Game Development: Villages

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Villages

Postby ChrisWebb » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:45 am

loftar wrote:I'm curious -- why do you feel that personal claims are so much worse than villages? When we added villages back in June, the main reason was to let people share common ground in a flexible way, since personal claims could only be shared with all or none of one's kin. Those limitations are gone now. Not that I cannot see any reasons, of course, but I cannot help but feel that personal claims are undervalued.

Well, although as you see, I have been here in game awile despite my lack of paying any attention to the forum. So I don't know all the personal info but I have to ask, how old are you? I assume you have played many rpg mmos? I'm a bit lost at the question but will try to elaborate (as all those in my group are in the over 30 crowd and been gamers since civilization was a 5 floppy disk game on a commadore 64 played between a 12.5 phone modem LAN connection :lol: :cry: ) but Guilds, towns, villages, clans, households (So many names in so many mmos for what is called a "village" here) have always been an intregal part of mmos.

They always range from quiet small carebear guilds to massive forum hog machismo guilds but whatever and whereever yours falls in the specturm, it is vital for most mmo gamers to have a sense of social community punctuated by a visable monument of pride, belonging and achievement (Avatars, signatures, symbols, idols, statues ect, whatever is used in a particular game to signify or identify a gamer's place in the world) to the rest of the community. Personal claims are just that, a stake in the ground in front of a cabin. They have no name, they have no fire, they signify no community, they are alone. Of course it goes without saying that some group of individuals can ban together and tract a few houses and co-op their claims into some collection and perhaps even define borders and do design work. But in the end, to me, it is just that, some houses on the road in a wilderness..together but alone. The "thrill" is not there.

I have heard, experienced and am fully aware of the greifer problem suffered in the 2nd world, the quite unattractive and (Professionally) embarassing group of gamers this game attracted back then, to them the thrill and pride experienced by professional gamers is not there. This accounts for the unfortunate clash suffered by this game. I understand the foray into creating a game can be overwhelming, especially if a game surprises people and begins to find itself attracting more than a close circle of developer friends and actually begins to attract professional, hardcore and high expectational gamers. Personal claims just do not create the same feel that is expected by social gamers. Myself included. Had this new update forced me (I do not think it will kill us, we are trying to maintain and find a way to adjust) to be relagated to just a personal claim/s with my kinsmen OR be a slave to another village who's dictates, leadership, atmosphere and overall cultural gameplay are unknown to me, I would have drown my character (to resist any temptation to return) and moved on back to my Clan in Eve which I stopped playing when I was told about/shown this game if I determined I was no longer welcome as a casual player and only left with the above options. Which shows you for example how important the social pride and visable achievement such things are to me, and all those I know who play.

So I think to answer your question I would have to just say, it is a hardcore sandbox gamer thing, personal claims may indeed hold some of the same attributes such as crime scents (a system I find interesting aside from the murder which takes it too far and is 99.9% without penalty or recourse for most players) but a personal claim holds no pride as such that most mmo players would need to feel any acomplishment. "this land is owned by someone" does not hold any prideful signifigance to me or anyone I know who plays this or any other game. It is just not the same, and I'm not really sure there is any way to make it hold any more.

Hope I didn't come across in a bad way, just tried to explain as best I could,
Thanks
ChrisWebb

Postby ThirdEmperor » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:51 am

How about instituting some kind of of benefit from having a large town? Like a increase in village claimed resource quality? Or a bonus to villagers combat skills while inside the claim? How bout a scent quality increase? This would give people a reason to develop large communities while allowing them to create smaller ones if they wish.

Better yet, change the authority system entirely, how bout this, the number of statues/banners you can build is limited by how many village members you have, however, you must sacrifice a randomly selected item at the village idol each week or your village membership stops counting towards max authority objects buildable and banners/statues over the limit start degrading. If you have enough villagers you can upgrade your village to a town ect.

One final note, at some point you should be able to combine willing villages with yours, granting bonuses to both villages/towns and giving villagers from either village membership in both.
ThirdEmperor

Postby ChrisWebb » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:07 am

Lothaudus wrote:The mine alt? You have other characters that you play more often than the mine alt?

They want to make you earn some things. Why should everyone who decides to start be able to found and maintain a village? Shouldn't a village denote a sufficiently large enough, organised community and not just "three guys with a dog who play once a week"? Shouldn't coming across a village give some sense of civilization, that you've found something rare, something special? A chance to trade with someone? As opposed to "yet another empty place where no-one is online" dumped over resources no-one is using?

