Game Development: Destruction & Sericulture

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Destruction & Sericulture

Postby jorb » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:06 am

We've been developing tonight, and here's what's new.

New Feature, Destroyable Objects: Objects placed in the outside world will now decay over time. Likewise they can be repaired. The object will inform you of what it needs for repairs. The destroy action under the adventure menu can now be used on... well... anything.

Except log cabins. We're working on those.

New Industry, Sericulture: Silkmoths are now spawned on grassland terrain (fairly rare). A male and a female moth in the same inventory will transform into eggs in a day's time. Eggs can be placed on the herbalist table where they will hatch into silkworms after one ingame day. Silkworms need to be fed mulberry leaves in order to grow. The worm checks the inventory it is in for a mulberry leaf once every 12 ingame hours. If the worm doesn't find a leaf it will look again 12 hours later. If the worm doesn't find a leaf the second time it will die. When the worm has eaten four leaves it turns into a cocoon. The cocoon can be unraveled into a silk filament using a cauldron. The cocoon turns into a moth after two ingame days.

Unraveling cocoons is influenced by the nature/industry slider: Full nature = two filaments/cocoon. Full industry = zero filaments/cocoon. Linear probability distribution over the scale.

Ten silk filaments can be spun into one silk thread. Ten silk threads can be woven into one silk cloth.

New Stuff: Cylinder Hat (Four leather, one silk cloth), Merchant's Robe (four silk cloth).

The ranger gear has also had it's costs updated to using silk instead of steel. Silk thread counts as "String", but I doubt you'd want to use it for that. ;)

Oh, and check the RoB for some new mulberry trees. Grassland is their favored habitat.

Enjoy. :)

EDIT: Due to a slight thinko on our part, silk thread will cost 10 units of filament and silk cloth 10 units of yarn, not five.

UPDATE: Object damage now shows as a slight red tint on damaged objects.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Destruction & Sericulture

Postby Blaze » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:10 am

Whee... Time for me to move out.

How does the nature/industry slider affect silkworms?
You see a masterful engraving by Blaze. On it is Blaze, bears, boars, and foxes. Blaze is striking down the bears. The boars are screaming. The foxes are in a fetal position. The image relates to the return of Blaze in the late winter of 2009.
Blaze

Postby jorb » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:12 am

Blaze wrote:How does the nature/industry slider affect silkworms?

There's no good point at which the nature/industry slider could affect the worms, so it doesn't.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby Peter » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:25 am

I think I must have caught the first silkworm- a male floating around a good ways south of RoB.
Man, they'r tough to catch!

I'm heading to bottleneck with him and a packfull of mullberries; anyone interested in some trade?
Surprise.
Peter

Postby Blaze » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:27 am

Dangit! I just finished scorching the place, and the server crashes!
You see a masterful engraving by Blaze. On it is Blaze, bears, boars, and foxes. Blaze is striking down the bears. The boars are screaming. The foxes are in a fetal position. The image relates to the return of Blaze in the late winter of 2009.
Blaze

Postby Malicus » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:31 am

Is there anything at all preventing somebody from running around and destroying everything in sight just to grief people? (Other than a skill requirement, which isn't a whole lot, and leaving scents, which I doubt such people care about...)
Malicus

Postby jorb » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:35 am

Malicus wrote:Is there anything at all preventing somebody from running around and destroying everything in sight just to grief people? (Other than a skill requirement, which isn't a whole lot, and leaving scents, which I doubt such people care about...)

The time it takes to remove an object is determined in part by your strength. At n00b strength it takes *quite* a while to remove anything better than a wicker basket. Hopefully this will make it inefficient and boring enough. Time will tell.

jorb

Postby provo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:08 am

I think it would be cool to get some of the construction resources back from destroying an object. So you could pull a house down and nearly rebuild it again. It would create some in game recycling, maybe junk yards..... Make scavenging abandoned places worth looting.

I also like the idea of slowly decay objects needing repair. It will encourage people to move industry indoors. Plus it’s a good resource sink.

I haven't tried the repair feature, i might not be skilled enough, but does it require extra resources to repair an object? Or do you just “fix” it using the materials already there?
provo

Postby JTG » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:31 am

Boy, The moths are really really really hard to find.

I want a damn tophat
Last edited by JTG on Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
JTG

Postby JTG » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:34 am

Also make stuff turn into a ruined state of decay, unusable but taking up space and giving little resources to create flavor for the game.
JTG

Next

Return to Announcements