Game Development: I was a Highwayman

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: I was a Highwayman

Postby sabinati » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:54 am

should be some kind of non-colliding object, imo (the little ones i mean, i'm fine with the big one having collision)
sabinati

Postby KoE » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:15 am

The main problem I have with that is the aesthetics, but overall it's probably the simplest solution to the issue. Perhaps if it were some sort of tile (at least in appearance, not necessarily in properties) that was fairly distinguishable on all (or most) terrain without being terribly ugly. Then you just plop those in the center of the road (or anywhere if it's just a forest trail), and squadala, we're off.
KoE

Postby Zirikana » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:39 am

Is there any argument against making the current milepost object non-colliding? Is it a programming thing, or what? Seems to me doing that would be the most sensible idea. I agree about the gate idea being aesthetically iffy. Milemarkers and signposts are such a natural, easily recognized thing. You never see "gate" structures used for directing or identifying roads outside of modern highways.

I wonder if there's any plans to make the signs that get hung up part of the mileposts graphically? i.e. make different sprites for 1, 2, 3, etc. signs. A really popular crossroads could have a whole mess of arrows poking off of it :)

As to KoE's idea, that would be pretty good as well. I'd recommend some kind of stone colored sundial-looking image for a marker stone. On a paved road, it would blend right in. On a forest path, it would stand out more.

Basically, i'm cool with anything as long as the whole cart issue is cleared up eventually :P
"Bein' a minotaur is a lot like bein' a regular human except moo" - J. Rowland
Zirikana

Postby Jackard » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:14 am

KoE wrote:The main problem I have with that is the aesthetics, but overall it's probably the simplest solution to the issue. Perhaps if it were some sort of tile (at least in appearance, not necessarily in properties) that was fairly distinguishable on all (or most) terrain without being terribly ugly. Then you just plop those in the center of the road (or anywhere if it's just a forest trail), and squadala, we're off.

just make it a raised stone with no bounding box
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
Jackard

Postby Granger » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:49 am

Jackard wrote:
KoE wrote:The main problem I have with that is the aesthetics, but overall it's probably the simplest solution to the issue. Perhaps if it were some sort of tile (at least in appearance, not necessarily in properties) that was fairly distinguishable on all (or most) terrain without being terribly ugly. Then you just plop those in the center of the road (or anywhere if it's just a forest trail), and squadala, we're off.

just make it a raised stone with no bounding box

Yes, that would make it useable in an intuitive way.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Lothaudus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:20 am

Greatest idea ever. Current milestones are fugly.
Barry Fletcher Norwin
Lawspeaker of Crossroads - Leader of Codexia - Keeper of the Cheese
http://www.rpgcodex.net
Lothaudus

Postby Quasic » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:30 pm

KoE wrote:Well if the topic title is any indication the next updates should be sailing, dam-building, and starships.
I'm having too much fun with that title reference.

Don't give Jorb ideas, we'll be reincarnated as "a single drop of rain" and then people will be dipping kuksas in us just to check our quality. OW.
Quasic

Postby AkaRyu » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:02 pm

Quasic wrote:
KoE wrote:Well if the topic title is any indication the next updates should be sailing, dam-building, and starships.
I'm having too much fun with that title reference.

Don't give Jorb ideas, we'll be reincarnated as "a single drop of rain" and then people will be dipping kuksas in us just to check our quality. OW.

but who would be doing the dipping since everyones a raindrop?
AkaRyu

Postby Jackard » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:42 am

done some more testing...

milestones should either be easily destroyed by their creators or have an option for undoing the last connection, preferably the former

this meticulous plotting/destroying trial and error stuff is draining
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
Jackard

Postby Flocke » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:06 pm

okay, please tell me something about hit points and soak value of a milestone!

many thanks in advance.
Flocke

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements