Regarding The Forums: Welcome to H&H

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Regarding The Forums: Welcome to H&H

Postby Deus » Sat May 26, 2012 4:46 pm

Despite the blue eyed idealism, this ideological pitch really did bring forth the scope of the game and what aspects the players should think about when given mechanics which provides tons of choices with a healthy doze of limitations and obstacles. (With greatly diverse and balanced setting, universally applied...then you don't need to rigidly design and balance encounters and scenarios...in fact...you are better not doing so at all...since the various obstacles and scenarios emerges from the co-players which makes the experience much more unique).

I actually got dragged into this game by a Scottish Philo/poli-sci student...and got several people from a political forum on the wagon.
So the whole social/political meta-game really is a pillar for this game (though with all the bitching and ridicule you see in "In Congress Assembled" whenver someone tries to organize something interesting I think that aspect eludes many).

One thing you expressed in your view I'm not gonna slide though...

Promoting both Liberalism and Nationalism is naive at best, intellectually dishonest at worse... hypocritical/delusional at worst.
How is judging an individual's right of life in a society, based on some collective emotional arguments...in any way,shape or form compatible liberal ideals? Because I'm telling you...the Moral arguments against coercion seems as flat as an Ayn Rand character.
Deus

Postby jorb » Sat May 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Well, OP is two years old, so it isn't exactly 100% up to speed with my present philosophical outlook. I do not not today associate the words "ideology", "nationalism" or "liberalism" -- with the latter two concepts obviously being species of the first -- with anything positive. My view is simply that personal autonomy is a social concept that has no meaning outside the context of an antecedent polity. Robinson Crusoe on his island is not in any meaningful sense free, he is merely isolated. Further, I do not believe that something as ephemeral as ideas can on its own form the lasting basis of a functioning polity, and hence I consider family, culture and nation to be relevant to political discourse, and in that capacity also legitimate values well worth defending.

The good society is a fruit of culture, not one of politics, ideologies or revolutions. Societies are precious flowers that one grows, not mechanistic contraptions to be construed from on high by virtue of some grand central plan.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Shiro_kun » Sat May 26, 2012 8:12 pm

jorb wrote:Well, OP is two years old, so it isn't exactly 100% up to speed with my present philosophical outlook. I do not not today associate the words "ideology", "nationalism" or "liberalism" -- with the latter two concepts obviously being species of the first -- with anything positive. My view is simply that personal autonomy is a social concept that has no meaning outside the context of an antecedent polity. Robinson Crusoe on his island is not in any meaningful sense free, he is merely isolated. Further, I do not believe that something as ephemeral as ideas can on its own form the lasting basis of a functioning polity, and hence I consider family, culture and nation to be relevant to political discourse, and in that capacity also legitimate values well worth defending.

The good society is a fruit of culture, not one of politics, ideologies or revolutions. Societies are precious flowers that one grows, not mechanistic contraptions to be construed from on high by virtue of some grand central plan.

Salt fucking illegal vault :x
[6:46:50] Alex: I think it would of been instresting to be in nazi slave camp
[6:46:55] Alex: The only downside is the real lack of food
Shiro_kun

Postby CockyBastard » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:24 am

Reading the first paragraph of links, I thought to my self this is great; add that to my list of things to read if bored.
Then after copy & paste, I scrolled... down, yikes! Looks like your entire horde of memstick data was posted. Great stuff, I have much to expand my mind with now. (who needs drugs when you have wikipedia history of the universe).

BTW don't shoot Hitler, he was ill, it wasn't his fault. Sociopaths cannot help themselves we must help them (neurosurgery appears to be very effective treatment in opening access to the empathy part of brain).
I arrived from the New World.
CockyBastard

Postby Potjeh » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:27 am

jorb wrote:The good society is a fruit of culture, not one of politics, ideologies or revolutions. Societies are precious flowers that one grows, not mechanistic contraptions to be construed from on high by virtue of some grand central plan.

Ah, I see we're coming closer in political views ;)

IMO, society is like a bonzai tree, and government intervention is like a pair of pruning shears. If you overuse them you kill the tree, but if you don't use them at all you get a seriously ugly bonzai.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Loopoo » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:57 am

I'm back!
Loopoo

Postby borka » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:39 am

wb!
borka

Postby Tonkyhonk » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:06 pm

Potjeh wrote:bonzai

"bonsai" for those who had to google it :roll:
Tonkyhonk

Postby niltrias » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:41 am

Maybe he meant a
BANZAI!

tree?
<Marcher Lord>
Dogs! Oh god, please give us DOGS!
There are those who press on with the ardor of beer, and those who are faint with thirst.
niltrias

Postby krikke93 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:49 am

niltrias wrote:Maybe he meant a
BANZAI!

tree?

Welcome back niltrias? :D
Hope you have a great day
krikke93

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements