Game Development: Clay & Some fixes

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Clay & Some fixes

Postby kasheglot » Sun May 30, 2010 12:42 pm

Koya wrote:I can see it... come to claim... build village near... nuke walls :) Who need a ram :)

Correct me if I'm wrong. You can even remove someone's claim using village claim. Still this nuke option could be available only with full authority.

BTW! Is it a BUG or it is intended I cannot place gray clay into the kiln?
kasheglot

Postby exewu » Sun May 30, 2010 1:12 pm

Subwayy wrote:You now deal sqrt(str) damage when demolishing. Brick walls have soak 70, and palisades have soak 45

2200+ STR for Palisade?

7000+ Str for Brickwall?

Am I doing this wrong wtf?

Solve for x:

brick:
sqrt(x)=70
x=70^2
x=4900

and the palisade one:
sqrt(x)=45
x=45^2
x=2025

with a ram that would mean (assuming it adds 20 damage?)
brick:
sqrt(x)*4+20=70
sqrt(x)=50/4
x=156

and for palisades:
sqrt(x)*4+20=45
sqrt(x)=25/4
x=39

Brick seems to be okay, I can live with it being unbreakable without a ram, building a brick wall is stupidly time consuming anyway so it should be worth it. Palisades seem a bit too powerful if you ask me vOv. There's not much insentive to build a brick wall over a wooden one now, other than the repairing issues. Nice update!
exewu

Postby jorb » Sun May 30, 2010 1:23 pm

Koya wrote:I can see it... come to claim... build village near... nuke walls :) Who need a ram :)

This is precisely the problem. I will at some point have a brick wall around my current encampment, but what good will that do me (playing solo) if any bunch of idiots can just throw up a village and nuke one section of it?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Potjeh » Sun May 30, 2010 1:24 pm

I think the ideal solution is to ignore soak when you're destroying something on a land where you have vandalism permission. Yes, that means that unclaimed brick walls would be destroyable by a brand new characters. So what? You shouldn't have unclaimed walls anyway, and it's the final solution to griefwalling of any kind. Personal claim overrides village claim right now, so you couldn't drop villages on people to destroy their walls. Jumping over the walls via village still needs to be resolved, BTW.

As for actual new content in this update, it does nothing for me. Not a single useful new craft.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Avu » Sun May 30, 2010 1:35 pm

Fuck content gimme balance and interface updates all the time!
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby DatOneGuy » Sun May 30, 2010 1:37 pm

Potjeh wrote:I think the ideal solution is to ignore soak when you're destroying something on a land where you have vandalism permission. Yes, that means that unclaimed brick walls would be destroyable by a brand new characters. So what? You shouldn't have unclaimed walls anyway, and it's the final solution to griefwalling of any kind. Personal claim overrides village claim right now, so you couldn't drop villages on people to destroy their walls. Jumping over the walls via village still needs to be resolved, BTW.

As for actual new content in this update, it does nothing for me. Not a single useful new craft.

But you can revoke their claim, eh?

Man that would be super nice though, having to have 600 STR to break a brickwall (even with a RAM we don't have 4 people with combined str that high) is very annoying if you don't have anyone specializiing in battle yet. :(

EDIT: It's nice to see that palisades only require 39 per person sure that's not bad (more than needed before though), but bricks are now even worse needing 624 total :(. And that's not to get 'past' the soak, that's to match the soak.

I guess I better not mess up.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Hi. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
DatOneGuy

Postby Potjeh » Sun May 30, 2010 1:46 pm

Yeah, but it takes time to gather authority to revoke a claim. If it's a big one, you'll also need to build flags.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby exewu » Sun May 30, 2010 1:50 pm

156 per person really isn't that hard to reach if you have some decent quality hunting stuff. All it takes is about 50 base strength and a Q50-80 bear tooth/cape. And full barbarism of course. You could even throw in some wine and you probably don't even need more than 10 base strength.

The real question is, why are you building brick walls :lol:

But I'm with avu on this one, fixing some scaling issues and long standing macro possibilities is great. I don't mind going a few weeks without actual content updates if you guys keep fixing broken stuff :3
exewu

Postby KillerofLawyers » Sun May 30, 2010 3:13 pm

jorb wrote:

This is precisely the problem. I will at some point have a brick wall around my current encampment, but what good will that do me (playing solo) if any bunch of idiots can just throw up a village and nuke one section of it?

Make it so first they have to nuke your claim. Possibly make it so land ownership acts like a village in and of itself if one doesn't have allegiance to a particular village?
KillerofLawyers

Postby Peter » Sun May 30, 2010 5:07 pm

So, you expect someone to get five friends up to lawspeaking and all the other skills needed to found a village, build the idol and all the village ritual stuff, rather than build a ram?
Surprise.
Peter

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements