Mini-feature: Multiple restarts

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Mini-feature: Multiple restarts

Postby loftar » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:54 pm

Many probably already noticed, but I added the ability to choose between several places to log in. You can now log in from:
* The Ring of Brodgar
* Your hearth fire, if you have one
* Your village's idol, if you're a member of one
* The last place you logged out, if you've logged out at least once since this update.

I'm a bit worried about that last one; I'm getting the feeling it could easily be misused for something, but I couldn't think of what. At least, it cannot be used in case something is blocking the spot where you'd log in (such as if someone has build something there). Then again, it's probably useful for long ventures if you have to interrupt your playing for whatever reason.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Re: Mini-feature: Multiple restarts

Postby Blaze » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:03 am

.... _
...( ((
....\ ='\
.___\_ -\
(____))( \----
(____)) _
(____))
(____))____/----
You see a masterful engraving by Blaze. On it is Blaze, bears, boars, and foxes. Blaze is striking down the bears. The boars are screaming. The foxes are in a fetal position. The image relates to the return of Blaze in the late winter of 2009.
Blaze

Postby Rift » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:06 am

Yay! I can start somewhere else now.. and finally i can get to the ROB without walking for 15 minutes!
I can't really think of a way of exploiting it atm either..

Oh.. you also changed bolded the damage / lp gain in battles... atleast all mine is bolded now.
Rift

Postby Blaze » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:08 am

Exploiting this is easier than you think :/
Hopefully, not many people will catch on.
You see a masterful engraving by Blaze. On it is Blaze, bears, boars, and foxes. Blaze is striking down the bears. The boars are screaming. The foxes are in a fetal position. The image relates to the return of Blaze in the late winter of 2009.
Blaze

Postby theTrav » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:29 am

I dislike this :(

1 - Permanently blocked hearth fires, why expose yourself to being summoned when you can just spawn at RoB or village Idol? Who needs a cart gate when your vault is IMPREGNABLE.
2 - Teleportation trade routes between a hunting outpost and the village.
Get an alt, add him to the village, build his hearth fire way out in the giant forest some where, all of a sudden you can magically whisk all your bear meat back to bottleneck without taking a long trip. Why bother walking and risking encounters with other players when you can just teleport?
theTrav

Postby RaptorJedi » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:34 am

Okay, there's a problem with this. If you have multiple characters and you click play through them all, then choose one without closing the others, they stay up even while you are in the game. You can't interact with them or anything, they're just there in the background.
Attachments
characterselectbug.PNG
characterselectbug.PNG (224.51 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
<Megagun> FOx
RaptorJedi

Postby loftar » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:57 am

RaptorJedi wrote:Okay, there's a problem with this. If you have multiple characters and you click play through them all, then choose one without closing the others, they stay up even while you are in the game. You can't interact with them or anything, they're just there in the background.

Yes, I noticed. I've fixed it in the code, and it will be effective the next time I restart the server. You managed to capture quite a funny effect of it there in the mine, though. :)

theTrav wrote:2 - Teleportation trade routes between a hunting outpost and the village.
Get an alt, add him to the village, build his hearth fire way out in the giant forest some where, all of a sudden you can magically whisk all your bear meat back to bottleneck without taking a long trip. Why bother walking and risking encounters with other players when you can just teleport?

Yes, that is true, but on the other hand it was kinda sorta true even before. We've been thinking of making it so that if you log out and then log in again before a certain time-out has passed, you can only log in at your last position. It has a few obvious problems, though, but maybe something like that could work.
theTrav wrote:1 - Permanently blocked hearth fires, why expose yourself to being summoned when you can just spawn at RoB or village Idol? Who needs a cart gate when your vault is IMPREGNABLE.

That is true, though. I'm not sure if it will actually be a problem, though; especially once object destruction has been implemented. We'll have to see about that.
loftar

Postby loftar » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:02 am

loftar wrote:
theTrav wrote:1 - Permanently blocked hearth fires, why expose yourself to being summoned when you can just spawn at RoB or village Idol? Who needs a cart gate when your vault is IMPREGNABLE.

That is true, though. I'm not sure if it will actually be a problem, though; especially once object destruction has been implemented. We'll have to see about that.

It is worth mentioning also, in regards to that, that force summoning can be done from a distance, and that arrows also currently pass through arbitrarily massive objects, so it still isn't entirely easy to really block of one's hearth fire.
loftar

Postby theTrav » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:07 am

loftar wrote:We've been thinking of making it so that if you log out and then log in again before a certain time-out has passed, you can only log in at your last position. It has a few obvious problems, though, but maybe something like that could work.

That seems like a pretty good solution. Any chance the server would be capable of doing a few distance -> time calculations so that the other options only appear if you've had enough time offline for your character to have walked there manually? Still some problems, but that'd probably prove enough discouragement to most players

loftar wrote: object destruction

WOOOOOOOOOOO!
I think that's the first indication I've seen that you're giving it serious thought. That makes me happy ^_^

loftar wrote:It is worth mentioning also, in regards to that, that force summoning can be done from a distance, and that arrows also currently pass through arbitrarily massive objects, so it still isn't entirely easy to really block of one's hearth fire.

For a given measure of easy it is... it costs a cabin or a mine entrance and a kiln or two.
theTrav

Postby Vanigo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:47 am

Hmm. I'm not getting the option to spawn at the village totem. I'm one of the Bottleneck hirdsmen, if that makes a difference.
Vanigo

Next

Return to Announcements