Slight Change: Palisades

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Slight Change: Palisades

Postby Moracin » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:30 pm

Alkarym wrote:i do agree that setting an ownership on the palissade would greatly help the problem, quite as the ownership of a claim post.

That would work pretty well
Ingame name: Natimo
Moracin

Location: The wonderful mining village of Gereburg "The Earth Fortification"

Postby Morne » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:06 pm

At least glue has multiple purposes now.
Morne

Postby Splin » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:42 pm

*forced brick wall building while cheap enough*
Splin

Postby sabinati » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:52 pm

GalGof wrote:don't u think about making palisade more resistance to decay?
because right now people have to repair wall every day, and it's strange, that to destroy palisade u need to build battering ramp, but if it so strong - it could became broken by decay in few days =\

this
sabinati

Postby Jackard » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:05 pm

If you were going to do this then what then is the point of sealing, other than preventing owners from rebuilding gates and short walls that decay or are destroyed?
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
Jackard

Postby Leonard » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:13 pm

Damn, since when are we unable to build cupboards outside? Now we have no means of storage at our docks and a bear tore though our remaining cupboards -.-
Leonard

Postby Ferinex » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:11 am

make palisades+brick only constructible on claims/village claims by the owner/member of the claim or those who have permission.
Last edited by Ferinex on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
i guess they never miss huh
Ferinex

Postby martinuzz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:12 am

I must say, that my first thought on this update was: 'Hmm.. Well.. This won't be a problem for organized griefwallers.. Won't stop them at all. This WILL be a problem for new players wanting to protect their claim'

Also. I strongly support the less pallisade decay suggestion. Present decay rate is just absurd.
martinuzz

Postby ImpalerWrG » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:49 am

Its obvious from the changes being made first with sealed posts now with added costs that Loftjorb clearly prefer non ownership based means of controlling wall griefing, perhaps it's simply a technical reason or they just don't like the 'gameness' of saying that someone cant do something because of an ephemeral 'claim'. Also theirs historical precedence, the famous double encirclement of Alesia by Caesar shows that 'walling in' isn't something that should be totally eliminated, it just needs to become a normalized part of siege warfare, the expenditure in time and resources to wall someone in needs to be comparable to the effort needed to make the initial wall.

I find the whole idea of the super expensive initial post to be off putting, I'd rather see something ware cost is more linear say 5 blocks for wall segment and 20 for posts, any extra stuff like glue and rope could just be required every 10-20 segments or part of posts which are instead required ever 10-20 segments. Of course that would bring back griefing big time, what's needed is a better means of deconstructing walls, something ware you can remove the wall (or anything else for that matter) very slowly perhaps over the course of days without anything special tools or equipment. The un-building process can be completely reset by someone else doing a repair though, so maintaining a wall against someone trying to break in or out requires a some kind of upkeep.

Personally I'm glad we walled up our copper mine yesterday, it needed 4 separate walls to seal off the narrow spaces between cliffs. If this change had been in effect we would probably have built one long wall just inside the cliff edges.
ImpalerWrG

Postby sabinati » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:41 am

the reason they haven't and probably won't make it some kind of "only the owner/allies can build" is probably because 1. it would be a lot more complicated to code and would take away from more important development time, and 2. because it wouldn't really be any more effective than sealing cornerposts
sabinati

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements