Game Development: Villages Extended

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Villages Extended

Postby Ferinex » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:38 am

StewineBeef wrote:All talk no action, show us all how easy it is then. Don't bother posting videos of someone else doing it who has practiced *See above video*.

If I had a video camera I'd upload a video of me picking my house lock :P
i guess they never miss huh
Ferinex

Postby RiverPhoenix » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:13 am

sami1337 wrote:I get to differ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAwCPTkSyZk

The third and fourth locks were the same as the two of the first locks but to be honest they were all pretty much the same locks - all barrel locks bar one which was a padlock with a latch that fails (though combination locks are really not so hard either (though harder than barrel locks).

I don't know what you use to secure your home but in the UK it is not possible to get insurance without having at least one (in some places two) mortice locks - even have three barrel locks means nothing because they are cheap rubbish you can pick in five seconds (with practice) - actually, depending on the door, you don't need to since you can open them with a credit card.

Mortice locks (also known as dead locks) are not so easy to pick, they require strength as well as dexterity and the medieval ones were (as I said before) custom built and weighed in at about five to fifty kilos. Opening them required you to move a good percentage of that weight - using a nappy pin is not a possibility - and each lock smith had a variety of ways of building locks that meant you had to learn how the lock worked before you could open it without a key - not possible with the higher end ones since the smith made sure he used a different method when people paid that sort of money.

http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/h/hi/hisks/1012 ... _chest.jpg

If locks were really that easy to pick people wouldn't use them and insurance companies would insure against theft (or at least would bother requiring certain types of locks).

Crocodile wrestling has a long tradition in various places - particularly Australia (as far as I know :)

Anyways - since this is just a game I guess it's up to the developers what they want ;) - have fun guys - you've not failed us yet (and I hope you never do! ;) :D

Share and enjoy :)

River :)
RiverPhoenix

Postby sami1337 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:20 am

If it requires a key it won't take too long.

I've read alot about old locks before posting that. Including locks from 4000 BC and locks from the golden age. There really was not much of a difference. All were pickable and size didn't really matter.

There were no locks that were perfect before the modern time. And even now all locks are pickable or bypassable.

Why do i need to show how it's done? If that's how everything in the world worked we'd still fight wars with sticks and stones. Just do your research, use good sources and trust they are right.

If you or i fail at picking a lock, flying a jet plane, building a rocket, etc, it doesn't mean everyone does.
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Previous

Return to Announcements