Game Development: Sniffing Glue

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Sniffing Glue

Postby Onionfighter » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:15 pm

Lothaudus wrote:1. Remove teleportation completely. Hirdporting, travel to hearth, travel to village, crossroads. ALL OF IT.

Since the new map, I really haven't been using teleportation much, and I agree with most of the ideas you presented in this section.

That said, the game was pretty different before teleportation was implemented (I mean all teleportation, you used to only be able to log in at your hearthfire) people didn't travel much beyond their own villages since there was no quality system, and they could make everything by themselves. With quality there is much more reason to travel for trade and exploration. Boats make travel much easier, mounts would help if they were able to swim, and if bridges were buildable.
Cheerleader
Onionfighter

Postby Gauteamus » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:45 pm

Lothaudus wrote:
Lothaudus wrote:an hour spent travelling as you haul 2,000 pieces of clay back to village in the one trip is suddenly worthwhile.

I want to emphasise this for loftar and jorb too, given their tendency to understate numbers. I quite literally mean 2,000 pieces of clay. Not "2 more chests lulz". 2,000 pieces. You should be able to fit 60 chests on a river barge (6 tiles wide x 10 tiles long). A covered, horse-drawn wagon should be about 3 tiles x 5 tiles and hold about 30 chests. On roads it should move at just above human running speed, off-road it moves at just above human walking speed.

This is where you (partly) lost me.

I think it would be both interesting mechanic-wise and not unrealistic at all if it were SIGNIFICANTLY easier to bulk transport via rivers/lakes than overland.
In my book, a barge should be enormous (64, 100 or 144 chests), but take large amounts or resources to make/need a dock to touch land etc.
A horsedrawn cart on the other hand should still not be enormous, maybe 16 chests tops, or just 9 for the lulz, though I agree on the speed thing (let them be fast buggers)
Gauteamus

Postby KidoKoin » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:32 pm

Gauteamus wrote:
Lothaudus wrote:
Lothaudus wrote:an hour spent travelling as you haul 2,000 pieces of clay back to village in the one trip is suddenly worthwhile.

I want to emphasise this for loftar and jorb too, given their tendency to understate numbers. I quite literally mean 2,000 pieces of clay. Not "2 more chests lulz". 2,000 pieces. You should be able to fit 60 chests on a river barge (6 tiles wide x 10 tiles long). A covered, horse-drawn wagon should be about 3 tiles x 5 tiles and hold about 30 chests. On roads it should move at just above human running speed, off-road it moves at just above human walking speed.

I think it would be both interesting mechanic-wise and not unrealistic at all if it were SIGNIFICANTLY easier to bulk transport via rivers/lakes than overland.
In my book, a barge should be enormous (64, 100 or 144 chests), but take large amounts or resources to make/need a dock to touch land etc.
A horsedrawn cart on the other hand should still not be enormous, maybe 16 chests tops, or just 9 for the lulz, though I agree on the speed thing (let them be fast buggers)

No trader would move his heavy loaded cart at running speed. It is possible, but it would eventually damage his goods or cart, or hurt the horse. And barges shouldn't be motor-boats either.
KidoKoin

Postby Onionfighter » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:34 pm

KidoKoin wrote:No trader would move his heavy loaded cart at running speed. It is possible, but it would eventually damage his goods or cart, or hurt the horse. And barges shouldn't be motor-boats either.

Now you're just looking for a fight.
Cheerleader
Onionfighter

Postby BlankStorm » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:04 pm

Why there is no Stormchasing skill anymore?
BlankStorm

Postby sabinati » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:52 pm

because they took it out along with wind, windchimes, and windswords
sabinati

Postby Jackard » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:01 pm

its still on the skill tree image though
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
Jackard

Postby Xilliah » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:10 pm

I think battering rams should just hurt wooden walls, and for stone walls you need trebuchets. Trebuchets require defense from the attackers, because they are weak. Battering rams are strong, but the defender tries to kill the attackers driving it, with for example archers.

The main issue IMO is that you can't be online all the time to defend your place. The best thing would be to have a city with all around the clock players, which is very difficult. Even if you know you're going to get attacked, you simply can't be there all the time.

What we did in our game is allowing the attackers to win while you were offline (there are automated defenses), and receiving some loot. They would be required to attack multiple times over the course of several days. The amount of times depends on the size and age of the settlement (so new settlements, small are pretty easy to annihilate). The auto defenses require maintenance, so if the attackers come while you sleep or are at work, you can upgrade and maintain the defenses when you are online. Of course it is even better to be there when they attack.
Xilliah

Postby g1real » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:18 pm

Why did they take out winds though.

It was kewl.
loftar: The inner chaos of the Jorbian mind is hard to conceal. :)
jorb: It's called creative license. You know, that thing you seem to want to apply to logic, grammar and coherence? :)
g1real

Postby NaoWhut » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:14 pm

Alts with high ql wind + 5 wind
chimes + breaking them on an
enemy's wall : well i dunno i
never got to try that =o but i'd
figure it'd make assaults easy
and scentless, along with the
people nagging bout it being a
weird add on a while ago.
ImageImage