Game Development: Die Noobs, Die.

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Die Noobs, Die.

Postby shamelesspie » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:09 pm

Notice how jorb has not commented :D
shamelesspie

Postby ThirdEmperor » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:23 pm

No you wouldn't get recaptured because if they tried to camp your hearthfire you would port somewhere else, sowhere totally random where they could never find you. Also the idea that only people powerfull enough to enslave others support the idea is STUPID, I'm one of the main supporters and I can't kill a ant.
ThirdEmperor

Postby theTrav » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:24 am

TheTrav wrote:Popularity is not a guarantee of quality

Alamarian wrote:However you wish to judge a good game, popular ones do not have hard starts.

Did you not read what I said? Was I not clear? I care not for popularity, arguing that the dev's should do something because it makes the game popular is going to meet with my disapproval. I feel popularity should never be used as a target or a measure, ESPECIALLY in non commercial ventures such as this one.
theTrav

Postby loftar » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:12 am

shamelesspie wrote:Notice how jorb has not commented :D

I do think we've made it clear from time to time that Haven is far too easy and forgiving, and that we'd like to turn the early game especially into more of a wilderness survival experience. Jorb is currently replaying the early game again after the map reset, and is complaining to me how easy everything is about about 50 times per day so far, so it is probably safe to say that he hasn't changed that sentiment lately, either. :)

I, for one, wouldn't mind if the experience of a new player included dying a couple of times before getting a grip of stuff*. In that way, I am also in support of what theTrav says. That's not to say that there aren't other things that should be made easier. It would be nice to equip the starting area with an optional tutorial that guides new players through a couple of the UI functions and simple stuff like building fires, basic crafting, basic combat, and gives information about what some important things like Hearth Fires do.

The wilderness, however, is far too forgiving right now, in my opinion. I don't really understand how people can state an opinion to the contrary. I mean, even with a noob character, I can wander the entire world basically without fear for anything at all, except possibly other players. Food is abundant (and was even before the hunger rebalance); it's easy to flee from animals, and even if you cannot and they knock you down, all that happens is that you lie out cold for a minute and can continue afterwards; and there are no other dangers to speak of whatsoever.

* It should have to be emphasized explicitly, but since people might start complaining how boring it would be to have to replay the first steps a hundred -- nay, a MILLION -- times, increased difficulty would obviously have to be compensated by a more fun and varied early game.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby DeadlyPencil » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:14 am

if you want to make the game harder...

change the way you get metal. mines and metal are what makes the game easy IMO. Also if you were to make it so animals counldn't be trapped with building signs (make so they can walk right through them like a hearth fire) but instead make it so players had to "net" or trip up the animal with a bolas and stab it with spears (new starting weapons) etc i think it would make the game better and harder. trapping animals with building signs and easy metal are what makes the game easy.
DeadlyPencil

Postby shamelesspie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:17 am

I'm down with fun in exchange for difficulty. Especially if there was to be some changes to the combat system. As it is now it's just a matter of, block, aim, shoot. Sometimes some chasing thrown in there.

(Also, All I meant by "Notice how jorb has not commented :D" is that he's probably playing like a madman lol.)
shamelesspie

Postby Jackard » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:20 am

loftar wrote:I do think we've made it clear from time to time that Haven is far too easy and forgiving, and that we'd like to turn the early game especially into more of a wilderness survival experience. Jorb is currently replaying the early game again after the map reset, and is complaining to me how easy everything is about about 50 times per day so far, so it is probably safe to say that he hasn't changed that sentiment lately, either. :)

I, for one, wouldn't mind if the experience of a new player included dying a couple of times before getting a grip of stuff*. In that way, I am also in support of what theTrav says. That's not to say that there aren't other things that should be made easier. It would be nice to equip the starting area with an optional tutorial that guides new players through a couple of the UI functions and simple stuff like building fires, basic crafting, basic combat, and gives information about what some important things like Hearth Fires do.

The wilderness, however, is far too forgiving right now, in my opinion. I don't really understand how people can state an opinion to the contrary. I mean, even with a noob character, I can wander the entire world basically without fear for anything at all, except possibly other players. Food is abundant (and was even before the hunger rebalance); it's easy to flee from animals, and even if you cannot and they knock you down, all that happens is that you lie out cold for a minute and can continue afterwards; and there are no other dangers to speak of whatsoever.

* It should have to be emphasized explicitly, but since people might start complaining how boring it would be to have to replay the first steps a hundred -- nay, a MILLION -- times, increased difficulty would obviously have to be compensated by a more fun and varied early game.

sir i believe there is a important distinction between a challenging game and one merely difficult to pick up Image
Jackard

Re:

Postby theTrav » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:00 am

Jackard wrote:sir i believe there is a important distinction between a challenging game and one merely difficult to pick up

So now you're arguing the definition of easy? I don't think anyone's suggesting we make the game harder to understand.
I was suggesting we make the game punish mistakes a little more, specifically mistakes involving dangerous wild animals and combat.
Back in the day foxes were a real menace, but people fairly quickly learnt to build fences to keep them out, I don't think that's a major issue in terms of difficulty to pick it up.
theTrav

Postby Jackard » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:06 am

theTrav wrote:So now you're arguing the definition of easy? I don't think anyone's suggesting we make the game harder to understand.

how can i be sure
Jackard

Postby Ferinex » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:58 am

loftar wrote:and even if you cannot and they knock you down, all that happens is that you lie out cold for a minute and can continue afterwards;

It's worth saying that this minute lying on the ground is rather annoying, particularly when you get knocked out multiple times over and over. You should find something to do when someone is knocked out other than forcing them to sit staring at the window for an arbitrary number of seconds.
i guess they never miss huh
Ferinex

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements