Slight Change: Palisades

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Slight Change: Palisades

Postby Ferinex » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:57 am

sabinati, claims would be inherently unwallable if you could only build palisades on claims because claims have to be something like 5 or 6 tiles apart. so yeah, it wouldn't just be effective, it would totally solve the problem altogether.

edit: unwallable in the sense of griefer walling. you could still build your own palisades on your claim.
Last edited by Ferinex on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
i guess they never miss huh
Ferinex

Postby theTrav » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:00 am

They could do it if they managed to set their claims up on cliff borders...

The investment may be a little ... extreme ... for griefing though
theTrav

Postby Splin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:30 am

Potjeh wrote:
sabinati wrote:the reason they haven't and probably won't make it some kind of "only the owner/allies can build" is probably because 1. it would be a lot more complicated to code and would take away from more important development time, and 2. because it wouldn't really be any more effective than sealing cornerposts

I don't think that it would be all that complicated to make it impossible to build anything but siege engines on hostile claims, and if you extend your claim so it touches unbuildable terrain (water or swamp) it'd be perfectly grief-proof.

And what is the point of such a wall, if there is a way to enter?
Splin

Postby Cicious » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:43 am

I like the idea of the update, but not at this moment. Me and a friend have been recently killed by a random dude in our area, so yesterday we started plowing, paving and chopping. We were half way the extra walls around our claims then, bwam crash and update. Now we are pretty screwed up, half of our village is protected while we are trying to get some more leather for the last palisade.. The trespasser guy have the keys to one of my friends claim, but c'mon.. 10 Leather? That's quite a lot..
Cicious

Location: Down the river, to the left then up the waterfall, then after 1000 tiles, to the right.

Postby Potjeh » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:48 am

Splin wrote:
Potjeh wrote:
sabinati wrote:the reason they haven't and probably won't make it some kind of "only the owner/allies can build" is probably because 1. it would be a lot more complicated to code and would take away from more important development time, and 2. because it wouldn't really be any more effective than sealing cornerposts

I don't think that it would be all that complicated to make it impossible to build anything but siege engines on hostile claims, and if you extend your claim so it touches unbuildable terrain (water or swamp) it'd be perfectly grief-proof.

And what is the point of such a wall, if there is a way to enter?
wall.PNG
wall.PNG (1.73 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Splin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:27 pm

Splin

Postby Potjeh » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:29 pm

We're not discussing what is, but what should be.

Damn it, I'm failing to work "What is and what should never be" into this :(
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby bitza » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:44 pm

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MONTRESOR!"

"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!"
Karede wrote: It takes a special kind of autism to play this game
bitza

Postby Pansy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:13 pm

bitza wrote:"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MONTRESOR!"

"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!"

:lol: :lol:
Pansy

Postby makute » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:28 pm

Alkarym wrote:it is not all that bad altho i do see some flaws in that:

Ex.: 50 roots/string is alot to find in the first few days/week of play and thus, 5 ropes is a bit much for a new player but quite easy for more experienced and organized greifers.

i do agree that setting an ownership on the palissade would greatly help the problem, quite as the ownership of a claim post.

This^
Ferinex wrote:gameplay > realism

And this^

Realism should never, ever, be a way for some to ruin others work/fun. I love the kind of realism that H&H relies on, but there are better and fairer ways to discourage grieffing that the current update.

My two cents is that should be implemented a totally unrealistic Karma or Corruption system, that penalizes vandalism and assassination: a reduction on LP gain, preventing reincarnation, or disabling the attitude sliders could work.
makute

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements