Game Development: Villages Extended Further

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Villages Extended Further

Postby jorb » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:11 am

We've been developing tonight, and here's what's new.

Authority objects: Crimes committed within the influence of an authority object will now leave clues, unless you're a part of the village or in the same party as a village member. Theft of village property and trespassing on village land, for example.

New Crime Type, Vandalism: Required to chop down trees, harvest crops or modify terrain on owned land (private claim or village influence). Leaves a 'Vile Vapor of Vandalism' clue. Force summon is possible. New skill required to vandalize.

GUI: A small GUI element has been added right above the minimap. Use this to toggle authority and/or claim overlays. Please note that the authority overlay has some update issues. Nothing critical.

New Actions, Hirdsmen: The village chief can now appoint two "Hirdsmen". The hirdsmen can be summoned by the chief at any time at a cost of 500 authority points per hirdsman summoned. The Chief needs to be within village influence in order to do this. The hirdsmen have two unique pieces of equipment.

Lawspeaker: The Lawspeaker can now renounce his position by interacting with the village idol. Also, when a village has no lawspeaker, any village member with the Lawspeaking skill can claim the position by interacting with the village idol.

Crime toggle: There is now a "Criminal Acts" action in the adventure menu which can be used to toggle between allowing and disallowing your character to perform criminal acts. If this is set to 'off', your character will refuse any action that would produce a clue.

New Object, Statue of The Chieftain: Villages can now erect statues of the Chieftain, which hold 250 authority points, regenerate 3 authority points/ingame hour and have 250% of the range of the village flag.

With this update, we consider this iteration of the village system complete. We will return to it in the future, but for now, we're off to bigger and better things.

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Villages Extended Further

Postby Ferinex » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:13 am

Sweet :D
i guess they never miss huh
Ferinex

Postby niltrias » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:14 am

Wow, looks nice. Almost enough to make me rejoin the village and build a statue of Hamel.
Heh
Hirdsman?
<Marcher Lord>
Dogs! Oh god, please give us DOGS!
There are those who press on with the ardor of beer, and those who are faint with thirst.
niltrias

Postby Onionfighter » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:15 am

What is the purpose of a hirdsman?
Cheerleader
Onionfighter

Postby Malicus » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:15 am

jorb wrote:Crime toggle: There is now a "Criminal Acts" action in the adventure menu which can be used to toggle between allowing and disallowing your character to perform criminal acts. If this is set to 'off', your character will refuse any action that would produce a clue.

Could this maybe be a three-way toggle, with the additional option of not performing actions that would leave a force-summon clue, but still being okay with trespassing and the like?
Malicus

Postby niltrias » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:20 am

This may or may not be related to the update, but the game is telling me that Im already logged in, so I cant get on. I closed everything and tried again, but no joy. Anyone else having issues?
<Marcher Lord>
Dogs! Oh god, please give us DOGS!
There are those who press on with the ardor of beer, and those who are faint with thirst.
niltrias

Postby Malicus » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:21 am

I'm also getting problems. I'm posting them on the bug board.
Malicus

Postby kobnach » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:28 am

jorb wrote:We've been developing tonight, and here's what's new.

New Crime Type, Vandalism: Required to chop down trees, harvest crops or modify terrain on owned land (private claim or village influence). Leaves a 'Vile Vapor of Vandalism' clue. Force summon is possible. New skill required to vandalize.

GUI: A small GUI element has been added right above the minimap. Use this to toggle authority and/or claim overlays. Please note that the authority overlay has some update issues. Nothing critical.

Crime toggle: There is now a "Criminal Acts" action in the adventure menu which can be used to toggle between allowing and disallowing your character to perform criminal acts. If this is set to 'off', your character will refuse any action that would produce a clue.

With this update, we consider this iteration of the village system complete. We will return to it in the future, but for now, we're off to bigger and better things.

Enjoy!

Much appreciated. I like being able to avoid accidental trespass. The claim overlay is useful too; I'd found I could see my own claim with ^L but this allows me to see others - e.g. the claims of my kin. And being able to summon and kill vandals in nice - though I'm afraid no in-game penalty will deter the worst of the griefer breed, and 5000 LP isn't all that much given the amount of LP-earning work some of them are willing to do in pursuit of their hobby.
kobnach

Postby Hamel » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:32 am

I get a statue? Sweet! Yet another awesome update, thanks Devs!

These Hirdsmen sound intriguing.
The grumpiest tree you ever did see.

Character: Hamel, previously Chieftain of Ancient Bottleneck, a founding father of the Confederation of Bottleneck. Currently a hibernating soul.
Hamel

Postby kobnach » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:32 am

Malicus wrote:I'm also getting problems. I'm posting them on the bug board.

I got on just fine, but I'm having the worst performance I've ever seen - as well as experiencing a crash shortly after the reboot.
kobnach

Next

Return to Announcements