Game Development: Combat System

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Combat System

Postby Moracin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:09 pm

Read the post first ofcourse, because the post is posted before the server comes up again.
Ingame name: Natimo
Moracin

Location: The wonderful mining village of Gereburg "The Earth Fortification"

Postby g1real » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:19 am

So I've tested the system out.

What the fuck.

Ants fucking own me, ants.

I can't keep up with their attack/defend regeneration and I killed one after fighting it for 10 minutes, really..
loftar: The inner chaos of the Jorbian mind is hard to conceal. :)
jorb: It's called creative license. You know, that thing you seem to want to apply to logic, grammar and coherence? :)
g1real

Postby Peter » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:24 am

Yeah, I think someone made the ants too hardcore.

As I understand it, they're supposed to be food for newbs, but as it is, it takes some pretty respectable stats to take out the swarms. It is possible to lead the swarms away from the nest long enough to loop back. And of course if you don't have hunting...
Surprise.
Peter

Postby Durkle » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:54 am

Yeah I tried killing a single group of ants (not all 3) with 20 unarmed and it took me at least 7 minutes, a good portion of my health got knocked out too. Is that 100hp they're regenerating every few seconds? My goodness. I finally got lucky with the confusing combat system and killed them, but I quickly left the other two groups to their business.

I came back later with 20 marksmanship and a sling, but I just couldn't get the combat down. The aim bar would sometimes(??) go up and sometimes not, maybe I'm doing it wrong, but whether it went up or not didn't seem to matter. I had to run away, didn't even damage them.

I liked the old screwed up combat system more. I mean I kind of understand this new one, and I sort of like the offense/defense meter idea, but it's just too rigid right now. It needs a lot of smoothing out/tweaking, hopefully soon so I can get some killing going without being utterly confused/guessing.
Durkle

Postby juhubert » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:03 am

Durkle wrote:Yeah I tried killing a single group of ants (not all 3) with 20 unarmed and it took me at least 7 minutes, a good portion of my health got knocked out too. Is that 100hp they're regenerating every few seconds? My goodness. I finally got lucky with the confusing combat system and killed them, but I quickly left the other two groups to their business.

you most likely had a bunch of deers around. they tend to heal injured animals around a quite large area. if you see a green 100 coming up, that given animal is healed by a lvl X deer.

I came back later with 20 marksmanship and a sling, but I just couldn't get the combat down. The aim bar would sometimes(??) go up and sometimes not, maybe I'm doing it wrong, but whether it went up or not didn't seem to matter. I had to run away, didn't even damage them.

aiming meter rises and falls with the movement of your targets, and since these little buggers run around quite a lot, your meter starts falling with their moves again. same goes with big animals, so the less thea twitch, the steadier the target-o-meter goes up.
Wanderer through worlds and ages
juhubert

Postby g1real » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:34 pm

Archery I can understand with them - I only have 3 right now and even a not-moving rabbit charges 10% per 10 seconds.

But I had 7-8 unarmed and killing an ant resulted in me losing over half my hhp...
loftar: The inner chaos of the Jorbian mind is hard to conceal. :)
jorb: It's called creative license. You know, that thing you seem to want to apply to logic, grammar and coherence? :)
g1real

Postby Nanothnir » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:54 pm

//Wonders why people think Shootting at ants with a bow and arrow are effective...//

Seriously, A simple Squish is all you need, not standing there and firing Arrows at the ground attempting to hit one...
[Politics] The word was derived by the joining of two others, Poli - A Latin word meaning Many. And Tics - Annoying Bloodsucking Parasites...
Nanothnir

Postby Onionfighter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:31 am

Ok, having actually used the combat system a bit now, I can say that while there are a lot of options, it is actually kind of interesting all the different things that can be done. I have a big problem with the mouse-over descriptions, often they do little to help me understand what the moves actually do (which part is the cost, which part is the output, what do the different signs mean?). Also, combat can be way too slow. I like the advantages that groups give.
Cheerleader
Onionfighter

Postby Wolfang » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:25 am

Yes, it's unclear what is necessary in which amounts to use a specific combat move =(
sabinati wrote:But Wolfang, it's the mods who are trolls, remember. please have some mercy on this innocent victim of merciless trolling by the moderation team before you make any more ad hominem remarks about him.

Wolfang

Previous

Return to Announcements