Game Development: Apocalypse

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Apocalypse

Postby Lothaudus » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:50 am

Limitations is great but yeah, seems it was taken to the X-TREME™ as always.

Rhiannon wrote:yet that food bar still goes down just as fast as always...lol

Yes, fix this PLEASE. Wasn't that one of the points of the reset, so you can safely rebalance hunger without having the perceived "over-supply"? Eating fish still results in the hunger bar going up a mere single pixel while you get hungry as fast as ever.

GODDAMNED HUNGER EATING FOOD NOT CATCHING ENOUGH TO STOP STARVING RAGE. I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for a single fisherman to be able to catch enough fish to feed himself and do something else that day as well.
Barry Fletcher Norwin
Lawspeaker of Crossroads - Leader of Codexia - Keeper of the Cheese
http://www.rpgcodex.net
Lothaudus

Postby Shoop » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:03 am

Chickens + Rabbits seem to solve my hunger pangs until I get a sling.
Shoop

Postby Unluckie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:04 am

7 Branches 7 Branches!!! I like the slash and burn style resources but seriously 7 branches and 1 clay and apples come on I survived on apples until I had a house and a field. I pretty much see an overwhelming agreement to dial back the resource scarcity but don't get rid of it a great idea. Also how do I find these new clay areas then? something like a dowsing rod? or do I just keep digging.
Unluckie

Postby loftar » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:15 am

The clay limitation may be a bit extreme; I'm not sure. It could certainly be argued that it's hard to build a camp the way you used to be able to. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind it if the new scarcity of clay simply means that we'll have to open a new branch of the resource-tree to create opportunities for those who don't have clay instead. We'll stand by and observe for now. :)

As for there being 7 branches per tree, I don't really see the problem, since there isn't exactly a shortage of trees. :) There seems to be a misconception going on that branches don't regrow, though. All the tree resources do regrow. It just takes some time. It is worth noting, though, that picking lotsa stuff (with the exception of seeds and fruits) from a tree might lower its quality over time.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Flocke » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:18 am

sorry, but this clay thing doesn't work for me too...

it's to hard to get clay now, to my mind!
Flocke

Postby Nanothnir » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:22 am

Don't take hunting, and just leave foraging.
And you can raid the ant hills to gather a ton of Food without being attacked...
But after taking hunting the Ants will attack you...
[Politics] The word was derived by the joining of two others, Poli - A Latin word meaning Many. And Tics - Annoying Bloodsucking Parasites...
Nanothnir

Postby sonerohi » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:29 am

The key is to play in groups. My group managed 3 wood bows with what taproot we could find, and are hunting as a party with coordinated volleys and some sign post traps.
sonerohi

Postby stickman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:31 am

Edit nm... didn't fully read update
stickman

Postby Unluckie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:42 am

loftar wrote:As for there being 7 branches per tree, I don't really see the problem, since there isn't exactly a shortage of trees. :) There seems to be a misconception going on that branches don't regrow, though. All the tree resources do regrow. It just takes some time. It is worth noting, though, that picking lotsa stuff (with the exception of seeds and fruits) from a tree might lower its quality over time.

I understand what you mean but my rant was more about the randomness of the number 7 and the sorta randomness of other resource numbers. A wicker basket is 10 branches why not the number 10 for conifers I think one wicker basket per tree is reasonable. The wicker baskets just being an example I think it would be good for the numbers to have some sort of reasoning behind them associated with a craftable item or so on.

While I'm on a rant I might as well continue after having played some more, apples as an example 5 per tree great I like that number actually maybe a little low but it creates a dynamic for newbies of a nomad moving from place to place catching rabbits or eating apples, or figs or chickens blah blah blah and finally the reason for my rant now that apples are finite make it one click to keep gathering just like branches just eliminates a lot of needless clicking same goes for most things I'd say. I think the new resource limit really makes this a non issue.

I'm sure there will be more still love this game but slightly less enthusiastic for now
Unluckie

Postby Keram » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:44 am

Is it just me, or minimap is disabled? In any way - could someone help me to solve this?
Keram

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements