Game Development: Walls and Wine

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Walls and Wine

Postby sami1337 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:10 pm

Eh, 10 wrought to start. The ending corner stone costs 5 unless you built the gate first.
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby Winter » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:38 pm

sami1337 wrote:Eh, 10 wrought to start. The ending corner stone costs 5 unless you built the gate first.

Gate in the middle of a wall, not a corner. = 2 cornerstones(5 Wrought each) and the gate(5 steel)

Though I guess thats assuming you're capable of tearing part of the wall down.

Gate total = 10 wrought and 5 steel.

Fine I'll take this out T.T
Last edited by Winter on Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winter

Postby sami1337 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:50 pm

edit that griefer thing out and pm it to loftar or something..jesus.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
sami1337

Postby kobnach » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:20 pm

Blaze wrote:Maybe a visual aid will help for ridge-wall building?

I'm still confused. Is the happy/upset person in the image the wall owner, or some random griefer?
kobnach

Postby kobnach » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:32 pm

Blaze wrote:
Malicus wrote:What, exactly, do you mean by this? Which way is the wall running, and which way is the ridge running? Is this with a wall running N/S and a ridge running E/W, or... what?

If the bridge is running parallel E/W of your wall, it can block the spaces directly north/south of it. But if the wall is running perpendicular to the ridge, (Ridge is going N/S and fence is going E/W), then there'll be a small space that someone can squeeze through.

I am going to try it with fences, and hope the result is the same as palisades and brick walls. Meanwhile it seems to me there are several possible combinations.

Note by the way that when I say "East-West" I mean horizontal on mini-map, diagonal with left side higher on play screen. When I say "North-South", I mean vertical on mini-map, diagonal with left side lower on play screen.

1) Ridge and wall both go east west, one square of overlap. I believe from what Blaze posted that this works. Works with fence, and having done it, I realize it's the same as case 5 below.

-------wall---
---ridge----

2) Ridge north-south. Wall East west, abuts into ridge. Blaze's pictures suggest to me this does not work. With fences, I could get a tight seal with shift placement, but not with normal placement, and heavens knows what would happen if the other end were anchored on another ridge. This does work without shift placement if you do this as you are approaching a corner of the ridge - where that north-south wall begins to curve so as to turn east-west. (I tested on a ridge with a north-west corner, building on the west (outer) side.)

|
r
i----wall---
d
g
e
|

3) ridge north south. wall east-west, ridge runs into wall. Did not have a
suitable spot to test this.
---wall---
|
r
i
d
g
e
|

4) ridge north-south, wall north-south, overlap (as (1)). This did work with fences, if building into a ridge-corner.

|
r
i
d
g
e
|
||
w
a
l
l
|

5) Ridge east-west, wall north-south, wall abuts into ridge. Works with fences.

-----ridge----
|
w
a
l
l
|
|

6) Ridge east-west, wall north-south, ridge runs into wall

w
-----ridge---- a
l
l

7) any of the above with shift placement.

My question, of course, is which of these block people from entering?

[Edit - added results of tests conducted with cheap fences. Now realize I'm just repeating what Blaze said, but needed to try it to understand.]

[Edit - I see some of the pictures were "fixed" by the software, which does not display leading spaces. ]
Last edited by kobnach on Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kobnach

Postby Malicus » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:43 pm

I think you also need to take into account which way the ridge is facing.
Malicus

Postby sami1337 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:01 pm

I don't think shift placing a wall is smart. Only if you manage to exactly get the coordinates right. Imo Loftar needs to re-check the collision because it seems off on walls and palisades. Plus the main problem are the ridges.

I tried palisades on a ridge (in a T shape, horizontal being palisade) and it doesn't work.

sami1337

Postby loftar » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:14 am

sami1337 wrote:Imo Loftar needs to re-check the collision because it seems off on walls and palisades.

How, exactly, does it seem off? I haven't noticed anything.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Laremere » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:53 am

Well, even if their collision isn't off, ridges can be a real pain. We decided to just build around the ridge that would normally be perfectly fine for defense, instead of spending as much work trying to figure out a perfect seal. I think with the next map wipe should come with better to work with ridges.
Laremere

Postby Raephire » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:41 am

loftar wrote:
sami1337 wrote:Imo Loftar needs to re-check the collision because it seems off on walls and palisades.

How, exactly, does it seem off? I haven't noticed anything.

Working with ridges and the grid in the Isometric view can be difficult. It requires a great deal of guesswork. Personally I think it's part of the fun, others may not agree. Creating a popup grid of where things can be placed during construction could be a wise practice. Or make make buildable objects show up red or with a giant X over them if they cant be placed where you hold them over.

Would save everyone time. But this this on the lower spectrum of things needed to be done.
Raephire

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements