Downtime: Data corruption, Round 2

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Downtime: Data corruption, Round 2

Postby Amagineer » Mon May 10, 2010 11:58 am

Oh, wait. I think I read the coordinates wrong.... Perhaps I'm still fine.
~/\/eer
Amagineer

Postby loftar » Mon May 10, 2010 11:59 am

mohrus wrote:I wonder: why not invest into a UPS (=uninterruptible power supply)?

Because they cost more than I think we have donations to spare (though Jorb knows that better than I do).
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Pansy » Mon May 10, 2010 12:04 pm

And how much does an uninteruptible power supply cost including shipping and how short are you? Just curious....
Pansy

Postby Wipfmetz » Mon May 10, 2010 12:06 pm

The most recent backup was 4 days ago? What keeps you from having daily backups?
Wipfmetz

Postby Illusion » Mon May 10, 2010 12:09 pm

Wipfmetz wrote:The most recent backup was 4 days ago? What keeps you from having daily backups?

Probably just a really big hassle.
Illusion

Postby Gentley » Mon May 10, 2010 12:19 pm

Wipfmetz wrote:The most recent backup was 4 days ago? What keeps you from having daily backups?

Disk Space and technical issues, it might not be necessary to go offline to do a full backup, but it will take a serious amount of servercapacity to do the backup, which probably means baad lags for quite some time, each time a backup is done. More frequent backups, more lag, less diskspace. dunno what comes in first.
Gentley

Postby loftar » Mon May 10, 2010 12:21 pm

The only reason is really with I/O bandwidth. Taking a backup requires quite some of it, which makes the game laggy, and therefore I try to do the manually at times when the load is low. The "manually" part of course requires me to remember to do them also, which is the second part of the problem. :)
loftar

Postby Lothaudus » Mon May 10, 2010 12:22 pm

Gentley wrote:

Disk Space and technical issues, it might not be necessary to go offline to do a full backup, but it will take a serious amount of servercapacity to do the backup, which probably means baad lags for quite some time, each time a backup is done. More frequent backups, more lag, less diskspace. dunno what comes in first.

I'm not that up with my server shit but I'm pretty sure there are systems available that deal with this. Obviously it boils down to money though.

EDIT: In after post by loftar lawl.

loftar wrote:Map data is gone for the following areas of tiles (same coordinate system as last time

That really sucks that people in that area get hit again. Must be an active volcano in that grid or something that's causing all the damage.
Barry Fletcher Norwin
Lawspeaker of Crossroads - Leader of Codexia - Keeper of the Cheese
http://www.rpgcodex.net
Lothaudus

Postby LordOfTime » Mon May 10, 2010 12:25 pm

Pansy wrote:And how much does an uninteruptible power supply cost including shipping and how short are you? Just curious....

£219 from amazon + free shipping
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00154I7GE/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
If ignorance were bliss, then why aren't there more happy people in the world?
LordOfTime

Postby loftar » Mon May 10, 2010 12:29 pm

LordOfTime wrote:£219 from amazon

Wow, that's really quite cheap. I'll have to have Jorb chip in if the donations can afford that. Mind you the shipping is only free in the UK, though, and I think shipping of such a heavy thing may add a bit.
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements