Game Development: Apocalypse

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Apocalypse

Postby stickman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:50 am

what exploration/perception do i need to find these herbs that make crops?
stickman

Postby loftar » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:54 am

stickman wrote:what exploration/perception do i need to find these herbs that make crops?

They are level 150, which means that you'll start finding them at EXPL*PERC = 75, and you'll find them all at 300.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Nanothnir » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:57 am

//Had another Read of the OP//

So wait......

We need to gather this herb to plant crops such as Wheat, Flax and Carrots. Which means you need to find food that boosts your Perception. That doesn't sound right...
[Politics] The word was derived by the joining of two others, Poli - A Latin word meaning Many. And Tics - Annoying Bloodsucking Parasites...
Nanothnir

Postby Lothaudus » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:59 am

loftar wrote:The clay limitation may be a bit extreme; I'm not sure. It could certainly be argued that it's hard to build a camp the way you used to be able to. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind it if the new scarcity of clay simply means that we'll have to open a new branch of the resource-tree to create opportunities for those who don't have clay instead. We'll stand by and observe for now. :)

I personally think the clay limitation will be fine as I'm assuming when you find a decent Q spot, you'll be able to dig a fair bit out from around that area. Obviously getting the highest Q will take time but that goes some way to reducing insane Q and stopping the CLAY HAULING from a single spot.

A couple of things though:

1. Why would I build a Log Cabin over a Timber House? Log Cabin's now require precious rare Boughs (is a good thing), require only 100 less blocks of wood than the Timber counterpart and yet are vastly smaller than their Timber counterparts. A Log Cabin should be exactly that, 50 Blocks of Wood, 25 Boughs. IE: Quicker and easier to build for what it is.

2. That's some tiny ass doors on those new houses. Seems more like a crawlspace than a proper door.

3. When you're designing things, can you put some consideration into how many / often / long something should take on a per game day basis? As in: How many chickens should a heathling have to eat per game day to survive, if they are only living off of chickens that day? How many fish should a hearthling need to catch per game day if they are surviving only off of fish? If they build a fire, how long should a fire last before it goes out, forcing someone to re-build another fire for cooking? And then rebalance accordingly. 'cause at the moment, eating 10 - 15 fish, doing some work and then eating another 10 - 15 fish within the same game day is pretty ass.

I'd like to be able to spend a morning and catch enough fish to feed myself and a few other people for that day, so I can get some real shit done. Not play an "eating food" simulator and wondering why my character isn't some fat ass McNugget of a Hearthling given the quantities he needs to consume just to stay alive. Make starving actually mean starving. This is starving. It takes a human being 30 days to die from starvation. Not an hour.

/Goddamned hunger rage

4. Love the new trees. :)

5. The stones are fucking huge.

Nanothnir wrote:We need to gather this herb to plant crops such as Wheat, Flax and Carrots. Which means you need to find food that boosts your Perception. That doesn't sound right...

Get 7 points of Exploration = 70 with base PER of 10 (7 EXPL * 10 PERC = 70). 30 Exploration will find everything. 3,500 LP to get EXPLOR to 8, so it's not the problem you perceive (from my own understanding).
Barry Fletcher Norwin
Lawspeaker of Crossroads - Leader of Codexia - Keeper of the Cheese
http://www.rpgcodex.net
Lothaudus

Postby Russaria » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:08 am

loftar wrote:
stickman wrote:what exploration/perception do i need to find these herbs that make crops?

They are level 150, which means that you'll start finding them at EXPL*PERC = 75, and you'll find them all at 300.

Jeez, so people just walk around trying to find 5 fruits from a smathering of trees while they grind into their exploration to find a magic weed to dry to make a seed "of some kind"...yeah..what a nice change...not. good weed connection up there or have yall moved on to heroin now.
O bhr bhuva sva
Tat savitur vareya
Bhargo devasya dhmahi
dhiyo yo na pracodayt
Russaria

Postby Agarrett » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:18 am

I was hoping that there was some benefit to the new changes, but none seem to be visible. Seriously, all they did was completely nerf the resources, and highly. The clay restriction is crap, and the branches are a too much as well. How are we supposed to make villages if we want mines? I doubt there are very many locations at all with a mine, AND clay resources. We would be lucky to find q10 clay anywhere, let alone HIGH quality clay.
Agarrett

Postby ungrimm » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:38 am

I am not going to sound too negative yet because there is still much testing to be done, however I so far am not thrilled with the changes. Thus far building has been a bit more complicated and slow and I can not help but to assume its going to get a lot worse.
ungrimm

Postby Jfloyd » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:41 am

ungrimm wrote:I am not going to sound too negative yet because there is still much testing to be done, however I so far am not thrilled with the changes. Thus far building has been a bit more complicated and slow and I can not help but to assume its going to get a lot worse.

It seems just fine, you shouldn't be able to construct a log house within 10 minutes of starting, in real life it'd take a few days.
I think it's pretty balanced and I haven't been having troubles.
"When I grow up, I want to be just like Kaka" -James Floyd, on growing up.
Jfloyd

Postby Shoop » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:47 am

Foxes are invincible.
I've nearly starved myself fighting one for over an hour now.
Shoop

Postby Leusoj » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:52 am

It's official.. no clay around my block. :lol:
If you cannot command, then you must obey.
Leusoj

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements