Game Development: The Symbel

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: The Symbel

Postby Reeyfer » Sun May 23, 2010 6:13 am

Atherman wrote:
Reeyfer wrote:One more feature to make it easier for people to power level. Great. Now not only do you have boost your str and unarmed constantly to have a chance against a griefer (which you still won't have lol) but you've got to do a fucking feast every day too or you'll still be behind the no-lifers. Awesome-o.

I'd like to see a youtube of one of these super high UA guys irl trying to punch through a metal reinforced brick wall just so they could get an idea of WHY exactly the system makes no sense. Is there any hope of this game ever getting updates to make defense against high level griefer's possible, or do the devs just like to play raiders and that's why they're designing the game to artificially cater to that playstyle?

Maybe they are the spawn of Hercules. I wouldn't be too surprised to see heroes punching through walls if I was alive during the Greek Ages. If Hercules came over and destroyed my mansion in one blow, I'd just think "Tree Crusade"

Lol, except herc wasn't that strong from any story I've heard. No, the only way you can punch througha wall is magic or i guess some kind of really convoluted telekinesis (which is what you would call magic if you found out about it and studied it scientifically, because if its real you can't call it magic lol). You'd basically have to have some kind of kinetic shield on your hadn. Because if you're tough enough to punch thru a wall, you are too dense to move. No real way to get around that other than a magical sheath of kinetic energy with some kind of inertial dampener wrapped inside it to protect your hand :)

And jorb; bitching? Having a joke, maybe, but no, I'll give griefing a shot if that's what the game's about. I'm not saying that I don't see the fun in griefing itself, I see why people like it, I just don't usually like it being the whole game. But I'll give it a whirl anyway because other than the combat part this is a pretty great game for the stage its at.
Reeyfer

Postby Lahrmid » Sun May 23, 2010 6:15 am

Just put on your straw hat and slap those griefers with a Quality 75 carrot!
Lahrmid

Postby sabinati » Sun May 23, 2010 6:16 am

Reeyfer wrote:
jorb wrote:
Reeyfer wrote:Ouäh! :(

Nah, you can forget about defenses. We hate you and like to see you bleed. Plus, our undead souls thrive on the cosmic energies of total anarchy. :)

Yeah, I pretty much figured you guys just liked that playstyle. Guess I can't really blame you for makin' your game to cater to you.

So guess its time to start training to become a griefer or legit raider if thats all the game's ever gonna be about. Just before I got into it I read a bunch of posts about historical accuracy or some shit but it must have been people misquoting since pretty much any time in the medieval era a good wall was impenetrable without a cannon and high quality armor made the weaponry of the time like nerf toys. So I figured eventually it was going tor each at least some sort of balance where people who punched brick walls got broken hands like they deserve and armor and defenses actually do something. You know, like a person has to actually have friends to get together with him, siege equipment and such, to take out a town that tons of people put tons of time into building. But if its gonna be the other way around, where the only real course is to become supersaiyan goku and drop fist bombs on everything, then I guess its time to look into that. Of course the combat so far looks pretty retarted dull but maybe it won't be at some point - if combat's the only real "right" path and construction and building up is the only actual fun part of the game that doesn't make a lot of sense in the long run :) tho i guess its always fun to just pound on someone by clicking a mouse key because you trained your character way higher than them with endless hours of wasted life, but teh leadup isn't so great.

Anyway, time to reevaluate this game i guess. good luck with your self gratification :P

hurr durr it's an alpha
sabinati

Postby Squidgy » Sun May 23, 2010 6:23 am

You should get extra FEPs when you feast after killing an enemy.

Better yet, you should be able to feast on your dead rivals. yum!
Squidgy

Postby Resture » Sun May 23, 2010 6:23 am

Awesome update. Thank you.

Reeyfer. Shut the fuck up. You sound like a douche.
Resture

Postby Reeyfer » Sun May 23, 2010 6:26 am

? I mean I guess he could have been joking but it seemed to me like he's saying that the balance is the way it is because that's how they want it. There's no bug making it so that the only useful type of combat for high level is unarmed, its simply the way the damage system is made - weapons do less damage than your fists unless you're weak. There's no bug making defenses useless, they're just made weak or with no thought for the fact that there would be people who'd grind however long necessary to be able to take on the defenses one man if it allowed them to avoid making friends. But if that's the way they want it thats their choice, this is a personal project and not a professional one - that was my mistake in thinking of it as something professional where you'd want to come up with a logical balance, but its their game on their budget and i don't htink they've said anything different. So if thats what they want to do then that's cool, I'll give their style of play a shot and this game will be good entertainment at least until one of the other good looking sandbox mmos comes out. ANd who knows, mebbe i'll grind up high enough and get my cape and spandex and have a lot of fun one-hitting walls and never bothering to make any resources that i could steal from another :lol: It does have its charms.
Reeyfer

Postby Resture » Sun May 23, 2010 6:38 am

Reeyfer wrote:? I mean I guess he could have been joking but it seemed to me like he's saying that the balance is the way it is because that's how they want it. There's no bug making it so that the only useful type of combat for high level is unarmed, its simply the way the damage system is made - weapons do less damage than your fists unless you're weak. There's no bug making defenses useless, they're just made weak or with no thought for the fact that there would be people who'd grind however long necessary to be able to take on the defenses one man if it allowed them to avoid making friends. But if that's the way they want it thats their choice, this is a personal project and not a professional one - that was my mistake in thinking of it as something professional where you'd want to come up with a logical balance, but its their game on their budget and i don't htink they've said anything different. So if thats what they want to do then that's cool, I'll give their style of play a shot and this game will be good entertainment at least until one of the other good looking sandbox mmos comes out. ANd who knows, mebbe i'll grind up high enough and get my cape and spandex and have a lot of fun one-hitting walls and never bothering to make any resources that i could steal from another :lol: It does have its charms.

/\ retard
|
Resture

Postby DatOneGuy » Sun May 23, 2010 6:40 am

Reeyfer wrote:? I mean I guess he could have been joking but it seemed to me like he's saying that the balance is the way it is because that's how they want it. There's no bug making it so that the only useful type of combat for high level is unarmed, its simply the way the damage system is made - weapons do less damage than your fists unless you're weak. There's no bug making defenses useless, they're just made weak or with no thought for the fact that there would be people who'd grind however long necessary to be able to take on the defenses one man if it allowed them to avoid making friends. But if that's the way they want it thats their choice, this is a personal project and not a professional one - that was my mistake in thinking of it as something professional where you'd want to come up with a logical balance, but its their game on their budget and i don't htink they've said anything different. So if thats what they want to do then that's cool, I'll give their style of play a shot and this game will be good entertainment at least until one of the other good looking sandbox mmos comes out. ANd who knows, mebbe i'll grind up high enough and get my cape and spandex and have a lot of fun one-hitting walls and never bothering to make any resources that i could steal from another :lol: It does have its charms.

It seemed pretty obvious that it was a joke.

Detecting sarcasm on the internet isn't that hard.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Hi. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
DatOneGuy

Postby Lightning4 » Sun May 23, 2010 6:42 am

Looks like the FEP cap reduction for eating was removed as well. Probably intended given this change.
Lightning4

Postby chromedolly » Sun May 23, 2010 6:43 am

]]]]]]]]]]]]]
chromedolly

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements