Mini-feature: New camera mode

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Mini-feature: New camera mode

Postby loftar » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:57 am

Seizure wrote:That and ya know... We still dont even have the ability to change resolutions and time is wasted on this stuff.

With regards to whether "time is wasted" or not, I'd prefer if I got to decide myself on what constitutes a waste of my own time, thank you. ;)

With regards to changing the resolution of the client, it's not that I don't want it, honestly. I just don't know how to do it. Obviously, anyone who has used Pacho's client must have noted how objects suddenly pop up and disappear when walking over the map. Surely, you are not suggesting that I actually let the official client look like that? If it were "until I could solve it", I could agree, but I have no ideas whatsoever on how to "solve" that issue.

For the obvious retorts:
  • "But you can still see more in Pacho's client." -- Yes, you can, because I'm currently sending "too many" objects from the server to the client just to cover every corner-case of suddenly appearing objects in the default resolution. If you increase the resolution of the client even slightly, you'll have cases where it happens. If anything, I should actually try to trim the viewport that the server cares about when deciding which objects to send so that people using larger resolutions than the default are less advantaged, but any way I do it, people will be advantaged by being able to view the area that is clipped.
  • "But send more just for at least a slight increase in size, then." -- That still leaves all the basic problems in that the default client doesn't show all the objects that it actually knows about, so that people increasing the size even more will be "advantaged" by the trade-off of viewing popping-up objects; and it introduces more problems in that it uses more server bandwidth which, as you know by now, is kind of strained.
  • "I don't care! Just send as many objects as will fit into the resolution that each client has chosen; those with small screens have but themselves to blame, anyway." -- I am almost considering this one. I don't really like the thought of people being gifted with larger screens being naturally advantaged (not least in combat), and mind you that there are still a lot of laptops in use that are capable of only 1024x768 or 1280x800 (in which case the maximum "normal" resolution for use in window mode is 800x600), but it's not as if I couldn't realign myself in that opinion. What I like even less is, of course, the extra drain on the server bandwidth. There's also the problem that any non-fixed resolution (or even just any change of resolution to any other fixed one) would require a lot of UI fixes as well, which is something that I consider a "waste of time".
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Jackard » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:15 am

Seizure wrote:
Jackard wrote:i thought pacho removed lighthack a few updates ago :?

Its still there. You just activate it through a -proper console-. Press ~, type nightvision true.

lol
Jackard

Postby warrri » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:20 am

loftar wrote:With regards to changing the resolution of the client, it's not that I don't want it, honestly. I just don't know how to do it. Obviously, anyone who has used Pacho's client must have noted how objects suddenly pop up and disappear when walking over the map. Surely, you are not suggesting that I actually let the official client look like that? If it were "until I could solve it", I could agree, but I have no ideas whatsoever on how to "solve" that issue.

I dont see a problem here, its not like we will blame you for this. So its only your idea of aesthetics that prohibits you to do it.
The world I love The tears I drop To be part of The wave can't stop
Ever wonder if it's all for you
The world I love The trains I hop To be part of The wave can't stop
Come and tell me when it's time to
warrri

Postby Pacho » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:41 am

On the topic of UI rework, I'm currently working on making the locations of all the UI items be something relative to the screen center instead of absolute values.

Right now, you're sending us about enough data for 1024 x 768, you say that the client doesn't display all the items it knows about, can you tell me where that part of the code is handled? Maybe I can take a look at it so you don't have to.
Pacho

Postby Seizure » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:20 am

Hell, Im just happy to get a response, and hear your thoughts on the subject besides "I dun like UI work, its boring."

I must thank you for giving a real response. I know I probably goaded it from you, and of that I am damn proud. ;)

You must realize by now, your development time (and what you choose to develop) effects your playerbase directly. Your time, is our time. Not to say that you must do each and everything we say... Just that you should consider your players in your decisions. Otherwise things like my knock on your development choices will happen more often, and be more ragalicious.

Sure, the game is in alpha... But, surely you dont think we are here solely for the testing. Why do you 1/2 or more of your playerbase almost completely up and stopped playing when they heard there was going to be a character and map wipe? We are playing for the enjoyment, and testing to improve the game we are playing.

Seeing as you brought it up, hows the work on the servers bandwith? I am praying that we wont be back to unplayable status the second the new world gets here.
Seizure

Postby loftar » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:33 am

Seizure wrote:You must realize by now, your development time (and what you choose to develop) effects your playerbase directly. Your time, is our time.

Of course I realize that, and it does influence our priorities to no small extent. However, it must also be realized that the entire development of the game is driven by the fact alone that Jorb and I find it interesting. Therefore, if we didn't work on things that we find interesting, development would stop entirely.

Pacho wrote:On the topic of UI rework, I'm currently working on making the locations of all the UI items be something relative to the screen center instead of absolute values.

You would be greatly benefited, in that case, by the work I've begun in the "wdg" branch. I haven't had the time to finish it yet, but if successful, it will give you exclusive control over the placement of the main game UI widgets.

Pacho wrote:Right now, you're sending us about enough data for 1024 x 768, you say that the client doesn't display all the items it knows about, can you tell me where that part of the code is handled? Maybe I can take a look at it so you don't have to.

Actually, there isn't quite enough for 1024x768. When I spoke about the client not displaying all the objects it knows of, I was just referring to those that are outside the screen. :)

Seizure wrote:Seeing as you brought it up, hows the work on the servers bandwith? I am praying that we wont be back to unplayable status the second the new world gets here.

Unfortunately, we haven't made much progress on that. It seems Jorb cannot get his own connection upgraded, and all the hosting services that we've found are quite expensive. I don't really know what to do about it yet. It is quite a bit frustrating.
loftar

Postby Pacho » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:42 am

Oh. lol yeah, it cuts off right at the very edge (one or two tiles from the center). I suppose there isn't much that can be done about those items outside the screen xD

I'll check out the wdg branch; is that compatible with the current server workings?
Pacho

Postby loftar » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:50 am

Pacho wrote:I'll check out the wdg branch; is that compatible with the current server workings?

Nope, sorry. Its main innovation is that widget creation can be given arbitrary arguments for the parent widget to handle it, instead of only pixel coordinates as it is now. For example, item widgets are given the actual inventory coordinates of the item instead of the pixel offset from the inventory widget; and there's a new master widget handling the whole game UI, which is just given the generic role of the subwidgets and decides on their placement entirely on its own. You can see why that requires the cooperation of the server. :)
loftar

Postby sabinati » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:50 am

did you get the new mobo yet?
sabinati

Postby loftar » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:52 am

sabinati wrote:did you get the new mobo yet?

I dunno, actually. Now that you mention it, it should have arrived by now. It was Jorb who ordered it, though, so I cannot tell.
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements