Downtime: Data corruption

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Downtime: Data corruption

Postby vampiro » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:41 pm

loftar wrote:
saltmummy626 wrote:same problems here, it takes a bit to open windows, and close them. the unfolding menus take a sec all my west-east fences are invisible, (they are back, nvrmnd) and when i enter my house, it makes me enter twice.

the server appears to be acting like the dazed survivor of a building collapse. its still nice to have it back though.

Again,
loftar wrote:Just FYI, the lag is not related to the crash. It just seems that people are raping the connection with forum reading. :)

no way for me to tell for sure without being on your lan, but just doesnt add up man. if you think this is the case then you should set up bandwidth throttling on the web server connections.

"42 users online :: 30 registered, 1 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)"

something is up and i am sure youll find its other than the boards(board reading)
vampiro

Postby KoE » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:50 pm

This also isn't anything like the lag I've seen before. I can move completely freely (no moonwalking, no walking in place, no cattle running through the fence and presumably no carts running through me if I were to pull one), and the minimap loads fine. Graphics however seem to take forever to load, right click functionality is basically gone (I have been staring longingly at these chanterelles for a while now), and inventory is sporadic.

I've had it clear up once or twice, too, but it hardly seems to stay that way for long.
KoE

Postby loftar » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:06 pm

vampiro wrote:no way for me to tell for sure without being on your lan, but just doesnt add up man. if you think this is the case then you should set up bandwidth throttling on the web server connections.

I agree that it is a bit weird. It seemed like forum reading at first, but I'm getting less sure. I'll try and do some tests.

KoE wrote:This also isn't anything like the lag I've seen before. I can move completely freely (no moonwalking, no walking in place, no cattle running through the fence and presumably no carts running through me if I were to pull one), and the minimap loads fine. Graphics however seem to take forever to load, right click functionality is basically gone (I have been staring longingly at these chanterelles for a while now), and inventory is sporadic.

That's very symptomatic for Jorb's connection running out of bandwidth, though.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby g1real » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:11 pm

sabinati wrote:
g1real wrote:Would it be possible for you guys to get a dedicated server bought or something?

I'll gladly donate something for it.

what do you think they're running?

Last time I checked, they were running H&H serverside.

on a desktop scraped together
loftar: The inner chaos of the Jorbian mind is hard to conceal. :)
jorb: It's called creative license. You know, that thing you seem to want to apply to logic, grammar and coherence? :)
g1real

Postby vampiro » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:16 pm

appear to be more with object access requests, maybe db
vampiro

Postby loftar » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:17 pm

vampiro wrote:maybe db

No, it's definitely bandwidth. The server itself is pretty lightly loaded. There is, by the way, no such thing as an "object access request", and neither is there a database of objects. ;)

I'm pretty sure it's because HTTP traffic is more heavy than usual. Not sure what the content is, though. There do seem to be unusually many downloads of the resource JAR, if anything.
loftar

Postby vampiro » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:35 pm

loftar wrote:
vampiro wrote:maybe db

No, it's definitely bandwidth. The server itself is pretty lightly loaded. There is, by the way, no such thing as an "object access request", and neither is there a database of objects. ;)

I'm pretty sure it's because HTTP traffic is more heavy than usual. Not sure what the content is, though. There do seem to be unusually many downloads of the resource JAR, if anything.

http traffic/bandwidth would cause more snap backs and drops no? it is possible its higher than usual, and causing some of the spike lag freezes like normal, but every call (that doesn't exist) seems to do sporadic delays like a function to access the data is getting bottlenecked or its having trouble processing the calls. .

if you have local lan to the machine you could seriously just verify by using another non clouded network to see if you experience same delays.
vampiro

Postby loftar » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:47 pm

vampiro wrote:http traffic/bandwidth would cause more snap backs and drops no?

No, I don't see why. Snap-backs (if you mean rubberbanding) happens when the server process itself lags, and its internal time therefore goes slower than the clients' time. It causes the clients to interpolate movement that hasn't yet happened on the server, and when the server then next updates, characters rubberband back to where they "really" are.

vampiro wrote:but every call (that doesn't exist) seems to do sporadic delays like a function to access the data is getting bottlenecked or its having trouble processing the calls. .

Far more likely is that the data simply doesn't reach the clients, since it is dropped in the connection to the ISP. I don't know really why, but widget messages (which would be responsible e.g. for displaying inventories) seem to be more susceptible to dropping than map objects.

vampiro wrote:if you have local lan to the machine you could seriously just verify by using another non clouded network to see if you experience same delays.

I don't have LAN access to it, though, because it is at Jorb's place. I am experiencing the exact same things over here.
loftar

Postby loftar » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:52 pm

Ah well, I found the problem. Since the server was rebooted, ye olde dysfunctional bandwidth shaper had been configured again.

By the way, the "ye" in this context is actually a cursive variant of "þe", the older spelling of "the". It is completely unrelated to any personal pronoun.
loftar

Postby Lothaudus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:58 am

loftar wrote:Just FYI, the lag is not related to the crash. It just seems that people are raping the connection with forum reading. :)

Wouldn't setting the website up on a different server / hosting resolve that? I know that personally, having the forums up while the game is down would be a little more comforting¹.

¹oh god it's crashed it's been down for a while now what's happening i can't log in oh god oh god i hope it's not a rollback crap have we lost the steel and what about the worms oh god

EDIT: Ok, I see it wasn't the website but would hosting the website (and the game download file it seems) somewhere else resolve some of the lag at all?
Barry Fletcher Norwin
Lawspeaker of Crossroads - Leader of Codexia - Keeper of the Cheese
http://www.rpgcodex.net
Lothaudus

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements