Game Development: Villages

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Villages

Postby ThirdEmperor » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:16 pm

SuckMyNick wrote:
bear2973 wrote:what are you suppose to do if you are on vacation for a few weeks?

14x15 = 210. Then you just need to fill your auth before you going to vacation.

Lemme see, college exams, jobs, vacations ect. All of these can keep you from playing for a few days, maybe even a week, and even were you to fill up your authority, it's very common to no-one to be able to sign on for three days or so, and with the authority drain being what it is, even a full meter would be drained.

As many people have said, give us both a tribe and a village option, tribes lose authority much slower, but villages grant some kind of bonus.

That would work for everyone.y
ThirdEmperor

Postby Haba » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:55 am

Jackard wrote:Every single member of your village mysteriously vanishes for a few weeks? Really?

Is that somehow not abandonment? You expect to find everything just as you left it? What if it was a few months - still okay?

In the duration of that 1-2 weeks, you can have every person of your small village log in, spend 15-20 mins in the game (on avg.) and still not reach the LP GRIND requirements.

Hell, I am doing silk and not unravelling the cocoons. How many LP do I make in the 1-2 hours it takes to process hundreds of eggs/moths/cocoons?
Haba

Postby ThirdEmperor » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:12 am

Haba wrote:
Jackard wrote:Every single member of your village mysteriously vanishes for a few weeks? Really?

Is that somehow not abandonment? You expect to find everything just as you left it? What if it was a few months - still okay?

In the duration of that 1-2 weeks, you can have every person of your small village log in, spend 15-20 mins in the game (on avg.) and still not reach the LP GRIND requirements.

Hell, I am doing silk and not unravelling the cocoons. How many LP do I make in the 1-2 hours it takes to process hundreds of eggs/moths/cocoons?

Correct, lets just implement tribe/village options, that way we get our small, casual, low maintenance tribe and you get your big, active village and are (justly) rewarded for your hard work.
ThirdEmperor

Postby Potjeh » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:02 pm

OK, let's look at this flavour wise. I gather that the LP thing, eventually leading to Wyrd thing, is supposed to simulate how villages are maintained by culture. That is, a village is held together by traditional dances, exchange of pleasantries, etc. But that is just one aspect of a culture. I think that material culture (art, mostly) and religion (not just prayers, but also sacrifices and religious monuments) may play an even more important part in maintaining a group's cultural identity.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby ChrisWebb » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:29 am

Potjeh wrote:OK, let's look at this flavour wise. I gather that the LP thing, eventually leading to Wyrd thing, is supposed to simulate how villages are maintained by culture. That is, a village is held together by traditional dances, exchange of pleasantries, etc. But that is just one aspect of a culture. I think that material culture (art, mostly) and religion (not just prayers, but also sacrifices and religious monuments) may play an even more important part in maintaining a group's cultural identity.

The wyrd thing will probably finally do it all in for me and most I know. Already made villages grindy, if what I've read of the wyrd stuff is accurate on that thread I'll probably move on. Pheonix Dynasty and Runes Of Magic and a lot of other grind magic mmos already have all that noise. This game was pretty unique in it's curent and slightly former incarnations.
I for one am not looking forward to it. Not because it isn't an idea but that it's been done so much. Mmos these days seem to be nothing but same old linear grind, be that pve or magic grind and stupid quests. Everyone of them the same thing with a different atmopshere and graphics..lol Knocking on doors and blah blah no thanks, I can do all that stuff in runes of magic..lol
ChrisWebb

Postby Jaroslav » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:50 am

For the love of god, Keeping an village up does NOT require grinding at all.

I can keep a village up by myself, and i do not feel like i ever grind lp i just do whatever needs to be done such as build walls, make bread, go hunt or whatever.
Considering villages should be consisting of atleast 5 people, there should be no problems whatsoever if i can keep one up by myself.
Jaroslav

Postby Valnar » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:31 am

From what I have seen, if you have 1 or 2 farmers with good int and char and access to booze they can keep up 90% or more of the idol upkeep if you have large farms.
Valnar

Postby Dataslycer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:04 am

Or someone that is proficient at killing all wildlife animals in their path...
If you keep focusing on the shadow behind, you will not see the light in front of you.

Being successful isn't just about hard work and succeeding, it is also about picking yourself up when you fail.
Dataslycer

Postby loftar » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:04 am

This isn't necessarily related to village upkeep, but the discussions in this thread have made me realize once again that the lack of LP from tanning and silk handling sucks a bit. The reason, as everyone knows, is that it is very unclear just where in the process LP should be gained.

In an attempt to alleviate the problem I've added LP when 1) filling the tanning tubs with water or bark and 2) when picking up newly hatched silkworms from the herbalist's table. It is quite a bit ugly, but it's probably better than nothing.

It's just in the code thus far, though. It'll be actualized after the next server restart.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby ThirdEmperor » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:07 am

Well, guess I'll go fill those unused tanning tubs! You could fix it so filled tanning tubs decay faster, that way tanning tubs that aren't used for anything but lp grinding wouldn't clutter up the place.
ThirdEmperor

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements