Game Development: Removed Grievous Damage From Ants

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Removed Grievous Damage From Ants

Postby jorb » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:08 pm

Fair enough, but the speed setting? Is it really that hard to operate?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Garlicman » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:11 pm

Thijssnl wrote:
jorb wrote:
SevenBlade wrote:This broke the game for me.

Between getting camped and all my equipment destroyed by boars, not having the materials to build a protective wall.

I donno, call me a carebear, but I didn't know the dev's were aiming for Dwarf Fortress level hard where you either live to be a vet or get torn to shreds.

What's up with this? You know you can *run away* from boars, right? I have thus far been knocked out once. While afk.

There are also players who didn't create the game and don't know all game mechanics. That's about everyone except you and loftar tbh.

Hey, changing speed to run and trying to flee when you meet a boar doesn't require the knowledge of game mechanics. It's more like common sense.
Garlicman

Postby RayvenQ » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:11 pm

I've ended up having to run away and no matter what run speed, the results are always the sam,e they keep n chasing me, ever so slowly gaining on me until my stamina runs out and then bam, they get me. I've ran at full speed, across grassland, with full stamina and they still manage to get me.
RayvenQ

Postby Alamarian » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:28 pm

jorb wrote:What's up with this? You know you can *run away* from boars, right? I have thus far been knocked out once. While afk.

I've been KO'd three times so far. There are fewer running options in an archipelago. I finally extended my claim to the water and left a boat in the water permanently.
"The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd."
Alamarian

Postby Garlicman » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:57 pm

I've managed to run from boar in the forest a few times. When you are far enough from him, he loses aggro.
Garlicman

Postby makute » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:05 pm

I think it is more a lag issue. When most players starts to flee, they are already been caught.
makute

Postby SevenBlade » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:20 pm

makute wrote:I think it is more a lag issue. When most players starts to flee, they are already been caught.

Yep, 'bout sums it up. I go jog and or sprint depending on the boars distance, but I burn off my stamina and get caught. Wouldn't be so bad, I live near a leech swamp afterall, but the repeated gankings have made me go through 4 sets of leather armor, pants and boots.

And now that finding rabbits for furs means I have to patrol the now boar infested woods....
SevenBlade

Postby shamelesspie » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:26 pm

Ctrl + R to switch speeds without clicking. Run for water if it's available. If not, try to get him caught on stones or trees. the third speed setting is usually enough to out run a boar. If you are in open land where you can run full-speed I still wouldn't, it burns stamina crazy fast and you still really get nowhere. If all else fails, stand and fight. You may be able to get enough damage on him to make him flee. Don't blame the lag for your own failure.
shamelesspie

Postby SevenBlade » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:28 pm

shamelesspie wrote:Ctrl + R to switch speeds without clicking. Run for water if it's available. If not, try to get him caught on stones or trees. the third speed setting is usually enough to out run a boar. If you are in open land where you can run full-speed I still wouldn't, it burns stamina crazy fast and you still really get nowhere. If all else fails, stand and fight. You may be able to get enough damage on him to make him flee. Don't blame the lag for your own failure.

I could probally out-run it in jog for even the slightest amount of time, if I didn't teleport back a few steps with less stamina due to lag.
SevenBlade

Previous

Return to Announcements