Downtime: Data corruption, Round 2

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Downtime: Data corruption, Round 2

Postby loftar » Mon May 10, 2010 11:34 am

Hi y'all,

Yeah, it's that time of the year again. Jorb's place had a brown-out and associated server restart again, and the filesystem decided to take game data along with it. This is actually very, very unconvincing, and it seems I'll have to investigate if I can really continue using XFS as the filesystem for the game data.

So far, the following data has been found to be missing. I'll keep the list updated as I find out more.
  • Hearth secrets are gone and will have to be reentered.
  • Charter stones will have to be reactivated.
  • Map data is gone for the following areas of tiles (same coordinate system as last time):
  • (0, -6000) - (2000, -5000)
  • (7000, 7000) - (9000, 8000)
  • (7000, -7000) - (7000, -6000)
  • (8000, -10000) - (9000, -9000)
  • (-4000, -5000) - (-3000, -4000)
  • Five houses were internally damaged and rolled back to the backup. Some others may have been left unreachable due to broken references, but I don't quite know how many.
  • Village data for the following villages: Steve, Xanadu, Prontera, River Tree Valley, Whatever, River Tree Mine, ItsMine, Barukha, Ironwell, Silent Hill, Mine of Everlook, Crossroads, New Dragon Republic, ZoZo, Null, Tear, River Tree Lake, Farvilla, Mesopotamia, Stonefall, No minerals found and Alcom, and 4 other villages that didn't exist 4 days ago in the backup.
The in-game time was preserved this time, however, so there won't be a time jump the same way as last time. The backup I'll be restoring map data from is "only" 4 days old this time. I don't really know yet quite what it will mean to restore village data from backup. At least, the village membership list will be reset to that date, which means the people not part of the village then will have to be rejoined into the village. People who have left the village since or have been exiled should not be "rolled back into" the village, however.

The technical details, for anyone interested, is that I do the traditional procedure for atomic file replacement on Unix whenever I write out any data to disk; that is, I write the data to a new file, and then (once all data has been written successfully) I atomically replace the old file with the new one, with the rename(2) syscall. It seems that XFS' journalling is only keeping the file replacement intact, and not the file data, however (seeing how some files are empty). Ext3 did not have this problem. It might be that XFS only keeps journal of filesystem metadata and not file contents (but even then I'm quite surprised that they haven't made atomic renames work as expected).
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Re: Downtime: Data corruption, Round 2

Postby mohrus » Mon May 10, 2010 11:38 am

I wonder: why not invest into a UPS (=uninterruptible power supply)?
mohrus

Postby Illusion » Mon May 10, 2010 11:40 am

4 days..? That's almost my entire character progress.. any chance I could get a reimbursement on my lP if most of it is missing? I'll be honest and let you know if it's really bad or not.
Illusion

Postby Teme » Mon May 10, 2010 11:42 am

If using backup, would it hurt items in inventory etc.?
Plaah ~Image
Teme

Postby Dataslycer » Mon May 10, 2010 11:44 am

Character data and inventory are not affected. I also believe house interior are not affected either. Things otside are affected in tose grid. Can someone translate whch sector got 4 day rick rolled?
If you keep focusing on the shadow behind, you will not see the light in front of you.

Being successful isn't just about hard work and succeeding, it is also about picking yourself up when you fail.
Dataslycer

Postby Illusion » Mon May 10, 2010 11:47 am

Dataslycer wrote:Character data and inventory are not affected.

Thank God.. I really hoped my character progression wouldn't be for naught.
Illusion

Postby Amagineer » Mon May 10, 2010 11:47 am

Well, fuck that's 2 days longer than I started meaning that ALL of my paving/house building was for naught.

I suggest that Jorb get a UPS or somesuch.

EDIT: You there, above this post. Stop reading my mind and saying things the way I say them!
Amagineer

Postby Dataslycer » Mon May 10, 2010 11:49 am

Illusion wrote:

But if you were in the section listed then the terrain got rolled back by 4 days.
If you keep focusing on the shadow behind, you will not see the light in front of you.

Being successful isn't just about hard work and succeeding, it is also about picking yourself up when you fail.
Dataslycer

Postby Guurak » Mon May 10, 2010 11:50 am

mohrus wrote:I wonder: why not invest into a UPS (=uninterruptible power supply)?
Guurak

Postby Illusion » Mon May 10, 2010 11:53 am

Dataslycer wrote:
Illusion wrote:

But if you were in the section listed then the terrain got rolled back by 4 days.

I honestly don't know where I'm at in the world, and even then I left everything behind in search for a mine so I have nothing really to lose.
Illusion

Next

Return to Announcements