Game Development: Walls and Wine

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Walls and Wine

Postby JTG » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:16 am

Also where could I find the beach tiles. I imagined they would be the shoreline for water yet I couldn't find any along water sources.
JTG

Postby Blaze » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am

Note on building walls:

1. Don't use ridges to block horizontal sides, there'll be an open spot you can't extend to, vertical sides will work.
2. Only the starting cornerpost is expensive, so don't skimp on other cornerposts.
3. When building a gate, place a cornerpost on one end, extend two wall tiles to the other end, build a "cheap" cornerpost, then demolish the 2 walls and replace with a gate.
You see a masterful engraving by Blaze. On it is Blaze, bears, boars, and foxes. Blaze is striking down the bears. The boars are screaming. The foxes are in a fetal position. The image relates to the return of Blaze in the late winter of 2009.
Blaze

Postby jorb » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:23 am

Blaze wrote:then demolish the 2 walls and replace with a gate.

Easy for you to say. ;)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Malicus » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:26 am

Blaze wrote:1. Don't use ridges to block horizontal sides, there'll be an open spot you can't extend to, vertical sides will work.

What, exactly, do you mean by this? Which way is the wall running, and which way is the ridge running? Is this with a wall running N/S and a ridge running E/W, or... what?
Malicus

Postby Blaze » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:33 am

Malicus wrote:What, exactly, do you mean by this? Which way is the wall running, and which way is the ridge running? Is this with a wall running N/S and a ridge running E/W, or... what?

If the bridge is running parallel E/W of your wall, it can block the spaces directly north/south of it. But if the wall is running perpendicular to the ridge, (Ridge is going N/S and fence is going E/W), then there'll be a small space that someone can squeeze through.
You see a masterful engraving by Blaze. On it is Blaze, bears, boars, and foxes. Blaze is striking down the bears. The boars are screaming. The foxes are in a fetal position. The image relates to the return of Blaze in the late winter of 2009.
Blaze

Postby Malicus » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:35 am

Your explanation leaves much to be desired. Let me rephrase it. My wall is running north to south. The ridge is running east to west. Is there a problem, and if so, where?
Malicus

Postby loftar » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:40 am

Malicus wrote:Your explanation leaves much to be desired. Let me rephrase it. My wall is running north to south. The ridge is running east to west. Is there a problem, and if so, where?

Well, Blaze's explanations aside, it would be easy for you to test; just put out the construction sign for the cornerpost, put one piece of material in it and see if you can walk by it.

It should be noted, by the way, that the initial cornerposts don't have to be tiled -- you can place them out-of-tile as always by holding down shift. Since all further building extends from it, everything will still match up. Of course, if you plan to build more than one initial cornerpost to start from, you'll probably want to tile them.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Malicus » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:41 am

That's what I'd been trying, and I hadn't noticed any problems, but since Blaze mentioned it, I was a bit worried.

Also, did the server just crash?
Malicus

Postby JTG » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:42 am

yep
JTG

Postby theTrav » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:48 am

Ouch.

just lost:
1 steel,
1 breast plate,