Game Development: Chicks, Cocks and Penetration

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Chicks, Cocks and Penetration

Postby Justicar » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:14 pm

niltrias wrote:It certainly does not work that way for animals. I havent tested it with players, but I would assume that if animals dont notice you aggroing them by aiming, players arent being told either. I would have tested it before I responded, but there seems to be a problem with the server ATM. Anyone know for sure?

Well, I'm not 100% certain either, but I had a similar situation.

It may well be that the guy just initiated combat with a melee attack first... though that doesn't make any sense, since he was hiding behind a tree.
Last edited by Justicar on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Justicar

Postby niltrias » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:17 pm

Sounds like it does work for players then. Heh. If the game were up, I could find out in 5 min or less. Alas, Babylon.
<Marcher Lord>
Dogs! Oh god, please give us DOGS!
There are those who press on with the ardor of beer, and those who are faint with thirst.
niltrias

Postby Seizure » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:29 pm

You can take aim at players without aggroing them. You can sit there forever, waiting for the bar to fill and your prey will never know about the 1k surprise your planning on sending their way. You could even talk to them to distract them so they dont move around so much... Then... SURPRISE! 1k dmg, you die.

I did this with a neigh no skill alt, against a rather powerful player. We both aimed at eachother at roughly the same time too. Thankfully we were just testing the system. :lol:

I dono, that seems a bit awkward to me. I mean, yea... It would make sense for AT LEAST a skill check on if they get aggor, more sense to aggro the second you take aim. Sure, its more realistic for you not to notice someone sulking behind the tree, taking aim at your ass with a bow... But as a game mechanic, its a bit strange.
Seizure

Postby niltrias » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:34 pm

I would argue that it is strange in real life and also as a game mechanic. A guy with no ability/practice in hiding stands about 10m from a guy who has mastered noticing the details of the world around him, pulls back a bow, and stands there for a full 30 sec- 1min without being noticed? Twigs cracking and all?
<Marcher Lord>
Dogs! Oh god, please give us DOGS!
There are those who press on with the ardor of beer, and those who are faint with thirst.
niltrias

Postby Tancuras » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:04 pm

niltrias wrote:I would argue that it is strange in real life and also as a game mechanic. A guy with no ability/practice in hiding stands about 10m from a guy who has mastered noticing the details of the world around him, pulls back a bow, and stands there for a full 30 sec- 1min without being noticed? Twigs cracking and all?

Needs to be aiming / attack animations for the character models, yeah.

On topic, I'm too lazy to look and was wondering if anyone knew how long it takes for chicks to grow?
Tancuras

Postby fedorstrel » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:56 am

How about stickable items? I mean you fix it in your inventory and it don't move while shift-mousewheeling. That would be perfect.
fedorstrel

Postby Potjeh » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:09 pm

I think chicks take three RL days to grow up, but it could be four too, haven't timed it really.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby HulkingUnicorn » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:06 pm

fedorstrel wrote:How about stickable items? I mean you fix it in your inventory and it don't move while shift-mousewheeling. That would be perfect.

Yes!
HulkingUnicorn

Postby Seizure » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:45 am

Could we get a small adjustment to the % of chance a cock or chicken will grow from a chick? Im getting -way- more cocks than is usable.

Chickens are more useful for the entire breeding process, and you only need a single high Q cock per 7 chickens. A 50% chance of each isnt really doing this system any good. Even a 25% chance of cock and 75% chance of chicken would make me a happy hearthling.
Seizure

Postby Potjeh » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:57 am

Cocks are for eating. Cattle is much worse in this regard, but you can't argue with nature :(
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements