Game Development: Destruction & Sericulture

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Destruction & Sericulture

Postby loftar » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:01 pm

Please see the update in the original post.

Edit: Oh, and I also decreased the damage that large objects take from decay, to counteract their being hit more often.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby GamingBird » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:26 am

loftar wrote:Everything decays into nothing eventually, but the cart will become unpullable long before that, so you'll notice way in advance if you use the cart regularly. To be more precise, the cart has 250 hitpoints, loses 50 of those each time it decays naturally, and will be impossible to pull after it is below 200 hitpoints.

Objects stored in the cart are currently completely frozen, and nothing at all can happen to them.

To answer a few other things preemptively; the decay works such that the game periodically picks a random spot and applies "a decay" to that spot. If there's a decaying object there, it will take a certain amount of damage specific to that object. The decay cycle will, on average, hit the same tile about once each real-life week (objects smaller than a tile will, therefore, be hit more seldomly, and those larger will be hit more often).

If the decay hits a tree in its next-to-last growth stage, the tree will "decay" into its last growth stage.

In case you haven't already noticed, the normal container objects will also spread their contents on the ground when they break.

I've had lots of 'fencefires' decay in just the bast few days, as well as several straw baskets, with their contents also decayed into nothing. My method of making 'fox maze' entrances is now useless, as the maze loses enough fire lays within a RL day so that the foxes can just walk in.

With the slow growth of trees, since making a seedling takes around 8 RL hours and it dies if not planted in another 8 RL hours, making it very hard to work on making new timber if you have a RL day job, the sudden need for more log cabins to store things means this world will very quickly become deforested due to the massive lumber requirement.

I am now wondering if my log cabin will decay to nothing, along with all its contents, if I do not check in daily to do repairs. Hope the neighbors don't mind losing the apple trees I managed to plant over the past two weeks. Then again, they'll probably cut them down to fix their cabins before I can chop them down.
GamingBird

Postby trollfairy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:59 am

I'm afraid the objects right now decay a bit too fast.
Maybe it's not the point with the baskets, but beehives and herbalist tables are going down way to fast.
The decay has been here for a little more then an ingame week - and several of my well-built herbalist tables and beehives were falling apart.
I think it should takes several months outside for object to show some indication of decay.

Besides, at this rate the tree problem will be back again. The amount of boards a village will need to keep everything working for a rl week is insane, atm.
trollfairy

Postby kimya » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:46 am

yeah this decaying stuff in cool, but way too fast. when i thought of decay i always thought like, maybe after one ingame month or so, something would be damaged and after two it would be gone. think about it. if you live in the wilderness and you go on vacation, well. bye bye stuff. gotta build everything up again... especially things you build ike a kiln or herbalist tables... how on haven could they just decay SO FAST. its a frigging kiln!!! it has to withstand heat differences of hundreds of degrees every day! such a thing will take forever do decay!
same goes with the other stuff. please adjust it! make it at least 10 times slower... thanks

xxx
kimya
Last edited by kimya on Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
kimya

Postby kimya » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:47 am

/edit
wrong button...
kimya

Postby trollfairy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:35 am

Seems, that looms take one or two hits and become completely unusable.
Though the repair cost is low, they are quite big and get hit often.
trollfairy

Postby sami1337 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:59 pm

I think big objects like kilns should take a real life week to take damage and baskets days. It indeed is too fast.
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby loftar » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:10 pm

Yes, I have to agree; decay seems to be happening faster than I expected, generally. I'll have to look over the decay damages of various things. I suspect I might have exaggerated the damage that some things take.

That being said, however, some things really shouldn't be left outside -- the loom, which you mention, comes to mind as one of them. Others, off the top of my head, would include the anvil, coin press and the meat grinder, so you should probably put them indoors somewhere. When I adjust the decay damage, I'll try to produce a more complete list of objects which should be placed indoors.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby sami1337 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:33 pm

Wouldn't it make more sense to let things like baskets, looms, etc decay faster outside while anvils, grinders and such decay slow because they don't rot.
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby kimya » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:53 pm

yeah and kilns basically dont give a shit about wheather, water, heat, dryness. they just stand there. so do ovens.
kimya

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements