Game Development: Circle the Wagons!

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Circle the Wagons!

Postby martinuzz » Sun May 09, 2010 1:06 pm

Folly wrote:Well, wagons do not fit through fence gates. Worse, if you try to take a wagon through a gate, the cow gets stuck on the outside with no way to retrieve him or get through the gate unless you have a back door to your village. So yeah, don't try it.

I can see a lot of PM's going Jorbs way soon..
''Help, we have been griefcarted. Need fist."
martinuzz

Postby kaka » Sun May 09, 2010 2:38 pm

ViciousGamer04 wrote:Quick question. Although I can enter fullscreen now is there any way in which I can do fullscreen while still maintaining other things. As in, running something over haven such as a messenger so that I don't have to minimize haven every time i talk to someone?

Multiple monitors. It's awesome.
kaka

Postby sabinati » Sun May 09, 2010 4:02 pm

ImpalerWrG wrote:without fords or other river crossing ability no viable over-land transportation network can develope.

I don't see why the map having already been generated prevents the creation of fords now, such as during a scheduled maintenance shutdown. Altering a select number of deep water tiles into shallows dose not invalidate anything else such as boats that might be sitting in the water. The placement algorithm could simply be to randomly sprinkle 'hits' across the map about the size of the viewing screen and convert any water they land on, you wouldn't even need to exempt lake water.

at the edges of supergrids there are no river crossings
sabinati

Postby HulkingUnicorn » Sun May 09, 2010 4:14 pm

Seems you can drive across claimed land similar to boating across claimed water without crime activated.
HulkingUnicorn

Postby Granger » Sun May 09, 2010 6:34 pm

So, any chance on getting bigger gates?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Potjeh » Sun May 09, 2010 6:47 pm

OK, so bridges aren't really doable at this time. But are ferries possible? Basically, a big raft that can carry a wagon and it's ox. It doesn't have to be so fancy as to allow movement on it - just give it a predefined slot for a wagon/cart, a couple of chest slots and several passenger slots. Also, make it a cable ferry, so you can pull it to your own bank if it's at the wrong bank.

Also, wagons should hold fodder, and leashed oxen should eat it.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby loftar » Sun May 09, 2010 7:02 pm

Potjeh wrote:OK, so bridges aren't really doable at this time. But are ferries possible? Basically, a big raft that can carry a wagon and it's ox. It doesn't have to be so fancy as to allow movement on it

I, too, have been thinking of that solution, and I think it's quite doable. I haven't worked out all the details just yet, though. It could be really useful if it could be disassembled after use and put into the wagon, though. :)

Potjeh wrote:Also, wagons should hold fodder, and leashed oxen should eat it.

Arguably so, yes.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby KoE » Sun May 09, 2010 7:10 pm

As regards the gate issue and the observation that it 'sucks monkey balls', do you guys actually have an idea for addressing the issue or is it going to lay dormant for weeks (or until you are sufficiently pestered)? (This is all-too-reminiscent of carts and gates back when walls were first implemented.)

The ferry idea is a good one (and one I've been playing around with proposing) and I'm glad to see it's being considered.
KoE

Postby RayvenQ » Sun May 09, 2010 9:26 pm

I suppose a quick slapdash method would be to just make the collision box less wider, alright then you'd have the sprite going through the wall but it's a fix.
RayvenQ

Postby Sinned87 » Sun May 09, 2010 9:48 pm

I suggest bigger gates. 3 or 4 tile gates. (Not a very quickfix, but if we look into the future)

Let's say that palisade can do 3 tiles at best, but you need brickwalls for a 4 tile gate.
2 tile gates would still be available like normal, and cost less than bigger ones.
The builder choses the width with placing cornerposts like normal.

Might end up looking abit riddiculous, wall height might need to be worked upon too :/
Sinned87

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements