before taking aim. Suddenly, those stealth hats become handy for newbies.
<Marcher Lord>
Dogs! Oh god, please give us DOGS!
There are those who press on with the ardor of beer, and those who are faint with thirst.
niltrias

Postby Haba » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:22 pm

niltrias wrote:2) I would like to see a perc/stealth check (modified by distance) when the archer begins aiming at the target...success on the targets side triggers the "normal" combat state, while success on the archer side functions as it does now. It would give people minding their own business a chance to notice that they were about to be murdered, increase the usefullness of both stealth and perception, and also have some interesting effects on hunting. (people with higher MM than stealth would stay back and try to get long shots, while high stealthers would try to get as close as possible before taking aim. Suddenly, those stealth hats become handy for newbies.

Doesn't it already work like this? I think I saw devs state that this is how they intend it work. I've also seen a guy armed with a bow instantly initiate combat as they start aiming at me.

I have to say that hunting with ranged weapon is much less tedious now than it used to be. Though hunting with a sling is actually much more enjoyable than with a bow, despite the lower damage output. It just highlights the issue of having to remove your backpack and change weapons as you start butchering the animals when hunting with a bow.

And with 140 points in marksmanship, aiming a (wooden) bow still felt rather slow to me. Don't even want to imagine how slow it'd be with a ranger's bow.
Haba

Postby niltrias » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:32 pm

Haba wrote:
niltrias wrote:2) I would like to see a perc/stealth check (modified by distance) when the archer begins aiming at the target...success on the targets side triggers the "normal" combat state, while success on the archer side functions as it does now. It would give people minding their own business a chance to notice that they were about to be murdered, increase the usefullness of both stealth and perception, and also have some interesting effects on hunting. (people with higher MM than stealth would stay back and try to get long shots, while high stealthers would try to get as close as possible before taking aim. Suddenly, those stealth hats become handy for newbies.

Doesn't it already work like this? I think I saw devs state that this is how they intend it work. I've also seen a guy armed with a bow instantly initiate combat as they start aiming at me.

I have to say that hunting with ranged weapon is much less tedious now than it used to be. Though hunting with a sling is actually much more enjoyable than with a bow, despite the lower damage output. It just highlights the issue of having to remove your backpack and change weapons as you start butchering the animals when hunting with a bow.

And with 140 points in marksmanship, aiming a (wooden) bow still felt rather slow to me. Don't even want to imagine how slow it'd be with a ranger's bow.

It certainly does not work that way for animals. I havent tested it with players, but I would assume that if animals dont notice you aggroing them by aiming, players arent being told either. I would have tested it before I responded, but there seems to be a problem with the server ATM. Anyone know for sure?
<Marcher Lord>
Dogs! Oh god, please give us DOGS!
There are those who press on with the ardor of beer, and those who are faint with thirst.
niltrias

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements