Game Development: Stuff 2 (Judgment Day)

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Stuff 2 (Judgment Day)

Postby Potjeh » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:16 pm

Potjeh wrote:What I'd really like to see is custom-size fields, defined by players just like claims (using a scarecrow or something like that instead of a claim pole). So, you define a 10x20 wheat field, and when you harvest it you just select harvest at the scarecrow and your character walks around the field on his own, harvesting until inventory is filled or you interrupt him. Planting can be done similarly, you come with sufficient seeds in inventory to the scarecrow and select planting (maybe also select crop, in case you have different seeds in inventory).

This system would be easier to use (much less clicking), and would work really well with the crop wishes idea and the liquid-like seeds idea. And you can just designate 1x100 or whatever size fields for roadside flowers. Though a scarecrow would look a bit out of place in a decorative flower bed.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Jackard » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:22 pm

yes! yes!!

(a better method than the scarecrow would be using the Harvest ability on any part of the field)
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
Jackard

Postby ThirdEmperor » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:27 pm

Jackard wrote:yes! yes!!

(a better method than the scarecrow would be using the Harvest ability on any part of the field)

That's what I was thinking, just click and drag to select a area and your char will go around harvesting everything in it.
ThirdEmperor

Postby Haba » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:08 am

"Select area" could be applied to a lot of things. Paving roads, planting grass, plowing, mining, making cheese etc.
Haba

Postby Granger » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:54 am

Haba wrote:"Select area" could be applied to a lot of things. Paving roads, planting grass, plowing, mining, making cheese etc.

Yea, why not switch to an isometric eyecandy version ProgressQuest completely?

But to ease my pain: please support this.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Haba » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:27 pm

Granger wrote:
Haba wrote:"Select area" could be applied to a lot of things. Paving roads, planting grass, plowing, mining, making cheese etc.

Yea, why not switch to an isometric eyecandy version ProgressQuest completely?

Granger wrote:Performing actions on areas
I case the leftovers of the old land management interface (which is curently good for measuring distances and areas) could be enhanced so it would be possible to mark an area and then perform an option on it (coming to my mind here is harvest, plant seed/grass, pickup (fiber/straw), pave) the user would be relieved.

Implementation could be to replace the 'claim' button on the interface with a hotspot. Open interface, select area, activate action or pick a seed type from inventory (so mouse cursor changes to it), click hotspot in area window to start. The action will repeat as long it is possible in the area (eg. plating while there are plowed tiles), and the results will fit into inventory (or can be performed from it, when planting/paving).

Clicks saved: Millions over the lifetime of an avatar
Haba

Postby Granger » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:55 pm

The ProgressQuest comment was about the cheese, because then even i would say that automation has crossed a line.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby spectacle » Thu May 06, 2010 5:13 pm

So is there any use at all for pepper?
Once a man has changed the relationship between himself and his environment, he cannot return to the blissful ignorance he left. Motion, of necessity, involves a change in perspective.
-Commissioner Pravin Lal, "A Social History of Planet"
spectacle

Postby loftar » Fri May 07, 2010 5:19 am

spectacle wrote:So is there any use at all for pepper?

Why, yes; definitely. I would think someone has figured it out by now. :)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby DeadlyPencil » Fri May 07, 2010 5:29 am

you use pepper on food. however.... there is no description change, no graphic change etc etc. so unless your gonna eat the food right away, your not gonna know you put pepper on it. and i dont really have a clue of qualit matters or not.
DeadlyPencil

Previous

Return to Announcements