Out-of-band development: Horses

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Out-of-band development: Horses

Postby loftar » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:24 pm

Hi forum,

Some of you have been craving for horses for quite some time and I'll have to admit that it's my fault that it has taken so long. Jorb actually drew the horses quite some time ago, but I've been a bit lazy with implementing them. Well, wait no longer; I have taken the time today to finally get them in.

The implementation is not quite complete yet, as there is not yet a corresponding wild animal to tame the horses from, but until such time as Jorb has drawn one, you can get one by offering wheat and carrots to aurochsen. Simply drop 50 units of wheat seeds and 50 carrots around an aurochs, give it some time to eat your offerings, and it will poof into a horse. Note that you'll have to stand by the aurochsen during that time to prevent it from despawning, however.

Once you have a horse, it works pretty much like any domesticated animal. Stallions and mares can mate, and they have another quality meter in their "character sheet" that determines the maximum speed at which they can travel. Its initial setting will be at the quality of the wheat and carrots you offered to the aurochs.

That's it for now, boys and girls. We hope to expand on them very soon with saddles and even armor, and, of course, the ability to turn them into delicious hamburgers. :)

Enjoy!
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Re: Out-of-band development: Horses

Postby burgingham » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:27 pm

I got a donkey...wtf?
burgingham

Postby Avu » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:31 pm

Like anyone would believe you actually programmed more than jorb drew. Try harder.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby Potjeh » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:31 pm

Oh man, using spear on horseback is so OP.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Moracin » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:33 pm

New postby loftar » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:24 pm

Notice the date?

I hope this is real, but I suspect it isn't
Ingame name: Natimo
Moracin

Location: The wonderful mining village of Gereburg "The Earth Fortification"

Postby Haba » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:37 pm

Um... I tamed my first horses, but it seems there is a bug. The horse has "milk quality" and "milk quantity" in the char sheet. I thought this was for the babies, but I could actually milk them.

Even the male ones.
Haba

Postby sabinati » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:38 pm

another useless bullshit update... wtf why do i still even play this game. i can't believe you would implement horses and then wait to implement horse armor. can't wait for that new fusion uo shard to open up so i can play a real game instead of this crap.
sabinati

Postby trotts » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:51 pm

i was always under the impression that april fools pranks had to be implemented before noon
trotts

Postby SynthesisAlpha » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:01 pm

Horse armor is going to require a $5 donation, sabinati.
SynthesisAlpha

Postby RPGenie » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:07 pm

Holyshit it works. I'm so excited I took a picture of my reaction.

Man, I love horses. I ever tell you about the time my kinsman Keith drowned trying to tame a horse? You wouldn't think it could happen cause animals can't run into deep water, but that's how it gets you man. Overconfidence. Keith was with his lady at the time, and he was yellin' for her to save him, but she didn't want to buy the swimming skill.

loftar wrote:That's it for now, boys and girls. We hope to expand on them very soon with saddles and even armor, and, of course, the ability to turn them into delicious hamburgers. :)

Horses are for ridin', not eatin', Loftar.
RPGenie

Next

Return to Announcements