Shouldn't maintaining a decent, workable society denote some kind of effort? And give some sense of achievement to those who can accomplish it?

That only leaves me thinking you literally are a very small group of friends (maybe 2 - 3 people?) who only login once every couple of days. What should I think when I come across your "village"? "Great, finally, civilization!! Maybe I can trade?" or "meh, another dead village with nobody home. Waste of time bothering with these guys".

Now, whether jorb and loftar will add in some sort of smaller 'tribe' option for the smaller groups I don't know.

At this time no, I have fun doing what I am doing, I grind in the woods, dig ore, and smelt. I know many do not like mining, I do very much.

Although I agree that "three guys and a dog who log in once a week" may indeed NOT deserve the prestige of a village, however no, we are 5 real people most of whom log in daily for 1 to 8 hours UNLESS days of work or RL issues cause 1 or more of us not to. But there is always at least 1 or 2 who log in for hours per day, it is not the amount of people, it is the lack of decent LP for daily taks that causes this to be so unbalanced, either daily task work should be raised or the drain should be lowered just a bit IMO. To address your other point. No, I humbly disagree as you are pigeon-holding a personal perception and trying to make it law as opposed to a personal opinon (much is wrong with the real world on that cause).

Your determination of what is "work" or "achievement" and the criteria to define them is yours alone and or those who share it. We of Ravenholm, and those who are similar in make-up have to work 10 times as hard as a village with 30 people if you consider the proportions. Is 5 people who have to raise all stats to do all things working harder than those who delegate and get to concentrate on one thing while we manage to achieve the same monument? A wall, silk, metal, pleasing design? Who is to say right, it is all perspective. What I do know is that what we have managed to build, with just 5 casual players, that pleases us to no end, is the EXACT same achievement that Sodom feels in the pride of it's monument. So do we deserve to be pushed out of our village and joy to further uplift the supposed feeling of achievement of Sodom? When we worked just as hard and long and with same time and effort and sincere attention to the game as they?

With NO macros, no cheats, no gifts, no help (Not saying that Sodom did, just using that city as example). So no, Because you are more people does not mean your achievement is more grand...from my perspective it is US who had to work harder. This is why personal perspective is often NOT a good thing to enact game law over.

Thanks for your thoughts
Last edited by ChrisWebb on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
ChrisWebb

Postby sabinati » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:15 am

well said, ChrisWebb.
sabinati

Postby ThirdEmperor » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:45 am

ThirdEmperor wrote:How about instituting some kind of of benefit from having a large town? Like a increase in village claimed resource quality? Or a bonus to villagers combat skills while inside the claim? How bout a scent quality increase? This would give people a reason to develop large communities while allowing them to create smaller ones if they wish.

Better yet, change the authority system entirely, how bout this, the number of statues/banners you can build is limited by how many village members you have, however, you must sacrifice a randomly selected item at the village idol each week or your village membership stops counting towards max authority objects buildable and banners/statues over the limit start degrading. If you have enough villagers you can upgrade your village to a town ect.

One final note, at some point you should be able to combine willing villages with yours, granting bonuses to both villages/towns and giving villagers from either village membership in both.

Any thoughts on my idea? Just wondering whether anybody liked it.
ThirdEmperor

Postby Onionfighter » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:54 am

It's easily exploited by using alts. Also, having a big village should be its own reward.
Cheerleader
Onionfighter

Postby danath » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:55 am

Basically you have written about symbolism. Because you have built the structure of a village, you deserve to be called 'village', not merely "that bunch of houses behind a wall over there". I'm quite asleep, so I'll just ask. When there are no authority points left...
Is the "Entering <village name>" been shown?
Do the auth objects still exist?
Do the crossroads signpost still work?
Do you still have the village chat?

If the answers are yes to all, I simply don't see the problem. If you are few, it's not a big issue to use the kinlist for the permissions in the stake claims if your issue is to have your territory claimed. If not, I'd ask to update so they work like that. After all, this update objective is to avoid mass claiming by a bunch of guys just to control resources. Or am I wrong?
danath

Postby bear2973 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:44 pm

what are you suppose to do if you are on vacation for a few weeks?
bear2973

Postby Jackard » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:41 pm

Every single member of your village mysteriously vanishes for a few weeks? Really?

Is that somehow not abandonment? You expect to find everything just as you left it? What if it was a few months - still okay?
Jackard

Postby SuckMyNick » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:53 pm

bear2973 wrote:what are you suppose to do if you are on vacation for a few weeks?

14x15 = 210. Then you just need to fill your auth before you going to vacation.
SuckMyNick

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements