Downtime: Data corruption, Round 2

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Downtime: Data corruption, Round 2

Postby jaydee0004 » Mon May 10, 2010 1:23 pm

nossr50 wrote:I lost my hearth fire
I'm guessing this is normal?
Kind of sucks because I put a lot of work into the area I claimed

me too. :'(
jaydee0004

Postby Granger » Mon May 10, 2010 1:57 pm

loftar wrote:
Granger wrote:Then put some of the donations into a SSD as main disk (to get throughput and IOPS to keep game server served), use LVM snapshots (or ZFS clones or whatever) to freeze a filesystem copy and then rsync it to a normal RAIDed volume for backup (using hardlinks against an old backup will offer multiple generations cheaply).

Well, true enough, there are ways around it. I haven't exerted any efforted for it, however, since I've mainly just kept a backup around for the utmost disaster of a hard drive failure, though. I hadn't expected XFS to regularly corrupt data on power failures. Reasonably, I guess I should switch back to ext3 instead (I used XFS on the new hard drive mainly for its ability to be extended on-line, and because I find it performs rather well).

Ever tried LVM + ext3 ?

Online resize:
> lvresize -L +<size>G /path/to/volume
> resize2fs /path/to/volume

Filesystem snapshots are also no problem (X howto).
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby loftar » Mon May 10, 2010 2:56 pm

Granger wrote:> resize2fs /path/to/volume

Resize2fs is nice, but the patch to allow it online is non-standard and only applied in a small set of distributions. Unfortunately, Debian isn't one of them.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Kurina » Mon May 10, 2010 3:44 pm

I just woke up due to calls of some friends wondering what happened, so please forgive me if I am repeating anything. I did try to read through the thread, but I am still waking up.

One thing that seems to be messed up with the data corruption/rollback is claim stakes, or mine at least. Our area was rolled back a great deal, with farms missing and a cabin with the entire inventory of it gone. I noticed our claim stake missing too, so I went to a friends village and ninja'd some dreams since he has a stockpile he is not using, and tried to reclaim our area to protect what little we had. It continues to tell me I cannot have more than one plot. I have only had two claim stakes (at two different points in time obviously) the entire life of my character (4 weeks), and the claim stake exists at neither one, and I am not allowed to place a new one down for safety.

So far though, that seems to be the only major thing missing/wrong that is not in the OP list. And not complaining, as this stuff is to be expected being in development, but if any idea on how to fix the claim bit or what I can do, that would be most welcome. It scares me knowing what kind of neighbors we have to leave the last of our possessions unprotected.
Kurina

Postby loftar » Mon May 10, 2010 4:17 pm

Kurina wrote:It continues to tell me I cannot have more than one plot.

That should be a rather small problem. Just use the Declaim option on the adventure menu.
loftar

Postby xakpc » Mon May 10, 2010 4:22 pm

Wow. Our village lost all cupboards. More than 30 cupboards just disappeared like.. i don't know. All supplies, all food, everything. We in baaaad situation now :?not relate

Hm.. new info, it is not related to data corruption. Anyway we lose all stuff now -_-
xakpc

Postby Kanshisha » Mon May 10, 2010 5:43 pm

How odd that while River Tree was affected NDR was not, and we sit in between River Tree Village and River Tree Lake, and as a side note the lake is still Lake Hydra. NDR still exists and is still going strong so the village of River Tree Lake is Encroaching on Lake Hydra.
Kanshisha

Postby Kurina » Mon May 10, 2010 5:53 pm

loftar wrote:
Kurina wrote:It continues to tell me I cannot have more than one plot.

That should be a rather small problem. Just use the Declaim option on the adventure menu.

Never realized there was a declaim button there lol. Obviously, still learning the game. :D Gave it a try and I can now reclaim the area, but declaiming didn't give any lp back like usual. Can earn that again though, just glad I can protect our area again.
Kurina

Postby Granger » Mon May 10, 2010 7:22 pm

loftar wrote:
Granger wrote:> resize2fs /path/to/volume

Resize2fs is nice, but the patch to allow it online is non-standard and only applied in a small set of distributions. Unfortunately, Debian isn't one of them.

There's a reason why i dropped using debian for servers some years ago.
Ever tried gentoo?
Last edited by Granger on Mon May 10, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby loftar » Mon May 10, 2010 7:53 pm

Granger wrote:Ever tried gentoo?

Yes, I used it exclusively up to a couple of years ago, when I dropped it for Debian. ;)
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements