Game Development: Villages Extended

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Villages Extended

Postby jorb » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:32 am

We've been developing tonight, and here's what's new.

VILLAGES:

The old village system, under which villages ruled specific map grids, has been discarded. The new system allows for freeform village expansion via "authority objects". Authority is a village specific resource generated by authority objects, which is expended when performing certain actions. Each authority object has an area of influence -- which represents the area under village control. Members of a village can see the current authority levels of their village via a new authority meter.

Changed Object, Village Claim: The village claim confers 4000 authority to the village max cap. Regenerates 20 authority/ingame hour.

New object, Village Banner: Authority object. Confers 500 authority to village max cap. Regenerates 5 authority/ingame hour.

New action, "Revoke the Privilege!": While standing on a private claim, the lawspeaker can destroy a claim pole by expending 4 authority points per tile claimed.

New action, Exile: Using this action the lawspeaker can exile a village member (other than himself) from the village, at a cost of 1000 authority points.

New action, Rouse the Rabble: Using this action the Chieftain can restore stamina to any village member (other than himself and the lawspeaker), at a cost of 3 authority per point of stamina restored. The chieftain needs to be within the area of influence of an authority object to perform this action.

New action, Leave the Village: Any village member can leave the village. This drains 500 authority points from the village authority pool.

MISC:

Retired feature, Karma meter: The karma meter has been retired, quite simply.

New action, Destroy Object: A pseudo-implementation. This action can *only* remove Drying Frames atm. No specific reason, why? If you destroy a drying frame on claimed land you will leave a theft clue.

New Object, Loom Having basic mechanics now allows a player to build a loom. The loom is now a required tool for the production of linen cloth.

Heavily requested feature, Dropping: Ctrl+click on an object in an inventory to drop it. ;)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Villages Extended

Postby Onionfighter » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:35 am

This should make things interesting . . .

Some of these sound extremely useful. Nice work!
Last edited by Onionfighter on Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheerleader
Onionfighter

Postby Rift » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:36 am

yay! all good news!
Last edited by Rift on Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rift

Postby Winter » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:38 am

I don't know about being able to destroy stuff(even if its only drying racks) within another person's claim, but the rest is good.
Winter

Postby Hamel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:39 am

Do I even need to say, that this is AWESOME?! :D

Because this is totally awesome!

Thank you so much, Jorb and Loftar!
The grumpiest tree you ever did see.

Character: Hamel, previously Chieftain of Ancient Bottleneck, a founding father of the Confederation of Bottleneck. Currently a hibernating soul.
Hamel

Postby Denvon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:39 am

As always, great work devs! Thank you for another awesome update.
Denvon

Postby killerdynamo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:42 am

jorb wrote:New Object, Loom Having basic mechanics now allows a player to build a loom. The loom is now a required tool for the production of linen cloth.

and linen cloth is required for torches...

it doesn't really affect anyone that's been around, but anyone that's just starting out is going to have problems if they decide they want to try out mining

everything else sounds awesome though
Last edited by killerdynamo on Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
killerdynamo

Postby Yolan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:42 am

'We have been developing tonight, and here's whats new.'

These are words that make me happy. Oh, sweet, sweet features...
Yolan

Postby KoE » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:44 am

jorb wrote:Retired feature, Karma meter: The karma meter has been retired, quite simply.

New action, Destroy Object: A pseudo-implementation. This action can *only* remove Drying Frames atm. No specific reason, why? If you destroy a drying frame on claimed land you will leave a theft clue.

Heavily requested feature, Dropping: Ctrl+click on an object in an inventory to drop it. ;)

Holy crap, I cannot express the sheer jubilation this brings me. I come back after a week-long hiatus and am immediately greeted by two features I considered direly important and the removal of another that annoyed me. (Still dunno how I got 20% naughty.)

This is an awesome update, and not even because of the core part of it. Can't wait to see how the Village stuff gets expanded, even if I am lone rangering it now.
KoE

Postby Hamel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:46 am

Erh, just a question, where exactly can you build a village banner? :?

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems you just can't build them too close to claims or the village idol.
The grumpiest tree you ever did see.

Character: Hamel, previously Chieftain of Ancient Bottleneck, a founding father of the Confederation of Bottleneck. Currently a hibernating soul.
Hamel

Next

Return to Announcements