Game Development: Villages

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Villages

Postby jorb » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:38 am

@ Rhiannon: Again, noted. I hear what you are saying. :)

I don't know when any of this will actually make it in, but I thought I'd share. :)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby flaw » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:41 am

jorb wrote:@ Rhiannon: Again, noted. I hear what you are saying. :)

I don't know when any of this will actually make it in, but I thought I'd share. :)

Here kids, have some candy.
flaw

Postby Potjeh » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:43 am

Oh my, that's one scary squirrel.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby sabinati » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:51 am

Rhiannon wrote:
sabinati wrote:the real issue here, rhiannon, is your rant about authority.

were these discussions you had with other people today, after the change loftar made? how much LP do you usually rack up in a play session? what do you think is an average amount of LP for an average player's average session? how much int and charisma do you and the people you talked to have? how many people are in your village and the other villages you know of?

it's all well and good to think that changes need to be made but you seriously need to chill out.

yes, 15k base lp which = 54k 360% lp if I was to try to handle a day alone if my villagers don't come on is rediculous. Since they made the game to where trusting people is like sticking a knife in your throat, Small villages ARE the safest way to be. So a 5 man village where some of them do not log on everyday is a total macro grind..and I hate being forced to cheat or use a macro and I'm damn sure not going to recruit forum noobs to steal everything and quit a week later. And there are many times when people are socializing or doing things of a non-lp nature. All the villages I know on my grid are less than 5-8 people including my own which is 5. People in a sandbox WANT to design their own stuff and build and play. NOT have to slave in some one else's village and now macro slave in their own just to keep it. INT without cheese is hard to get because even if you did do the shitty fishing system the chance of catching INT fish is not great, especially enough to make a diff. Changing the game to where everyone has to be 5 villages or spend all day macroing is crap. And I won't "Chill out" about having to macro all night, every night, to save my village or bring in a bunch of clutter noobs. It's a horrible update an a horrible system that has taken the fun and work of every single player I've spoken to in RL and in-game today away. So yeah it pisses me off and Im not the kind to get all demure and pretend it doesn't. I think it's a horrible situation and from I've seen and heard today, it pretty much ends the game for most of the people I know who have NO desire to be a slave in your town or one of the other few towns that will be left. All casual players are pretty much given that choice now...slave, macro all night...or quit and go play UO (lol) or something else because ya not welcome here.

if i'm understanding it correctly, as your int and cha rise, the amount of authority restored when you gain lp rises as well. fox gives int. blueberries give int. blueberry pies give mostly int. most fish give int and/or cha (seriously fishing is easy as hell what are you talking about). civilization slider buffs int/cha. bear necklace buffs cha. roasted lamb, grapes, and raisins are easy sources of cha. i find it hard to believe that you would have 10 int and cha a month into the map.

i think you're jumping to conclusions and overreacting. i'm not saying that you're wrong in your opinion that the auth drain is too much, but i don't really think we have enough data to make a good judgement of this system yet.
sabinati

Postby jorb » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:18 am

flaw wrote:Here kids, have some candy.

This is fundamentally a development environment. We will make mistakes, poor updates, updates that don't make sense, and we will have setbacks. I just don't think we should lose sight of the fact that, all in all...

We're doing pretty well here. (Then again, April is *completely* dwarfed by March. ;) )

Jesus. It's been almost a year now since we first got users way back in May. I remember when we pushed the whole night just to get ancestors in, because we were pretty certain we were going to see our first real death the day after. I think bunny slippers came with that update as well. Tempus fugit.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby jorb » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:22 am

Also, FFS, there are no horses in the game yet. Stop throwing your seeds away. :)

jorb

Postby Brickbreaker » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:28 am

jorb wrote:Also, FFS, there are no horses in the game yet. Stop throwing your seeds away. :)

:shock:
Brickbreaker

Postby KoE » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:35 am

Back to jorb's picture/candy/whatever, I have to say the only things I can focus on for more than a second are that absolutely horrifying squirrel and what appears to be a flour sack.

Good lord, I want a flour sack. I wanted a flour sack on the first map when I was full industry and now being full nature makes me want it about three times as bad.

On topic (off-topic? I don't know anymore), I'm sort of curious as to just how much CHA and INT affect the whole calculations. I admit I'm practically innumerate compared to most folks here so jorb's explanation in the first post just made my head spin.

jorb wrote:We're doing pretty well here. (Then again, April is *completely* dwarfed by March. ;) )

Clearly it is the fault of the village update. Or perhaps all the ragequitting from no horses. ;)
KoE

Postby Jackard » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:38 am

KoE wrote:Back to jorb's picture/candy/whatever, I have to say the only things I can focus on for more than a second are that absolutely horrifying squirrel

the squirrel reminds me of the ones from oregon trail

also nothing wrong with candy on easter
Jackard

Postby sabinati » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:39 am

KoE wrote:On topic (off-topic? I don't know anymore), I'm sort of curious as to just how much CHA and INT affect the whole calculations. I admit I'm practically innumerate compared to most folks here so jorb's explanation in the first post just made my head spin.

yeah i'd like a bit more explanation as well
sabinati

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements