Game Development: Villages Extended

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Villages Extended

Postby Hamel » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:15 am

Fighting back against a bear until it leaves is different than running around strangling them for sausages, I think.
The grumpiest tree you ever did see.

Character: Hamel, previously Chieftain of Ancient Bottleneck, a founding father of the Confederation of Bottleneck. Currently a hibernating soul.
Hamel

Postby sami1337 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:31 am

check the second video. He killed a mother bear with a motherfucking stick.

If he could do that once, he could do it another time. I am pretty sure humans killed bears in ye olde times as well. Maybe not with their bare hands though. But something to remember is that swords don't do slicing damage and arrows don't do piercing damage. So all damage is the same.
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby Hamel » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:40 am

sami1337 wrote:check the second video. He killed a mother bear with a motherfucking stick.

If he could do that once, he could do it another time. I am pretty sure humans killed bears in ye olde times as well. Maybe not with their bare hands though. But something to remember is that swords don't do slicing damage and arrows don't do piercing damage. So all damage is the same.

With bows, no doubt. Attacking a bear in close combat is a very stupid thing to do. The fellow who killed one with a stick got lucky.

Character: Hamel, previously Chieftain of Ancient Bottleneck, a founding father of the Confederation of Bottleneck. Currently a hibernating soul.
Hamel

Postby sami1337 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:48 am

I am not sure why you think that, because with a long pointy stick or spear you can easily kill a bear by putting one end under your foot and holding the other end in your hand waiting for the bear to attack and kill itself. Pretty much as seen in the movie 300.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
sami1337

Postby kaka » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:14 am

sami1337 wrote:I am not sure why you think that, because with a long pointy stick or spear you can easily kill a bear by putting one end under your foot and holding the other end in your hand waiting for the bear to attack and kill itself. Pretty much as seen in the movie 300.

Or in Braveheart. :)
kaka

Postby niltrias » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:30 am

Among some Native American tribes, at least in the Sierra Nevada Range, it was a rite of coming of age to hunt and kill a black bear with a club. Im sure they didnt go out of their way to find the biggest, meanest black bear around, but still...black bears are NOT grizzly bears.
<Marcher Lord>
Dogs! Oh god, please give us DOGS!
There are those who press on with the ardor of beer, and those who are faint with thirst.
niltrias

Postby Hamel » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:33 am

niltrias wrote:Among some Native American tribes, at least in the Sierra Nevada Range, it was a rite of coming of age to hunt and kill a black bear with a club. Im sure they didnt go out of their way to find the biggest, meanest black bear around, but still...black bears are NOT grizzly bears.

Or just normal brown bears for that matter. Which is what I thought we were talking about. This might explain something. :?

Hamel

Postby sami1337 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:38 am

niltrias wrote:Among some Native American tribes, at least in the Sierra Nevada Range, it was a rite of coming of age to hunt and kill a black bear with a club. Im sure they didnt go out of their way to find the biggest, meanest black bear around, but still...black bears are NOT grizzly bears.

I picture this as young men afraid to get hurt seeking for a bear napping that they could land their club on.

sami1337

Postby StewineBeef » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:09 am

sami1337 wrote:I get to differ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAwCPTkSyZk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSmfK498DjI

How much practice do you think she needed to do all that so fast?

I want to see all these people who say its easy and nothing to do get up and actually try on different locks.
Just because someone can do it fast and easily does not mean it is easy.

Ferinex wrote:
StewineBeef wrote:Picking locks sounds easy, its a lot harder then your making it out to be :lol: .

Me, being someone who likes to play many thief/stealth games yet also love realism decided to try my hand at lock picking in real life. Not to steal from anyone but just to see if its like the games. I researched, got tools, tried my hand at some locks (front door, bathroom, etc on my own place).

Its tough.

Then you absolutely fail at lockpicking. It is not difficult at all.

All talk no action, show us all how easy it is then. Don't bother posting videos of someone else doing it who has practiced *See above video*.
StewineBeef

Postby niltrias » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:24 am

sami1337 wrote:

I picture this as young men afraid to get hurt seeking for a bear napping that they could land their club on.

I remember once hearing about a discovery channel show where, for a similar rite of passage, an indigenous tribe somewhere had to hunt crocodiles. I was looking forward to some crazy melee in a river, but when they actually showed the grand finale, it was a guy with a sharp stick walking up to a 6-foot crocodile, sticking in the back so the stick went through and pinned the croc, and standing there until the croc died.
I dont have any personal knowledge, but I would guess that the bear-hunting rite was somewhat similar. But still. They had to kill a bear with a club.
<Marcher Lord>
Dogs! Oh god, please give us DOGS!
There are those who press on with the ardor of beer, and those who are faint with thirst.
niltrias

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements