UPS arrives! Thank You, Granger!

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

UPS arrives! Thank You, Granger!

Postby jorb » Wed May 19, 2010 7:50 pm

Friendly forumite Granger -- who, I am guessing, suffered a bit from the two brownouts we had a while back -- has been kind enough to send and donate a UPS to us. Today, me and loftar headed over to the local UPS, and picked it up.

And here we have it in all its glory, adorned, as is only right and proper, with a sock specifically selected for the purpose. We're trying it out on "The Jeff" (After Thomas Jefferson. Our development computer.) at the moment, but we hope to plug it in on the real server this Friday. While it might not allow the server to keep on ticking through a nuclear war, it will at least be quite enough to prevent damage from temporary dips in the power supply, and, pending some configuration and whatnot, it will hopefully allow the server to at least perform clean shutdowns in case of an extended power out.

We are, of course, equally grateful to everyone who has donated. Every little helps. It's quite a kick to know that the game we've spent so much time building has a small but dedicated little community around it. These UPS babies aren't, however, entirely cheap to buy retail -- it is easily the single biggest donation we've received thus far -- so a special thank you felt in order.

In short: Haven vs. Brownouts: 1 - 0 (Obviously we reset the scoreboard when we start winning)

Thank you, Granger. You rock, and have a cape coming your way. :)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: UPS arrives! Thank You, Granger!

Postby Thijssnl » Wed May 19, 2010 7:59 pm

Granger, I salute you!
Thijssnl

Postby Teme » Wed May 19, 2010 8:00 pm

Very cool! :)
Plaah ~Image
Teme

Postby Brickbreaker » Wed May 19, 2010 8:10 pm

jorb wrote:You rock, and have a cape coming your way. :)

:o lucky you!
Brickbreaker

Postby Coriander » Wed May 19, 2010 8:19 pm

Hot Damn.
Thank you Granger.
Oh. And just how did my missing sock make it all that way...
When the all cutting blade meets the uncuttable stone - at times, the blade is sharpened
Coriander

Postby Lightning2 » Wed May 19, 2010 8:54 pm

Why did you put a sock on top on it? :o and nice!
Lightning2

Postby Gaskin » Wed May 19, 2010 9:26 pm

Want another one :P? I have one. Somewhere...
Gaskin

Postby Granger » Thu May 20, 2010 12:34 am

jorb wrote:[...] who, I am guessing, suffered a bit from the two brownouts we had a while back [...]
Sorry to disappoint but i came through the crashes unharmed, they even gave me (since the game was down some time) a little part of my life back - ok, quite forcefully to be exact :D.

But even given the danger that downtimes might get fewer with it (thus smaller chances to be forced into normal life) I am happy that it finally arrived, and i hope it will spare you two future hazzles of your users flooding the forum with whining about rollbacks.

We're trying it out on "The Jeff" (After Thomas Jefferson. Our development computer.) at the moment, but we hope to plug it in on the real server this Friday. While it might not allow the server to keep on ticking through a nuclear war, it will at least be quite enough to prevent damage from temporary dips in the power supply, and, pending some configuration and whatnot, it will hopefully allow the server to at least perform clean shutdowns in case of an extended power out.
Please attach it to an apcupsd daemon using a serial cable (i sadly was unable to locate the one originally in the package, so you have come up with one yourself - i gave loftar a link to pinout for it, should be easy to make one) and test it under load (eg. a machine with r/o mounted, synced filesystems running prime95 and dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null to get consumption up) for how long the ups will last before the batteries being drained and system dies, then set shutdown timout to something short enough so server can shutdown the server proces and sync + unmount the filesystems.

It's quite a kick to know that the game we've spent so much time building has a small but dedicated little community around it.
I think i can say the following for all dedicated members: We're happy to be here.

These UPS babies aren't, however, entirely cheap to buy retail -- it is easily the single biggest donation we've received thus far -- so a special thank you felt in order.
Well, your little project made me suspend my EVE accounts (since your game is more fun) so in the end i already saved some € ;)

Gaskin wrote:Want another one :P? I have one. Somewhere...

An UPS or a sock?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby sabinati » Thu May 20, 2010 4:35 am

excellent!
sabinati

Postby Gaskin » Thu May 20, 2010 6:00 am

Granger wrote:
Gaskin wrote:Want another one :P? I have one. Somewhere...

An UPS or a sock?

An UPS
Gaskin

Next

Return to Announcements