Game Development: The Symbel

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: The Symbel

Postby Nobody » Mon May 24, 2010 11:43 am

Great update, i was waiting for those tables appropriate for my tavern, but whatever.

I just wonder why we are able to craft metal plates/goblets/cutlery with bare hands. I think it should require anvil and hammer, am i right?
Nobody

Postby Haba » Mon May 24, 2010 11:43 am

Pacho wrote:I should start playing again sometime >.>

Yes, your sheep miss you. I try to keep them company, but they whisper your name at nights :(
Haba

Postby Granger » Mon May 24, 2010 11:53 am

After having quickly build some stuff and a short dinner with a friend:
The setting is nice, the fire warms and the amount of food showeled in is insane (nearly 3 full table loads in one sitting).

Farmers, hunters and fisherman will now have to pull off overhours to again gather huge piles of all types of consumeables.

Forcing hunger through digging paved ground isn't a thing of the past though, it is (provided enough food is available) more effective than ever.
So while the str cheese+sausage eater would have to constantly jump through the same hoops as before to get rid of overstuffing, he'll have to do it more seldom now (compared to the amount of FEP gained).

Maybe just let people become fat and clumsy (reducing stats linked to body fitness, like combat) when eating to much?
An oversized cook might have no problem, but a warrior needing an XXXXXXXXL armor could get some swingin his axe... ;)

Another issue i have is with the number of used tables giving bonus: while it makes sense in some way (benefit of bigger conventions fits the setting) i suspect this might be gamed in one way or another. It gives disproportional advantage to a village over hermits, up to the point where the hermit can go out to gather 10 string for a rope and then pick a nice tree (suicide is the only reasonable form of self-criticism) because since he's eating alone he'll be put back even more.

Also the job of serving food to people busy suffing their bellies should give some benefit (to make it meaningful to work as a waiter), without it's most likely to be self-service forever. No idea how to design it in a way that can't be exploited (endless gains or possibility to move experience from one char to another) though.

What is for sure that with feasting the bigger groups will gain more speed (because of being able not only be able to provide more diverse food, but morel ikely also higher item and group bonus).

LoftJogb hinted somwhere that they might think about nerfing base FEP of food, not sure if that is a solution to this.

Bottom line: i like it that it turned food from shit, where do i store that now! as it was after the hunger change to where do i get more? - without the downside of constant starving (so you get some work done if you want), and it looks amazing.

Nice work guys!
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Randozart » Mon May 24, 2010 1:22 pm

Finally, a reason to be called for dinner by our village chef! Get the fire ready 'cause we're feasting all night!
Randozart

Postby arriel » Mon May 24, 2010 1:26 pm

How long does the fire burn?
arriel

Postby Haba » Mon May 24, 2010 1:50 pm

Granger wrote:Also the job of serving food to people busy suffing their bellies should give some benefit (to make it meaningful to work as a waiter), without it's most likely to be self-service forever. No idea how to design it in a way that can't be exploited (endless gains or possibility to move experience from one char to another) though.

- They can wear an appron (takes all normal cloth slots)
- They get LP every time someone gropes them
- Every time they are harassed, the build rage points
- Once rage meter is full, they can instantly KO any of the feasters
Haba

Postby martinuzz » Mon May 24, 2010 1:53 pm

I made a q10 silver pearl drinking cup.
COsts 1 silver bar and 8 pearls.

It decayed from q10 to q8 after eating 3 full loads from the table.
Waste of pearls and silver IMO.

One could use higher quality pearls, so it takes longer for it to fully decay, but I think that's even more of a waste. Better make pearl jewelry from that.
martinuzz

Postby DatOneGuy » Mon May 24, 2010 2:02 pm

martinuzz wrote:I made a q10 silver pearl drinking cup.
COsts 1 silver bar and 8 pearls.

It decayed from q10 to q8 after eating 3 full loads from the table.
Waste of pearls and silver IMO.

One could use higher quality pearls, so it takes longer for it to fully decay, but I think that's even more of a waste. Better make pearl jewelry from that.

I suppose it depends on how much you have to spare. A lot of them are luxury items of sorts since you could probably make much better silver forks than the silver pearl ones, however if you just happened to have a lot of extra pearls about, it might be worth it depending on the bonus it gives over the silver.

Although you could just trade off those pearls since they're decently valuable as is.

Paying a lot for silverware unless it's of a very high quality seems useless at this point.

For example if I traded someone for gold nuggets for a dinnerware just to turn around and make q20 stuff with it, it's useless. However if I got q100+ out of it, it would last quite some time and I'd get the full use out of it.

The fact that quality raises how much of a bonus you get (pretty sure based on wiki numbers anyway...), and lasts a lot longer people who can craft them will be in very high demand even if just for the service.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Hi. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
DatOneGuy

Postby burgingham » Mon May 24, 2010 4:02 pm

RaptorJedi wrote:Any plans to add a Mead Hall to go with this, that provdes more of a bonus when feasting inside it?
burgingham

Postby DarkhVorTeX » Mon May 24, 2010 8:06 pm

theTrav wrote:Is there anything to discourage the thousand alts of eternal starving table sitting?

This snippet from the main chat comes to mind:
#haven wrote:[11:16:01] < Wipfmetz> Bread is good for mining alts
[11:16:42] < Thurrok> you feed them BREAD? poor bastards.
[11:17:16] < Wipfmetz> funnily, they have to pass a cheese rack whenever they enter the mine
[11:17:39] < Wipfmetz> so she lives from tea, water and bread, while my main stands next to her eating cheese and drinking wine
[11:17:55] < Wipfmetz> EVERBODY HAS THEIR PLACE IN THIS WORLD
[11:18:07] < Thurrok> alt torture should be punishable by death

Oh, and also...
Granger wrote:Also the job of serving food to people busy suffing their bellies should give some benefit (to make it meaningful to work as a waiter), without it's most likely to be self-service forever. No idea how to design it in a way that can't be exploited (endless gains or possibility to move experience from one char to another) though.

YES! I FINALLY GET TO ACHIEVE MY DREAM OF BEING THE BEST IRON CHEF OF H&H!! I'll start a 5-star restaurant in Constantinople immediately!
*starts packing the wagon for the 25km journey*

(Hiring waiters and high quality food suppliers if I ever reach Constantinople)
DarkhVorTeX

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements