Game Development: Clay & Some fixes

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Clay & Some fixes

Postby sabinati » Sun May 30, 2010 6:14 am

loftar wrote:
Avu wrote:seem bone clay formula is (bone ash average+ 2* cave clay + 2*feldspar )/5 (needs testing)

Actually, for now the cave clay quality doesn't count at all, precisely because it's always q10. That will be changed once there is a quality scalar field in the caves. Other than that, I think it's about right.

sabinati wrote:does that apply to everything or just for making bone ash?

Actually, it applies for everything but making bone ash. :)

so i could make an arrow (or a saw?) out of a bear tooth? but i couldn't make bone ash out of anything but bone?
sabinati

Postby sabinati » Sun May 30, 2010 6:15 am

Peter wrote:Um, why are we getting a small collection of... different clay colors? And a rock?

Do they even look different when you use them for stuff?

I guess that this is slightly better for industry folks. Now they get the chance to make something to trade other than all the fantastically valuable metal goods.

have you looked at the new craftables for the symbel?
sabinati

Postby DatOneGuy » Sun May 30, 2010 6:44 am

I love this update, my only real gripe is the bone clay formula, however I might have misconstrued it's use. I assumed that it would be a way to gradually (slowly but surely) increase the quality of your clay if you have enough time and a LOT of high quality bones.

If the formula was a normal formula
BA = Bone Ash ; C = Cave Clay ; F = Feldspar

( [BA1+BA2+BA3+BA4+BA5]+C+F )/7
It could be used as I (and a few others) assumed it was intended. However the formula is very different and favors the Feldspar (Back to finding hq soil spots) and Cave Clay (Although not at the moment but eventually?), thus making it really useful only for plates, as opposed to the assumed 'superior clay/brick'.

Just wondering if there's a reason that Bone Clay was taken in this direction instead of the other. :p
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Hi. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
DatOneGuy

Postby Peter » Sun May 30, 2010 6:57 am

Oh good, our mighty warriors and frontiersmen will now have EVEN PRETTIER tableware available for our tea parties.

Absolutely
fan.
tas.
tic.

EDIT:
Not to say that this is a bad update, but perhaps it's not the highest-priority one?
Maybe something addressing the fact that it's impossible to play the game well without investing, conservatively, 25% of one's waking life?
Perhaps some way of removing the universal bottleneck of perception/exploration such that it's possible to bootstrap yourself from nothing (Seeing as you need perception to get seeds and all the basic tool plants such as rustroot, and need to grow plants to get it)?
Or maybe approach some of the hard engine-related stuff that will enable true moving platforms for boats and overpasses like bridges?
Or, I don't know, tinker with the lazy item system so that every item actually knows what it is rather than the roundabout way it appears to work now?
Oh, or even just fixing text rendering so that we can have line breaks on parchment and stone carvings.
But yeah, fancy plates are OK too.
Surprise.
Peter

Postby Resture » Sun May 30, 2010 7:08 am

Battering Rams are now needs for palisades... Fucking awesome.
Thanks for the update!
You guys are making the game more and more perfect every update.
Resture

Postby DatOneGuy » Sun May 30, 2010 7:18 am

Peter wrote:EDIT:
Not to say that this is a bad update, but perhaps it's not the highest-priority one?
Maybe something addressing the fact that it's impossible to play the game well without investing, conservatively, 25% of one's waking life?
Perhaps some way of removing the universal bottleneck of perception/exploration such that it's possible to bootstrap yourself from nothing (Seeing as you need perception to get seeds and all the basic tool plants such as rustroot, and need to grow plants to get it)?
Or maybe approach some of the hard engine-related stuff that will enable true moving platforms for boats and overpasses like bridges?
Or, I don't know, tinker with the lazy item system so that every item actually knows what it is rather than the roundabout way it appears to work now?
Oh, or even just fixing text rendering so that we can have line breaks on parchment and stone carvings.
But yeah, fancy plates are OK too.

I'm not so sure about that 25% deal, yes there's a noticeable difference between someone who does play a lot versus those who don't, but it's not 'necessary' to spend that, you can play any game in your free time alone, however don't expect to get less from that 'freetime playing' maybe an hour a day than the person who plays 12 hours a day.

What's your point about the seeds? WWW are pretty low on the tier of things to see, and really a standard way for a person to easily get the basics he needs and learn about the game is to start out
  • Make some fires until you have 200 LP (not too bad) but this is the 'grindy' turn you off part
  • Get Lumberjacking, cut many logs off of trees (Should have at least 400 LP by then)
  • Get Carpentry and Hunting
  • Get a bone from a rabbit/chicken, make a bone saw, make a wooden plow and start setting up your area
  • Get Masonry (Should have enough LP at this point, if not get more logs, you'll need more)
  • Lay the stone foundation for your house, build your house.
  • Building your house should net you a nice amount of LP perhaps enough to get Foraging, Plant Lore, Farming. If it's not, make another house, or make things you'll need/want (Table, Cupboards)
  • Keep stacking points into Exploration until you have 8~15 and start looking about.
  • Drying Frames to dry a bunch of WWW (40~ should do it ; 10 frames)
I mean really if you think it out and play it out right it's not hard. I think the biggest problem is misinformation. If there was no information they'd be forced to test it out and come up with stuff, but misinformaiton literally hurts, I mean look at the wiki right now:
harvesting fields of other players (need farming skill). If this is done, seeds should be replanted.
Why is this listed as a good way of gaining LP? This is surely a good way of getting killed/expelled from a group given how you could ruin someone's whole farm this way.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Hi. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
DatOneGuy

Postby Sarge » Sun May 30, 2010 9:45 am

On face value, nice updates, will test a little.
factnfiction101 wrote:^I agree with this guy.
Sarge

Postby Lothaudus » Sun May 30, 2010 11:33 am

Subwayy wrote:You now deal sqrt(str) damage when demolishing. Brick walls have soak 70, and palisades have soak 45

2200+ STR for Palisade?

7000+ Str for Brickwall?

Am I doing this wrong wtf?

Woww...+7000 Str is retardly stupid, just saying.

Retarded? You're joking right? Suddenly walls became useful again and daily Ram scouting a worthwhile ongoing endeavour. Much better than the "really strong guy who rocks up at your door one day and starts smashing through the brick wall with his bare hands and five minutes later is raping your villagers" scenario.

I only hope the soak of buildings has also been increased, so you need a ram to break down Stone Mansions / Houses as well.

springyb wrote:Can you make it so villages can remove their own walls with authority then?

This. Can Lawspeakers have some kind of magic "nuke" cursor we can use to delete anything on the village claim by expending authority? I've got a Pallisade that I'm in "I'll just wait until that decays" mode for and it's down-right depressing seeing all that red and waiting for it to slowly waste away.
Barry Fletcher Norwin
Lawspeaker of Crossroads - Leader of Codexia - Keeper of the Cheese
http://www.rpgcodex.net
Lothaudus

Postby kasheglot » Sun May 30, 2010 11:57 am

Lothaudus wrote:
springyb wrote:Can you make it so villages can remove their own walls with authority then?

This. Can Lawspeakers have some kind of magic "nuke" cursor we can use to delete anything on the village claim by expending authority? I've got a Pallisade that I'm in "I'll just wait until that decays" mode for and it's down-right depressing seeing all that red and waiting for it to slowly waste away.

Agree.

Another implementation: some sort of acid(?) which dramatically increases the decay speed. It's a vandalism crime if you're not allowed to. Repairing the wall removes the acid effect.
Ingame: RigeborodIII
kasheglot

Postby Koya » Sun May 30, 2010 11:58 am

I can see it... come to claim... build village near... nuke walls :) Who need a ram :)
Koya

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements