Bugfix: Hidden objects

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Bugfix: Hidden objects

Postby loftar » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:47 am

I've finally implemented the feature I've dreaded for a year; it is now possible to interact with objects that are behind other objects.

I didn't want to disturb the possibility to hide casually behind other objects, so I made it work like this: If you move your player in behind an objects, so that it (your player) is obscured by that object, and stand still for half a second, all other objects that are wholly or partially obscured by the object obscuring your player will be drawn with yellow outlines, and at that point, you will also be able to click on them to interact with them normally.

I hope this fixes the problems with dropping bread behind ovens, buckets behind wells, and hiding hearth fires behind cabins. :)

I am a bit afraid that some of the hoops that I had to jump through to get here may have made performance worse, though. Please report anomalies in that regard.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Re: Bugfix: Hidden objects

Postby Malicus » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:56 am

Nice! First weirdness report, though... standing on a dropped object seems to make the outline go nuts.

Edit: Well, something small like a branch or a piece of clay, anyway.

Weirdness two: Lifting a log triggers the outline, which I suppose sort of makes sense... but it's kind of weird at the same time.
Malicus

Postby kobnach » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:09 am

Never mind performance, I'm getting haven errors, which i have reported.
kobnach

Postby loftar » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:10 am

kobnach wrote:Never mind performance, I'm getting haven errors, which i have reported.

Yes, I noticed. I believe myself to have fixed it now.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Malicus » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:12 am

Annoyance: a natural object (such as a rock or tree, or a bush in a forest) hidden behind another natural object is not revealed.
Malicus

Postby Rift » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:15 am

well guess that means the only way to protect hearth fires now is by cart-gate.
Good to finally be able to get at all that stuff that drops though.. i cant even imagine how much stuff i've lost behind stuff...
Rift

Postby kobnach » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:16 am

loftar wrote:I've finally implemented the feature I've dreaded for a year; it is now possible to interact with objects that are behind other objects.

I didn't want to disturb the possibility to hide casually behind other objects, so I made it work like this: If you move your player in behind an objects, so that it (your player) is obscured by that object, and stand still for half a second, all other objects that are wholly or partially obscured by the object obscuring your player will be drawn with yellow outlines, and at that point, you will also be able to click on them to interact with them normally.

I hope this fixes the problems with dropping bread behind ovens, buckets behind wells, and hiding hearth fires behind cabins. :)

I am a bit afraid that some of the hoops that I had to jump through to get here may have made performance worse, though. Please report anomalies in that regard.

Thank you. Once I knew what was going on, I took a guess at the "haven error" cause, and seemingly found a workaround. I'm now pulling objects from behind my cabin. Rather a lot of them, as it happens. Next stop, two neighbours I know have been heavily griefed.

[Edit - I guess I didn't find a workaround; you fixed it ;0 Thank you even more.]
kobnach

Postby Malicus » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:18 am

Yet another weirdness: combat "actions" (I dunno how else to refer to them) also get outlined if the thing you're fighting is positioned in such a way that it's already causing an outline.

Also, yay for the joy of being able to kill one of those dang sneaky deer that wandered behind a tree. =D
Malicus

Postby kobnach » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:21 am

Rift wrote:well guess that means the only way to protect hearth fires now is by cart-gate.
Good to finally be able to get at all that stuff that drops though.. i cant even imagine how much stuff i've lost behind stuff...

Hmm, I'm no expert on vaults, and would appreciate a tutorial on what now works and what doesn't - before I get robbed ;-)
kobnach

Postby kobnach » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:28 am

More weirdness - In a crowded camp, I find myself freezing and moving very jerkily, to the point where I feared the game had crashed.
kobnach

Next

Return to Announcements