Game Development: Apocalypse

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Apocalypse

Postby jorb » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:52 pm

We've been developing for a few nights, and here's what's new.

As most of you no doubt are aware, we are reseting the maps and characters tonight. That's right, it's a brand spanking-new world untouched by Hearthling hand and unaffected by the trials of the past. Obviously, we've taken the opportunity to make a few changes.

The Ring of Brodgar
Is no more. Instead there are mandatory wilderness spawns.

Food
The FEPs for the different food objects are now decimal. A food type can thus give you, for example, 1.3 FEPs. This change allows for much better granularity in our FEP assignments, especially as quality increases on food items. Food types no longer get meaningful quality increases only at certain particular atoms (E.g. Q40 for a 1 FEP-food), but rather continuously yield more FEP:s as quality on them increases, albeit in fractions. The other big change here is that we now have a varied diets bonus to FEP:s. For every other new type of food you eat (Apple, ant solider, apple pie, carrot cake), you get your FEP-meter's total maximum reduced by one, effectively shortening it, for this particular iteration over it. When you level up, the bonus is reset.

BBBs have been nerfed (as has bear LP, btw).

Quality Points
Quality points actually no longer exist, though you need not be overly concerned about that, as it is mostly a behind the scenes change. Quality is instead saved per the map format, allowing for much shorter lookup time on the quality data. The main effects you will notice are:

A) Quality decreases as you exctract materials from a particular area. The quality grows back again over time.
B) Shallow water only yields clay if there is actually a clay quality point in the vicinity. All other spots will yield exactly one unit of Q10 clay, which will immediately drop the area below yieldable range, which, in turn, grows back in about a day or so.

Herbs & Plant Spawns
Plants no longer spawn in naturally occurring patches on the map. Instead, we have a new herb: The Wild Windsown Weed. The Windsown Weed can be dried in either a drying frame, or on a herbalists table, and, once it's dried, it converts to a plantable seed of some kind. Drying takes 2 ingame days in a drying frame, and eight ingame hours on a Herbalist's Table.

The Four-Leaf Clover is another new herb. The Clover can be fed to wild Moufflons and Ochsen. Doing so allows the animals to be sheared for one unit of wool(Moufflons), or milked for two liters of milk(Ochsen).

Summonings & Hearths
Hearth Fires can be destroyed again. Hearth Fires are no longer carryable. If you have a hearth fire, crime scents can be used to summon you by it. If you do not have a charter stone, or a hearth, you can be summoned anywhere. You should really have a hearth. Should you lose your hearth, you will get a new wilderness spawn if you cannot be logged in at your last logged out position.

There are some other changes as well, but I think I'll leave those for you to discover on your own.

The map will be initialized as 5x5 supergrids, to be increased to 7x7 as soon as the first batch of minimaps is done.

We have terminated the server. When it comes back online, it will be using the new maps.

Long live the Second World.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Apocalypse

Postby Darki » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:56 pm

You still own me that new druid cloak and blue cape... :D
Darki

Postby Wisp » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:58 pm

Yay
Jackard wrote:GREETINGS INTERNET FRIEND

WE HAVE NEVER MET BEFORE, BUT WOULD YOU LIKE TO JOIN MY UNSECRET SERVICE WHICH LACKS EVEN A COMMON PURPOSE? I HEAR SPIES GET LOTS OF ADVENTURE FOLLOWED BY HOT SEX.

PLEASE LIST YOUR CREDENTIALS IF SO. I WILL SEE WHETHER I CAN WORK YOU INTO MY ARBITRARY HIERARCHY.
Wisp

Postby martinuzz » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:01 pm

Lol.
I can imagine, feeding an aurochs clover, milking it for two liters of 'milk'..
Then taming it, to find out it's a bull.

Cheese anyone?

Also, Hurray for the new world!
martinuzz

Postby Peter » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:04 pm

That was highly awesome. Here's to the NEW WORLD! Will there be more Eagles?
Surprise.
Peter

Postby Darkren » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:07 pm

How major were client changes, if there are any? Would we be able to log in with Pacho's client, or should we be using the default?
Jackard wrote:moral of the story - the 'aesop', if you will -

all germans are evil
Darkren

Postby Moracin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Whoohoo! See you all in the new world. Those FEP and Quality changes sound nice!

But I don't really like the Clay changes
Last edited by Moracin on Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingame name: Natimo
Moracin

Location: The wonderful mining village of Gereburg "The Earth Fortification"

Postby Jackard » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:14 pm

Klaatu.... Barada.... Nik---

Nic-

NnnNNnn.

Nickle, Necktie? It was definitely an N word!

*looks around*

Klaatu, Baradu, Nik-kerhurherr *coughs*

*resets servers*
Jackard

Re:

Postby Seizure » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:18 pm

Jackard wrote:Klaatu.... Barada.... Nik---

Nic-

NnnNNnn.

Nickle, Necktie? It was definitely an N word!

*looks around*

Klaatu, Baradu, Nik-kerhurherr *coughs*

*resets servers*

lol, I love you sometimes man.
Seizure

Postby Darki » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:19 pm

Clay idea sounds like a big DICK to brick walls ? :x
Darki

Next

Return to Announcements